Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Farm Mentor: keeping chickens safe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Farm Mentor: keeping chickens safe Next Topic  

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  09:44:58 AM  Show Profile
Here is what I have learned about keeping chickens safe. Have a well built coop. Something with a cement floor, so nothing can dig in around or under. Ours faces south and is all windows. The sun is high enough in the summer that is stays cool, and in the winter the chickens get plenty of solor heat to warm them up in the day. We have a chicken yard that is fenced. About 8 feet high, my dh had gotten some heavy duty panels, and that is how tall they were. We wired on chioken wire to the panels, and buried them about a foot. Again making it so nothing could get in, dig under, etc. I also let them out in the evening to graze in the lawn. I watch them though, otherwise they head to flower beds, and garden to rip things up. Of course we have a hangin roost in the coop for them.

Racoons, skunks, minks, fishers, are a few things that will kill your chickens. The skunks surprised me, I never thought they would, but they just kill and go the the next one. In my coop is a small room that I raise chicks in. Well one night I forgot to close their window, and went out in the morning to 17 dead chicks. They were about half grown. Skunk was still in there. Needless to say DH took care of that one, and we learned a hard lesson. My dog found a mink last fall, in a wood pile. I got that one, rather proud of my one shot success. But I was really glad that the dog had noticed it before it got to any chickens.

Good luck and I hope this helps anyone. Michele

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  10:23:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Michele! Thanks for all the good info. I did have a totally enclosed yard for the girls, but apparently there was a weak spot in the fencing. :( Next time, I will do the cement floor- great idea! And reinforce the bottom with hardware cloth or something strong. Those animals had better stay away. I have horrible aim and I would probably shoot my parents window out! And we only have a bb gun. I am not trusted with anything else. ;)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  10:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Michele you're a gal after my own heart! I love your mink story, and have one exactly like it...only the so-and-so wiped out 17 new laying hens before I discovered him. It puts you in a whole new mindset to open a barn door to dead (expensive!) laying hens. My dh still tells the story whenever he can...I wish he'd find a new one, like maybe about the flowers I grow or something!!
Diane
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  3:16:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele for the info. I'm hoping to start raising chickens this year and appreciate any help I can find. By the way, where is Bruce?
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  4:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Bruce is just outside of Ladysmith isnt it? on 8? I drove through there so many times....oy.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4284 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4284 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  04:50:59 AM  Show Profile
It is on hwy 8. From Tomahawk you go west, and you will hit it. My sister used to live in Tomahawk, and her inlaws still do. About a 2 hour drive to our place. That is really neat Tasha, you know where we are!!! My husband used to deliver steel in the cities, so he knows his way around Mn. some too. It is a small world!!! Good luck with the chickens Jan. If you need any more suggestions, I will try to help!!! Michele
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  10:55:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michele, as questions come up I'll come to you for help. My guy,(of 5 1/2 years) Jim, lives in Spirit in Price county. His father was born in Ladysmith. He knows where Bruce is....small world.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Farm Mentor: keeping chickens safe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page