westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  05:27:46 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls, I was wondering if you need a blog AND a web-site? I know nothing about either yet. Also, if your buss. is small do you need to register your name & do all the legal stuff?? I want to protect the name & logo but was wondering about some of this while Im learning. Not doing anything but gathering info & research for the moment.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  05:45:09 AM  Show Profile
If you are making money, legally you should register you business. As far as registering the name I would just so no one else takes it from you. You will have to register it in order to protect it. Having a blog helps to generate traffic to the site where you are selling things. I do not use mine nearly enough.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  05:56:06 AM  Show Profile
You will need to register your domain name or someone else could have the same and everyone will go to their site instead of yours as it will usually come up first in the search engines. Your web host can do this for you but make sure that you are the contact person because transfering the name is pretty messy - that's what I'm doing right now. Once it is registered and as long as you keep paying for it, it is yours only.

I suppose you could have a blog within your website if it deals with the same content as your website. Otherwise, I would probably not mix the two. If you are using your website to do business, you don't want to clutter it up or have too many options that take away from people looking at your products. In other words, keep it simple and easy to find and order your products. I built my own from scratch because I wanted to know how to fix it in case it went down and not pay a computer person which can get very expensive. FYI: Choose a web host that has a phone number for support. I just switch to Lunarpages for that very reason. Hope this helps.

Tina

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  10:54:18 AM  Show Profile
I can help you...most people have a website first and use the blog to provide general updates on products or any news that the customer might need to know. A blog also provides a little "personality" to the product they are buying and the company they are supporting with their $$$. There are ways to link the two. I am a website developer and have a blog as well. If you want, email me and we can chat more about what you are wanting to do.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

momtoeight
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Laura
Medicine Bow WY
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  9:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Don't bother with a blog unless you have a compelling reason for its existence (more than just a place to advertise - no one likes to read nothing but ads), and you like to write well enough to do it at LEAST once a week.

Bloggers are impatient people, and they like someone who entertains them regularly. If you neglect it, it is unlikely to work. If you don't provide truly interesting information (from your reader's perspective), it is also a waste of time.

The last point is that for a blog to bring traffic to your website, you also have to promote IT. That means you now have two things to promote, not just one. Gets you into a catch-22. Need to focus on establishing your website and get enough traffic to it so you can then divide your efforts, so you can't set up a blog to get traffic to your website because your BLOG doesn't get any traffic yet, and it has to get some to send any to your website!

Only about 1 in 50, or less of your blog visitors will click through to your website, so using a blog is not a substitute for promoting a website, especially not at first. A blog is just one more means of reaching another audience, in a whole range of possible options for achieving the same thing.

If you can be consistent in producing good blog content, it can help. If you cannot, then focus on something else, such as article marketing, or link building, or offline marketing to bring traffic to your website. Market through your strengths.

Laura

Firelight Web Studio - http://www.firelightwebstudio.com - Small Business Website Services with a Difference - Personal, Flexible, and Friendly
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  05:37:22 AM  Show Profile
thanks girls. Im going to a work shop on june 2 for women in buss. they provide & help w/ all the legal stuff. Im looking forward to it. Im not ready yet for a web-site but will yell when I am, thank so much.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  7:42:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
You can register the domain name you want for two years at a cost of about $8.95. It can't hurt to go ahead & "reserve" the name you would like, to assure it isn't taken when the time comes for you to open your site. It is a simple process and can be done at any time. Your site can come later.
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic info on blogs & websites Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page