Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Chapters
 Farmgirl Chapter Chatter
 Sharing our farm bounty with others
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Sharing our farm bounty with others   

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  4:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Some of us raise meat and poultry products. Others of us have bountiful gardens laden with many types of fruits and vegetables. What about farmgirl chapters donating produce and processed meat to the needy. Foodbanks will welcome this, as will women's shelters, children's homes, ect. You may find in your own circle of friends and neighbors someone may be in need of food. I have given 2 close people to me, one a single mother recently unemployed some hamburger from our processed bull. In our land of plenty, there are still people who go hungry...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2005 :  7:01:36 PM  Show Profile
great idea Jenny!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  02:58:09 AM  Show Profile
We do this with our church since they volunteer weekly at the soup kitchen. Anyone with surplus garden bounty is enncouraged to drop it off (or have it picked up) and on Wednesdays a group takes it in when they go to serve lunch and make sandwiches. The youth group has decided to go every week this summer so there should be a constant supply being delivered.I would encourage everyone to do this or find out about a family that could use the help. Hunger has no boundaries .

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2005 :  7:25:43 PM  Show Profile
If I might offer a thought: Be mindful of those who unexpectedly lose their job. They very rarely seek out resources, preferring to "tough it out". A small pan of brownies or a loaf of bread or garden produce could be just the human touch they need that day.
About a year ago I took a loaf of bread over to a neighbor's quite frankly because I had made more than would fit in the freezer. She was overwhelmed. She and her husband had both lost their jobs within days of each other when the largest employer in the county temporarily closed for seven months. She told me she felt like others were avoiding them because it was uncomfortable. I had not given it a thought until that day.
This summer as my garden produces more than I can use, I will be more diligent about sharing it with a broader range of people.
Just a thought!

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  07:25:33 AM  Show Profile
Our church has a food closet. Each Sunday we bring non-perishable food, and on Saturdays, the closet is open to anyone in need. We give out tons of food! It is amazing how word spreads, and how many people can use a little help. We gather canned meats, peanut butter, soups, and Atlanta Bread company even brings us their day old breads on Friday to give away.

We also share our garden bounty with the whole neighborhood and the folks at my husband's work. It is nice to know that nothing goes to waste when we have too many cucumbers (we do not enjoy pickles, so I do not put up cucumbers) and squash, and corn.

Now is the time of year to share! And it is good to know how many people truly enjoy doing this too, like you gals here.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  12:40:43 PM  Show Profile
You all continually amaze and inspire me. This is such a good idea. There is a plant a row project here in which you plant extra seeds in your garden for the food bank. My garden is very small right now but when I get a bigger one I plan to participate. I do share what little extra I have with friends and family.
Go to Top of Page
  Farmgirl Chapter Chatter: Previous Topic Sharing our farm bounty with others   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page