westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  05:21:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a microwave I rarely use. I just heat stuff sometimes in it. This morning my daughter wanted toast & the butter was hard. I put a little bit of Land of Lakes butter in a small GLASS dish like I've done many times before w/ other butter just to soften it a bit. I turned on the MW & sparks flew everywhere! I couldn't believe it. I was glued to watching this in unbelief. At first I thought it was the glass or something, it wasn't. No matter what we put the butter in it did the samre thing. We used the same glass after taking out the butter & washing the dish & it didnt do it. We used other glass dishes, it didnt do it but it did w/ every dish we put the butter in. What in the H...?? Did they feed the cows extra iron or s/thing. I know they have 4 stomachs. What could it be? Im writing Land of Lakes this morning. That was too weird.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  05:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's scary, Michele. I've softened/melted butter in the microwave countless times. Please let us know what the Land o'Lakes people have to say about this. It isn't something in the microwave itself, is it? Did you try to heat something else?

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Mar 21 2007 05:45:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  05:55:52 AM  Show Profile
yes, we heated alot of things to make sure it wasnt the microwave. It only did it w/ the butter. Too weird.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  06:33:53 AM  Show Profile
How bizarre! I'd e-mail LOL too.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  07:50:56 AM  Show Profile
Ewww. Let us know what they say. I'm glad I make my butter. :)

Karin

(had to edit- wrong puctuation)

Edited by - Mumof3 on Mar 21 2007 07:51:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  08:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Im waiting to hear from them. I just dont know what else it could be. I dont want to accuse, I just want to know something.

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  08:20:28 AM  Show Profile
I don't think you'll hear from them.

Sometimes the density of the food helps to avoid the sparks if there is metal in a dish. More food equals less sparks. Your butter might have been too little to stop it.

I wonder if there are contaminants in the glass of the dish?
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  09:35:01 AM  Show Profile
That is really scary! Makes you wonder what they really do put in our foods.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  09:59:29 AM  Show Profile
we put other food in the same dish, it didnt happen. When we put the butter in other glass dishes it did it every time, no matter what we used. It's just so weird. I've been using this brand forever along w/ other brands & I don't use the microwave that much at all.

Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile
We had this very same thing happen too and I thought it was the microwave. Wondered why it does this?

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  11:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Carla, isn't it weird. Im glad Im not alone here. I've done it many times w/ other butter, even LOL but it never did this before.

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  11:14:33 AM  Show Profile
I just heated some up in the microwave last night and nothing... I've never had anything like that happen either. Yikes - another recall, perhaps? Let us know when you hear something. Thanks.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  11:44:52 AM  Show Profile
Are you sure it wasn't just popping and spitting? My butter can make a lot of noise while melting if it gets too hot, but I've never had sparks and I use the same brand as you all the time. Could it be your microwave? Maybe try melting it in a little pan on the stove.
Go to Top of Page

FlipFlopFarmer
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Carla
Molalla Oregon
198 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  12:36:36 PM  Show Profile
TOTALLY SURE it wasn't just popping...It made a terrible sound and there were flashes of light inside the microwave.

Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply.
Speak kindly.
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  3:29:00 PM  Show Profile
That is really strange! I don't think I would use that cube. Did you try another cube in the package? Makes you wonder what that cow ate!
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  3:50:41 PM  Show Profile
very odd........It makes me wonder if there was tiny metal shavings in it or something.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  3:56:51 PM  Show Profile
My goodness! I'm glad the microwave didn't misbehave (explode) while you were watching it. Sure makes a convincing argument for making your own butter...a skill I'd love to have. Cows will eat anything...I've heard of dairy farmers who fed their cows magnets so they would collect and pass all the odd bits of metal they ate. My husband says he's seen it himself. We were already planning on running a metal detector around the farm we just bought to make sure we collect up all the odd bits before they hurt someone or some critter.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  4:30:38 PM  Show Profile
I just came back from the store w/ shop-rite & hotel bar butter. We put both in the microwave and NOTHING. We put the LOL on a paper towel & in another glass dish & sparks flew everywhere. Its NOT the microwave it's the butter.

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  5:12:23 PM  Show Profile
land of lakes just contacted me & asked for all POP no.'s & dates on the box of butter. I told them it didnt happen w/ the other 2 we just bought & please figure it out because I dont know what we ingested. Hopefully they will figure it out soon.

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  10:24:33 AM  Show Profile
I'm glad they got back in touch with you.
~~Blessings, Mikki JO

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  12:21:26 PM  Show Profile
I had this happen to me before but it turned out to be my microwave. I usually us LOL cause it is my only choice. Sine I got a new microwave I haven't had this problem.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  05:12:11 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, cows generally do have magnets placed in their stomachs. If they don't and the metal bits they accidentally ingest go further, they can get what's called Hardward Disease, a sort of colicky matrix of things that can be deadly. But I don't think the metal could ever go into the butter after being ingested by the cow. Milk and butter are products of the mammary glands, not the digestive system. The metal would have to reach the mammaries via the blood. I would think it more likely to be from manufacturing processes in the plants.

Which is a creepy thought--- metal so fine it'd set off the microwave, but you can't see it or taste it? Soon we'll be setting off metal detectors at the airports....
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  07:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Michele- This happened to us about a year ago and I just threw away that butter. Usually I would do what you did contacting the company but was in a hurry. Let us all know what you find out. I don't usually buy LOL (it must have been on sale), but have not had the same results with store brand or other brands since then. I just thought that it was the cheapo brand of paper towels I was using!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  1:49:11 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, yes, thats what happened w/ us. LOL WAS on sale otherwise I use Shop-rite or another store brand. It didnt happen w/ the store brand or hotel bar (on sale also) & it NEVER happened before. Im waiting for them again ti get back to me. Im very curious & I just put the LOL in the freezer, were not using it jusy waiting to hear.

Go to Top of Page

MulberryMama
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jill
Prospect Heights IL
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  2:21:55 PM  Show Profile
I've had vegetables arc in the microwave if there is a small bit of dirt on them, namely celery or potatoes if they don't get washed completely. Perhaps that's the foreign matter in the butter.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic metal or iron in butter! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page