Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilting is .... Next Topic  

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  6:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
SOOOOOO addictive!!! Oh my gosh I am building my first quilt and I absolutely love it. Check out my blog to see it. www.fouracrefarmgirl.blogspot.com I am just so excited! Can you tell?
I haven't put a backing on it yet. So my excitement may fade a bit tomorrow.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  7:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Birdi, hi, I'm gloria g. (berries) and an avid quilter. Quilting is my sanity!

Also girls, I just finished the 2nd Redwork Quilt, and sent it off to go with MaryJane to North Carolina. I'm sure she will post pictures when she gets home! It is beautiful if I say so myself! The blocks are adorable. It looks exactly like the other one, just has 4 more blocks making it one row longer!

Anyway, great job Birdi on your beautiful Trip Around The World. You won't be able to give it up! Enjoy every moment! Like you, it's an addiction and love it all!

Thanks for sharing!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

www.strawberryhousequilting.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  7:46:57 PM  Show Profile
very nice..I think you did a good job.
pretty colors too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  8:34:05 PM  Show Profile
Very, Very nice. You did beautifully. Keep it up. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  8:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Very nicely done Birdi! Now you know what we are all talking about!
Quilts are like potato chips, you can't have just one! Soon you will find yourself looking at fabric and stacking it to see how the green goes with the print and does that yellow calico fit in...and next thing you know you are planning a quilt you hadn't even thought of yet! You did a beautiful job and IMA seems to have cooperated! Keep stitching!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  9:09:26 PM  Show Profile
Very nice, Birdi! And welcome to the blogging world, too!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  11:00:13 PM  Show Profile
Gee Birdi you did such a nice job and I just love the colors you picked...so fresh looking.
One word of advice...STAY AWAY, far away from eBay! lol Oh, the fabrics and squares on there are sooo inspiring! I have to say I've become an addict too...I have yet another quilt on the table!
Di
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:15:19 AM  Show Profile
Nice quilt Birdi ,I have been taking a applique class since before christmas, its twice a month, ending in April. its a rose theme. Robin Griffin my good friend, and I are taking it(shes on here to shepherdess)
Its the first time that I have appliqued and im really addicted to it, I have 9 of the 12 blocks finished.I also have a felted wool quilt in progress, and a grandmother flowers garden in progress.
But this winter I have not been doing any spinning and knitting for the farmers market that I do, cause ive been doing quilting LOL
Shirley
and the market starts next month, oh my
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:33:00 AM  Show Profile
Your felted wool quilt sounds intriguing Shirley...do you have pics? I'd love to know how you did it.
Di
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:34:39 AM  Show Profile
Birdi - love your blog, love your quilt, and don't worry, your excitement will not fade. When you get to the backing, you know you are that much closer to finishing, and it gets even more fun. I love it when I get to that stage and can really see the project coming along.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  06:06:23 AM  Show Profile
Birdi!! It is just wonderful!!! Welcome to the club!!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  11:47:33 AM  Show Profile
Diane,
I go to goodwill or thrift shops and get 100% wool clothes, cut them up and run them through the washer on hot/cold and then in the dryer.
I cut the back ground squares to the size I want, maybe 8 inches or so.
Then makea cut out of a heart to fit on it(make a cardboard pattern to use over and over) then hand blanket stitch the hearts on with pearl cotton. When putting a block together have four hearts with thier points facing into middle. I sew small button in one corner of the heart.when putting quilt together i have found a wool blanket at goodwill and plan on using it.
This quilt can become pretty heavy(depending on how big you make it), so try not to buy the real heavy weight wool garments. sometimes thats all you can fine is the heavy. I think mens jackets are heaveier weight than womens wool clothes.The friend I copied from hehe put flannel on the back of hers. I dont plan on putting anything inside because that will make it heavier and with the wool it will be warm enough.then she stitched it down every now and then to quilt it together or you could tie it.
Sorry I dont know how to put pictures on here.
Shirley
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  4:11:02 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thank you ladies! I did the borders today and have the back pinned, still a ways to go. I didn't get scared which I thought this step would be rough. Alas! I am still very much hooked. I'll post pictures tomorrow. We have a very snowy day on its way. I can t think of a beter way to pass the time.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile
Snowy day in Maine, spent quilting. A blessing all the way.

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  5:12:28 PM  Show Profile
It sure is an addiction!! I have been quilting and sewing since I was a little girl. You will NEVER get bored with it. So happy to have another one of us here!

XXOO Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  6:18:54 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful job Birdi!! I love that pattern..I have one in greens like that and it is a favorite! I agree that quilting is addictive! I always have a couple going at once and can't reisist more more more!!! I need a whole day just for quilting here pretty soon!!! and I mean NEED!!!! heehee

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  11:19:50 PM  Show Profile
Birdi,
What a cute quilt. It sounds like you had fun making it!

Shirley,
I love your wool quilt idea. Is there anyway for you to post a pic? Maybe we can help? I love to quilt, but it has to be frugally done. I love that you use recycled clothes. I really feel connected to my grandma's when I quilt.

Jenny is right....I NEED a quilt day. My 8 month old grand-daughter doesn't have her grandma quilts yet. It's hard to quilt when spring has sprung, but there will be a rainy day soon.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  12:49:00 PM  Show Profile
Birdi, you picked a great quilt to start with. I find strips and squares go together eaily and offer lots of combinations. If you feel overwhelemd with the quilting, you can always have berries do it for you. She is a wonderful machine quilter. Otherwise, stick to stitching in the ditch the rows to stabilize it. And you can do straight lines diagonally if you want as well. If you really want to finish in a hurry, you can do the turn and tie, pillow type method.

Welcome to quilting!! It is addictive and so much fun. You will soon have projects in various stages awaiting the mood-should I cut today, stich blocks, put rows together or quilt that one?

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  11:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am still going on this. Ran into a little frustration, but onward i go. I have decided to tie this one. It is so large that I think IMA and I would just have difficulties with the machine quilting. I love the look though. I will tackle it on my next one. And ohhhhh, I never thought of having a couple of them going at the same time. Hmmm? Wondering, now. Thanks girls. I'll be posting on blog later, I have just been so pleasantly distracted for sure.

www.fouracrefarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

beckels
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

becky
warrington pa
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  2:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Birdi....you did a wonderful job on your quilt. One of these days I am going to sign up for classes and so I just need to do it....

beckels
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilting is .... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page