Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Flavored Coffee syrups?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Flavored Coffee syrups? Next Topic  

happyhousewife
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Mary
North Pole Alaska
201 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  4:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Okay- I love coffee, but only if it's disgustingly sweet. I know all that yucky syrup isn't good for me, but just plain sugar doesn't do it for me. Does anyone have any suggestions for healthier ways to add flavor to coffee? Thanks!

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  4:43:33 PM  Show Profile
can you try adding a little vanilla extract and a shake of cinnamon to your mug along with a wee bit of cream..before you add the coffee, then stir together real well.

Of course adding a small bit of icecream is yummy too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  11:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Try Sucanat. It a less processed, more nutritional form of cane sugar and has a really carmely taste when added to tea or coffe with cream.

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  3:16:22 PM  Show Profile
My favorite coffee sweetener is real maple syrup.

Robin
SALE! http://www.localharvest.org/store/M572?srt=2
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile
I have been sick and I swear this thread said flavored COUGH syrup! HAHA! I would NOT recommend adding that to coffe though!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  9:06:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can make your own simple syrup at home and flavor it with whatever extract or flavoring that you like. That way you know exactly what is in it. Just google for a recipe for "Simple Syrup"
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  04:44:00 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm, I wonder if perhaps you're what's called a Supertaster, and you have more tastebuds than most people. Supertasters are sensitive to bitterness, and also don't get along well with certain veggies because of the sulfur compounds, like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc.

If this is you, do know that there are differences in brands of coffee and their acidity and their bitterness. Perhaps changing the brand of coffee you buy will help you as much as finding a different sweetener. I'd recommend staying away from most of the big can ones (Folger's is very bitter and harsh to me, and I'm not a Supertaster), and go with something like a Papa Nicholas, a 100% Kona, or something like that.

Also, the length of the roasting time can influence flavor, so try one of the milder breakfast blends out there.

Always try and drink it freshly brewed, as the bitter compounds seem to intensify as the pot sets on the heat. Also, coffee made in a drip coffee maker is less harsh than, say, that made in a percolator. Percolators work by boiling the coffee and sending it up through the grounds over and over again, where drip makers send it through the grounds once. I avoid French press type coffee makers as they lack the filter paper that screens out some carcinogens.

I bet that, plus the addition of something like the vanilla and/or ice cream, might make it just right for you.
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  04:44:33 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Have you tried honey (it's sweeter than sugar) and then shake a tad bit of cinnamon on top of your coffee ~ yum! This is what I do even at the coffee shop.

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  07:10:21 AM  Show Profile
I am not sure, as I use plain sugar (a little), but my sister loves to add a splash of Irish Cream. She says that it is amazing, and she usually has a couple cups of coffee daily.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  6:10:10 PM  Show Profile
I too like to put cinnamon in the beans and let the water pick up the flavor along with the coffee beans.
Also, I have discovered Agave Nectar. It is not cheap. You can get it at the earth fare for about $6 for 16oz. Imagine my surprise when my husband told me that the Agave plant is what they use to make Tequlia.
This is a super sweet syrup and very tasty!
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  07:57:44 AM  Show Profile
I drink Foldgers "Simply Smooth" which is very mild in taste.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Flavored Coffee syrups? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page