Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  5:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone else here read "Ismael" by Daniel Quinn? A co-worker lent it to me, and I just finished it.
Without giving the whole thing away, it is about a student(adult) and his mentor, who helps him to learn about how our culture got to the point where we are destroying the planet we are living on-and what we need to change to stop destroying it.
It gave me a LOT to think about-and a whole different way of looking at the various environmental challenges we are facing. I would be interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts on it!
Jennifer

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  10:03:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi, I love that book. I read it for a course in college a few years ago. Such an eye opening book. I had to read it twice. I have been thinking about rereading it lately to refresh myself. I have also read some of his other books like the Story of B. He does have kind of two sequels I believe to the Ishmael you'll have to check out. I don't remember the names, but I will look when I get home today.
BB,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  6:03:24 PM  Show Profile
I just received this book from the library yesterday, started reading it today and I am SPELL-BOUND!! What an amazing story! Hooked me in immediately, not to mention the thought provoking way the story is progressing. I'm half way through already.

Thank you for bringing this up and the recommendation!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  5:19:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad you are enjoying it! Since I read it I bought a copy to lend to people!
Jennifer
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Ishmael? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page