Tchr66
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Terri
Clarington Ohio
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:26:24 AM  Show Profile
I've dropped off the mail at the post office. It should be headed for Pittsburgh at 4:15 this evening. I would guess it will be in your hands in a week or two. I hope you enjoy the fabric squares as much as I am enjoying those I have received so far this month. Thank you all.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  11:41:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Do you use a rotary cutter, Terri? I always cut the selvages off and then cut 10" strips the width of the fabric (WOF), and then cut into 10" squares. It's super easy with a rotary cutter

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015 and April 2017

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  1:45:56 PM  Show Profile
Fabric squares arrived from Dianna with the sweetest little chicken note card. Love them! Thank you!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  1:46:46 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Rebecca for the wonderful fabric squares!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  1:52:50 PM  Show Profile
The farm fabric I ordered on July 14th is FINALLY to be delivered today. Everything is slower right now due to Covid. I have followed the logistics of this order and today is the day! I will get these out to everyone by the deadline. I like to send all of them at one time. Thank you to all!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  1:57:35 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca...i got your fabric ! It is pretty. Thank you.

TexasGran
Let God's light shine through you every day.

Amazon Children's Books, look for my name:Marilyn Robinson Godfrey
Craftsy: patterns for farm stick animals under my name.
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  2:51:51 PM  Show Profile
This fabric is from Rebecca (Beccalou)

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2020 :  3:05:42 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I also got BeccaLou's fabric today. I love all this farm themed fabric. Going to make a great quilt.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Tchr66
True Blue Farmgirl

467 Posts

Terri
Clarington Ohio
USA
467 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  04:03:03 AM  Show Profile
Linda, yes, I am Using a rotary cutter. I have not become proficient yet. Do you cut one layer of fabric at a time? Do you waSh the fabric first? When I did, it frayed and I first needed to square it up before I could think about 10" squares. Any other pointers will be appreciated. I can sew, 8 years of 4-H sewing projects ending with my senior prom gown ensured that. But, I have never quilted. I have inherited supplies from two generations. Mom never quilted. She too can sew, 4-H for her too, but not a lot of help in this area.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord
Joshua 24:15
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  05:58:30 AM  Show Profile
Terri, do you have a good rotary cutting mat and a long plastic quilting ruler? Mine are old, but I think my ruler is 23" x 6" . My mat 18" x 2 4" but it is not self healing! That is something I need to look at. I do not wash my fabrics first, but I do try to it the selveges away.

TexasGran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 31 2020 12:57:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  10:35:27 AM  Show Profile
Jana
Your pretties came today.
I love them both.
Thank you!

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  12:35:54 PM  Show Profile
I don't wash fabric for a quilt. I do wash it for apparel. Try zig-zagging around the edges to ease the fray. A straight stitch close to the edge will help also.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  1:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
For quilts, do not pre-wash the fabrics, for making clothes I used to, but I don't even do that now if I am in a hurry. In a quilt, if you use some fabrics that are pre-washed and some that are not, you could have problems with shrinkage when it is first washed. If some fabrics are washed and some are not, when the quilt is made and washed as a quilt, the pre-washed won't shrink as much as the non-washed. I love the way fabric that is not washed and is made into a quilt shrinks up and makes the quilt look loved and well used early on. It makes a wrinkled look, and that is what I like. I have a friend who always pre-washes her fabrics. As long as she is using all her own fabrics, that is fine. She zigzags both the cut edges before washing and it doesn't fray as much. Also, this works because I've tried it, if you snip a triangle off all 4 corners of the fabric before pre-washing it does not fray as much, sometimes hardly any.

Selvages are bad when cutting these or any pieces for quilts. The woven edge of the selvage usually extends way past 1/4", and that means you will have some of the holes that hold the fabric on the machines in your quilt. I use selvages in quilts and other projects so I always cut off 1-1/2" on the main selvage edge. When cutting 10" squares, you can get 4 across the WOF because WOF is usually 42", but not always. Sometimes you will find one that is not. Measure your fabrics first so you can determine exactly how much you can cut off and still have at the least 40" so you get 4 squares across.

Just one more FYI - One other thing to think about - Put your ruler on your cutting board. What do you see? The 1" marks on the mat are NOT equal to the 1" marks on your ruler. I haven't found one yet that matches exactly. You may not see that measuring just 1", but lineup the ruler and mat and go 4-5 inches out and you will see a difference. The ruler is usually more accurate than the mat. I always cut my strips and squares using the marks on the ruler - not the mat.

I use a rotary cutter (I have 4 or 5), 24" x 36" cutting mat (I have 3 smaller ones and 1 that is 36 x 58 - I think - it fits the entire top of my rolling table I got at JoAnn's years ago.), and my 8-1/2" x 24" ruler (I can't even count how many rulers I have. LOL!). NOTE: I have 20 sewing machines, I think, remaining - I've sold 4 so far. LOL! I cut through a lot of fabric thicknesses for squares. I basically remove the selvages, cut 3 10" strips by width of fabric (WOF), carefully layer the 3 strips on top of each other, and cut 6 10" squares at a time with 1 cut. One strip, 2 blocks at a time is, is best for beginners, especially if you aren't used to it. Just be sure there are no selvages and that your squares are square.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Jul 31 2020 1:21:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Today I received this fabric from Beth.

I also received this fabric from Jana.

Thank you so much.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2245 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2245 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  3:53:10 PM  Show Profile
I've gotten squares from Rebecca, Darlene, Marie, Dianna, Marilyn, Linda, Beth and Jana. I love the barn quilt fabric, there are many in our county and I mean to start taking pictures of them.

Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2020 :  7:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I got Jana's fabrics this afternoon. Love all these farm fabrics. Will make a great quilt or tablecloth.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

NatChap
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Natalie
Clarkesville GA
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  1:22:43 PM  Show Profile
I received fabrics from Marie, Beth, and Jana yesterday. Thank you! I will be mailing fabrics to everyone this weekend by August 3rd. Enjoy the weekend!

Keep shining!
Natalie

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  2:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Today I received fabric squares from Sherry and Marie. I love the fabrics that everyone has chosen! Thank you Marie for the folded, star, tea bag and note. Sherry the red truck on your envelope is special! Thank you both.
On our way into town this morning we met two very old trucks. The first was red. Very shiny. My hubby said it belongs to one of our neighbors. The other, more like the style of the ones on our fabrics, was restored too, and burnt orange. Then he drove to the court house square where we saw a few more. First Saturday...vintage vehicles park inside the square so people can look. Coffee and Cars!

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3930 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3930 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  3:41:11 PM  Show Profile
I received this fabric from Julie.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2020 :  5:25:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Today I received very cute fabrics from Sherry and Christine. Love everyone's choices.

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Go to Top of Page

jmpiercy
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Joan
Mechanicsville Virginia
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  4:47:06 PM  Show Profile
I have received pretty fabric from Marilyn, Vanessa, Linda, Darlene, Dianna, Rebecca, Marie, Beth and Jana. Love them!
My fabric is going in the mail tomorrow, Ladies.
Take care,

Joan P.
Farmgirl Sister #8056

"You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." - William W. Purkey

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

LLLorenz
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Lynda
Farrar MO
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  5:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Hello, ladies!! Oh everyone's new square stacks are looking so fun and farmy. My fabric will be to you this week. I apologize, I know it's late. We had surprise weekend visitors (which is when I had planned to get this all done) - our youngest son and family decided to come to the farm and stay a couple days. It was so fun with their little ones and of course, we do a little extra cooking too. So, I will get it all assembled this week, envelopes are already done just waiting for fabric. The nice thing is you still have more to look forward to! I'm excited to see my mailbox full of fabric, too. I have gotten some from: Marilyn and Julie. I will take a picture with all of them together when everyone's arrives. Happy Farm Fabric Projects!!

Take care of others knowing God takes care of you. Rom 8:28
Go to Top of Page

LLLorenz
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Lynda
Farrar MO
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2020 :  5:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that egg fabric is so cute!! Never seen it with just eggs.
quote:
Originally posted by churunga

I received this fabric from Julie.

Marie
Sister #5142

Take care of others knowing God takes care of you. Rom 8:28
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

4919 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
4919 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  10:59:24 AM  Show Profile
Today my happy mail box had fabric squares from Julie, eggs and old times pickups, so ute. I love them and Thank you.

Also I received squares from Terri. Wow! More examples of such cute tractors and farm life. Thank you Terri. Where on earth did you find those. I love the yellow bandana print. Our neighbor has John Deere tractors.

TexasGran

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7478 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7478 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2020 :  11:25:11 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I got fabric from Julie and Loretta today. I love Farm Girl Mail. I know have 10 (including mine) of the 16 sets of fabric. I am missing fabrics from Marie, Dianna, Joan, Beth, Natalie, and Terri. I think most of them have been mailed.

We have a John Deere Tractor - it resides at Ed's property currently. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Linda
Terrell, TX

Farm girl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Aug 03 2020 7:31:12 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic August 10" Fabric Swap Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page