Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 ?- books about children raised in the....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic ?- books about children raised in the.... Next Topic  

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
wilderness or on farms,or wherever, places that for the most part were isolated. Or even people who were raised that way. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Cheers,

Heather

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  3:31:39 PM  Show Profile
I would recommend Farley Mowat's Lost in the Barrens. A great book about a boy and his Cree friend living up north.

I'm at work now, but I'll scan the bookshelves when I get home to see if there are any others..

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  8:36:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Heather! I don't know if you want to include fiction or not, but there are two young adult books that I just love along those lines: "Island of the Blue Dolphins," and "Julie of the Wolves." Again - I'm not sure if those were the types of books you were looking for, but they're really good...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  8:58:06 PM  Show Profile
My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George , All The Places To Love Patricia McLaughlin, Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder, Call of the Wild, Sarah Plain and Tall by Patricia McLaughlin, The Education of Little Tree, Rascal and many more! Chinaberry Books is a great resource for reading books for children. Their catalog gives great descriptions and also breaks it down by age groups.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  8:59:45 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, I love both of those books! I have Julie on the bookshelf at home.

Heather, on rereading your question I think I might have misinterpreted. Are you looking for adult or children's books? Fiction or non-fiction? The one I recommended in a young adult fiction book.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic ?- books about children raised in the.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page