Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  1:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Today I _had_ to get outside. It is beautifully sunny without being to hot and the grass is greening.

As I walked around my backyard I found abandoned flower pots, garbage and weeds amongst the grass.

I really want to have a garden this year- the fresh veggies sound so yummy already.

Along the house the grass is mostly weed infested where it still lives and most of it is dead. So I got down on my hands and knees and raked back all the dead growth and pulled as many of the weeds as I could. I laid down a layer of newspaper over the freshly exposed earth and then got the newspaper wet and put as much potting soil from the abandoned flower pots over the newspaper. Luckily the soil underneath is thriving with worms and I am sure that it won't take them long to get going on the newspaper.

I plan on continuing to work on my garden until the baby comes. Hopefully she will give me enough time to get things planted.

I think I am going to have to stop by the co-op and buy a bunch of heirloom seeds since I don't have many seeds on hand.

Also my backyard is just a huge lot that has no fences (and no privacy) but is shared by all the duplexes in the area. No one takes care of their section and my landlords did give me permission to fence off our section. However, I think I am going to plant a row of sun flowers at the eastern edge of our section of the yard to help give it some shade and privacy. Hopefully I can afford to buy some trees to plant as well. Hmm... maybe some tomato plants in between each sunflower plant- even more barrier and then huge tomato plants wouldn't take over my garden spot...

What do you ladies think?

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  2:01:41 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa, you painted a beautiful picture. I think it sounds wonderful. And who knows, maybe your passion will rub off on your neighbors and they'll take care of their part too! I wish you much luck, and happy gardening! p.s. Maybe to even coax them along you could share a bit of flower seeds or a small pot and share with them your goals.

~~Blessings, Mikki

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Mikki on Mar 09 2007 2:03:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  3:57:56 PM  Show Profile
Anybody want to place any bets that Alee goes into labor tonite???
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  9:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*LOL* So far so good! No baby yet! I even sprinted around the hotel tonight trying to figure out where to put a guest that did not adequately convey their needs to us when they made their reservation. I got some good contractions out of that, but they calmed down when I did!

I can't wait for tomorrow afternoon when I can go and plant my sunflower "hedge"
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  10:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Yep, that sunflower hedge will be a great focus as you breath in through your nose, out through your mouth....lol.
Just buggin ya...take it easy!

Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  02:13:38 AM  Show Profile
Well, I am certainly impressed!! Giving birth to a baby and a new garden in the same season.....and boy, don't BOTH give you labor pains, ha? I bet your garden will inspire your neighbors, too. Happy planting....and breathing. Nance
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  6:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message

This is my garden space so far. Front views and then a long side view with my #1 garden helper, Sky. The newspaper is there to keep the weeds down until I have things in to plant or until it decomposes. I would like to leave it down but I need more topsoil if that is the case and I can't really dig right now :) We shall see how things are looking towards the end of the month when I will be planting.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sorry some of the pictures are a little blurry- it was windy and low light outside.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  2:31:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Today I got some planting done.

Using the above pictures as a reference:

In the section from the rain spout down to the flower pot is now planted to carrots. The rest I have a long row of peas planted next to the house, then a long row of cabbage, and closest to the grass is a long row of lettuce. I have another 12 feet or so to reclaim from the weeds (From where Sky is standing to the end of house). I have a few bare spots where I ran out of seeds before the end of the row and I did not plant anything directly under the rain spout. I am going to get some mature strawberry plants and put those in. Heres hoping it works!

I made a paint image of my ideas for my re-vamped lawn/garden so I will post that soon too. I posted one the other day on another thread but have changed the location of many things since planting makes you have to actualize the space in real terms...

Now I just want to go rent a lawn mower and tame the wild grassy area but I think that will have to wait till Doug's next day off. I suppose I shouldn't be around all the gas fumes and loud noise that mowing would be right now....

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  2:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Go to Top of Page

Alee