lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  1:13:54 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I've been following this diet for a little over 2 years, I have offered it to folks I see and talk to in my own area and it has helped them, too. Now that I have joined the "farm" I'd like to share what I have learned with any of you who are sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I first read an article by some woman who said become a total vegetarian. No offense to other vegans out there but I like meat. So much so that I go out and hunt it myself. She also said no dairy, no sugar and no salt. Well, because of my carnivorous cravings I had to try organic or freshly killed mountain food. This is what I found:
I have NO trouble with any meats, fish or dairy as long as it's organic. Un-organic meats and dairy make me feel extremely tired for a couple of days. I actually found that I LIKE milk again because organic milk has a wonderful rich taste that commercial milk does not have. Go figure.

Sugar doesn't hurt me if I eat it in moderation. For example: a small bowl of ice cream once a month, 2 home-made cookies a week, a bag of M&M's per week, etc. Of course, not all of those together! You will pay for it.

Salt, however, does not allow compromise. Any amount causes me a lot of pain and fatigue. I know it's hard to get away from salt when you love it so much(I'm a former salt & vinegar chip lover), but believe me, after a few weeks you'll notice that food tastes better without it and you won't even miss it anymore.

Now what the writer did not mention, but that I have found, is that food additives also cause lots of pain and fatigue. But, like sugar, a very moderate amount does not seem to hurt me. So, I will have some of someone else's cooking without saying anything but in small portions. Whatever you do, and this is very important for your health, stay away from fast food, soft drinks and artificial sweeteners. Besides salt, these things caused me the most trouble.

Now, I have been off ALL medications for 2 1/2 years (I got mad before I started this diet and threw them away). I feel great, I have lots of energy, no pain and no more harmful drugs. Now, please don't do what I did and just stop taking your medications. Work with your doctor and if he doesn't believe this will work for you then just prove him wrong and when he runs a blood test he'll be surprised. I know this works because every time I mess up and have something I know I shouldn't, I pay with pain.

Now, last month, my daughter developed a thyroid problem, the doctor "thinks" it is due to an autoimmune disease (it's hereditary. My mom had MS) like Grave's Syndrome. I put her on the diet immediately and she improved dramatically within a week. She's not sick anymore, she's not napping all the time anymore. She's almost 100% again. She will always have to watch what she eats but that's better than being a slave to the pharmaceutical companies.

So, if any of you gals suffers from this, give it a try and let me know how you feel. Oh, you might want to fast for a few days first, drink lots of water and 100% fruit juice to clean out your system. I also soaked in a bath of chamomile and epsom salt. That will make you feel really tired after ward and make you sweat like crazy, but it also helps get rid of the toxins. So do it on a day that you can rest all day.

All the best to everyone. Hope you feel well soon.
Lisa Marie

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  3:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Interesting, Lisa.
Your diet is nearly identical to the one recommended for someone with chronic yeast problems. Since changing to this diet 2 months ago, I have started to feel myself coming back. I can only hope I continue to feel better.

However, I am learning even whole-wheat bread needs to be kept in moderation for me (white is a no-no). I do hope to reintroduce minimal amounts of wine and coffee - two of my favorite food accompaniments in life!

These diets have been referenced to improve MANY chronic health problems - chronic fatigue syndrome, MS, depression, and others. I have been on the bandwagon against processed foods for some time, so much of what the FDA has approved as being "safe" for us is most certainly NOT, and it is up to US to protect our own health.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  07:21:04 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, I'm sure you'll feel 100% in no time. Just stick with it knowing that your body will actually feel younger and more energetic. You'll thank yourself later and you won't even want to go back to old eating habits.

I did forget to mention white flour. I eat whole wheat everything anyway and just forgot that part. I'm a coffee lover too, but I swiched to herbal teas. It took some getting used to and it took me some time to find one I REALLY liked, but I'm not willing to suffer the consequences of coffee again even though I still think about it from time to time. Maybe, if I found an organic coffee...

Since my own healing and the healing of others that I know, I have been on the organic bandwagon myself. It's funny, when I was younger, I used to laugh at the health nuts and swear I would never be one of them. Well, I'm eating crow now! It is amazing that all these years we have eaten and fed such awful stuff to our families. I found that several members of the FDA own stock in food and pharmaceutical companies. No wonder they approve such garbage!

Last week on the news, they reported that the FDA is about to approve another drug to inject into dairy cows. They know that it is harmful to humans, but claim it will have no effect on the dairy products they produce. Ha! I'm no fool anymore. Hopefully, more and more people will realize what commercial and processed foods are doing to them and either put these companies out of business or force them to go back to the land and produce organic food again.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  07:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
It is frightening what the FDA approves is it not? Next year this time milk and meat can come from cloned cows. It's freaky!

There IS organic coffee - my little grocery store carries it, I had tried it once and it was SO INCREDIBLY BITTER I just started mixing it 50/50 with my other coffees. I'm on the herbal teas - with maybe some local honey for sweetening. I really want to grow Stevia but it is hard to find. I'm surprised at how much I really don't miss coffee that much, or the sweets - and my family has a historic sweet tooth!

I imagine I'll be able to have a "cheat" a week, just sweets in moderation.

Concerning the FDA's stock - my friend and I had a theory along those lines! It was suggested that they approve these foods known to be bad, because then people need more pills to feel better again. Yuck. What a messed-up world.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  1:33:08 PM  Show Profile
You know, I'm glad this topic came up. Both my maternal grandmother and mother have lupus, and I've been suspicious for the last five years or so that I have it also. But I'm not very clear on it the symptoms and issues with the disease, as my family tends not to talk about personal health very much. I exhibit most of the symptoms of lupus on a daily basis, but I've never been diagnosed with it. I've done some research on WebMD (I don't currently have a family doctor) but what can you farmgirls tell me about it?

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  2:11:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Amanda, I'd say just try the diet and see if you feel better. Even people who are not aware they are unwell start to feel the best they have ever felt when on this kind of diet.

Organics do cost more, but I have a good garden going, which helps offset those costs a little.
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  2:50:05 PM  Show Profile
Just to jump in real quick on one point in this discussion re: organic coffee...if you can find some Green Mountain organic coffee you might want to give it a try...it's *not* bitter and maybe only a dollar or two more per pound than the "regular" stuff, at least around here.

Good luck to all of you who face these chronic health challenges (I suffer from the occasional yet debilitating migraine, so I know what wonders a healthy diet can do!).
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  09:00:09 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Laluna. I will look for that coffee the next time I go to town. But with the bitter coffees - isn't chicory supposed to help the bitterness?

Amanda, while autoimmune diseases are hereditary, you may not necessarily have the exact same one as your mom or grandmom. My mother had MS, I have Lupus and Sojourn's(spelling?) Syndrome, my daughter has Grave's Syndrome. Lupus can have many different symptoms. Actually, it was my chiropractor who suspected it first. I was extremely tired. I had a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, I was taking naps at lunch, naps after work and going to bed at 8. And I was drinking 2 pots of coffee and a couple 12oz bottles of cola to try to stay awake in between. My hands, elbows, feet, ankles and back were in agony. I was having a hard time gardening, hunting, shopping, etc. I couldn't even swing and ax anymore or even hold a dinner plate in one hand. I was also suffering from constant bladder infections (probably more due to all of the caffeine I was drinking) and skin rashes. Several summers ago, I got a sunburn and everything I just mentioned got worse. Just as the burn was healing I developed this itchy rash. That's when my chiropractor insisted that I get tested for Lupus.

The doctor had me on 6 different medications. Some of which will damage your liver and/or kidneys over time. I didn't know anything about Lupus at the time ans figured my doctor knew what he was doing and so I did as instructed. I started to feel better for a little while but still did not feel great and still had some pain. Then one of the medications turned on me and I became so weak I could hardly stand up. The doctor switched medications and I improved a little but not enough. By this time, I had done some research (mostly doom & gloom) and was getting really frustrated with the fact that I could not seem to do what I wanted to do. I got really angry and threw all of the medications away(not a good idea). I got worse until I found this diet 2 weeks before elk season. I started the diet 5 days before the hunt started and by opening day, I was feeling surprisingly better. I still had to take a couple of naps in the forest that year but I had more fun than I had had in the 2 years before.

I improved dramatically after that and now you would never know I ever had a problem. I'm as active as I ever was and feel great. I still wear long sleeves and a hat when I know I'm going to be outside a lot (I pretty much live outside from April to October!) But that doesn't really bother me.

Lynn is right, just start the diet and see how much better you feel. It can't hurt although organic foods do cost more than non organic. But after you start cooking everything from scratch and you're not buying all of the canned, packaged, processed junk anymore, you will find that your grocery bill will balance out for the most part. One more thing...If you have city water, don't drink it from the tap! I fill a gallon pitcher before bed and by morning the chlorine and flouride are dissipated. You don't want to drink that stuff either.

Best of health to you and I hope to hear you're feeling better soon.

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Lynn, on the stevia thing. I bought a stevia plant last year from One Green World in OR. I noticed this year that several of the seed catalogs are carrying either the seeds or plants. You want the plants. It's very difficult to start from seed. I had no luck with seed. Since you are in Georgia, you might be able to grow it outside. But if you get frost you'll want to protect it. I have to keep it in a pot and grow it as a houseplant but it does well in a pot. There are also several books out on how to cook with stevia. One Green World has that, too. I've been using it in my tea, lemonade and fruit juices. It's great stuff. I'm buying a couple more plants this year so I can get enough to actually cook with.

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  2:14:20 PM  Show Profile
Lynn, stevia is available in plant form from "Well Sweep Herb Farm", and they'll mail to you. Google it; I have the 2006 catalog on my "desk top"... if you go to it, just look alphabetically.

Great topic-- I love hearing your success stories regarding auto-immune diseases by organic eating!
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  3:07:56 PM  Show Profile
I never thought about being a success story, but I sure love BEING one! It still amazes me what a huge difference something so simple has made. I want to help everyone feel as good as I do.

Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  3:15:57 PM  Show Profile
I didn't realize there was such variance in heredity auto immune disorders. I appreciate all the info I'm getting here-- the medical info I've been starting to read can be on the depressive side-- especially with the life expectancy/quality of life stuff. But I just have to remember that you all (and my grandmother and Mom) are still, for the most part, going strong.

We do eat a mostly organic diet, but I am admittedly still consuming a significant amount of processed foods and my diet is high in sugar and sodium. I find that when I'm better about eating healthy I feel pretty good, but when I get stressed out/busy I get less diligent about my diet, which just compounds all the of the problems. Lately I've been highly stressed and feeling horrible physically. Two more months of simultaneous fulltime school and fulltime work, and then I'm taking the summer to relax. (Will still have to work, but having school over will alleviate a lot of my stress issues).

I hope we all keep talking about this, it's good to hear/be a part of the conversation. I just wish I could get a difinitive diagnosis on what the issue is...

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile
The info on Lupus is very depressing. That was part of the reason I got so mad. I kept reading about people who adjusted their life around their disease, changed careers, hobbies, etc. I felt like they gave up on their dreams and settled for second best. I didn't want to change my lifestyle,hobbies or activities. I was determined to get my life back.

You have to stay positive, for one thing. Learn to de-stress for another. Stress is a significant factor for flare-ups. Take up gardening, yoga, bird watching, meditation; anything that makes you feel relaxed and ready to take on the world again. Ask yourself: Is what you are stessing over really all that important? What is the worst that could happen if you are 10 minutes late or don't get this done?

Get rid of the salt and processed foods! I know what it's like when you're in a hurry and you have to grab a bite fast (I used to live the high-pace life). But instead of stopping into a Burger King or Taco Bell, stop at 7-11 or a grocery with a speedy checkout and pick up an apple, banana, finger carrots or something else healthy. It may not be organic but it's better than chemical laden foods. Even a sandwich at Subway or Quiznos is better that the others. Don't be fooled and think a salad from McD's is good. It's not. They spray the lettuce with bleach to keep it crisp. Chlorine is bad for you. Better yet, when you know you are going to be on the run all day, pack a lunch in one of those small coolers and take it with you.

Just remember how the bad stuff makes you feel. A friend once told me that pain is a wonderful teacher. Eventually, you'll get tired of being sick or in pain and you will stop doing whatever is causing it.

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  6:34:37 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Ann, thanks for the tip on Well Sweep - they even carry some plants I would LOVE in my yard anyway, for better prices than I can get locally even after shipping. Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  10:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Lynn, they have loads of plants I'd like to have, too.

I leave for the dr. in ten minutes... and he told me over the phone that steroids are probable for me. I have no diagnosis, but the neuropathy is (we think) spreading. As I said, this is a very interesting thread. Thanks, all.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Fight Lupus Naturally Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page