Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Canning and preserving with honey
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning and preserving with honey Next Topic  

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  07:10:27 AM  Show Profile
I just had to tell everyone about the book I just got on interlibrary loan. I think I have to buy it now! It's called Putting It Up With Honey: A Natural Foods Canning and Preserving Cookbook by Susan Geiskopf, and it contains recipes for jams, preserves, pickles, etc., all made naturally without the use of refined sugars. That's all well and good, but what really excites me are the sections about making your own vinegars and drying fruits and vegetables. This is something I'd like to explore further in the future.

Here's an Amazon.com link to the book in case anyone is interested:

http://www.amazon.com/Putting-Up-Honey-Preserving-Cookbook/dp/0930356136/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5992020-5524810?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174572386&sr=8-1

It's well worth a look.

- Elizabeth Ann

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  08:24:00 AM  Show Profile
That sounds really interesting. I always hate putting all those cups and cups of sugar in when I'm making jam. I'll put in a request at the library! Thanks

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  08:24:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Elizabeth Ann. I'm planning to do some canning this season and my husband is diabetic, so using lots of sugar won't work for me. I'm going to check to see if my library has this book and if I like it, I'm going to buy myself a copy.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  3:50:24 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic...I will have to request this one as well. Maybe we can all share how it goes next fall, what recipes we tried and the results.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  4:57:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, this sounds interesting. With little ones, I would rather not use the refined sugars. I will look it up online. thanks for the info.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  5:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Eren - I think you'd really like this book. I just sent a reply to your note on Flickr, regarding the Pioneer Week photos and the lettuce seedlings in eggshells.

- Elizabeth Ann

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

littlegreen
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Katelyn
Spanish Fork UT
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  1:33:18 PM  Show Profile
I am excited too now! I love canning season, but I agree, using all those refined sugars in jam and my peaches is kinda sad. We will see how it goes... thanks for the info on the book, I always like to hear about books that are new to me!

www.littlegreendesigns.com ~ handbound blank books, purses, jewelry, and other fun stuff for the naturist in you!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning and preserving with honey Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page