farmkitty
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Angela
Anderson South Carolina
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  5:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone remember those potato cake thingies that you could use cold leftover mashed potatoes in? I *think* the "recipe" used cold mashed potaoes, chopped onions and involved lightly flouring them into cakes before frying them? Maybe it's a southern thing but I remember them from my grandmother years ago but I have never made them...just wondering if this jogged a memory from someone else. Happy Evening! Angela

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  5:19:17 PM  Show Profile
Oh ya, YUMMMMMMMY!!! I almost made some 2 days ago, but ended up just eating my leftover taters. Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods. Give me a trough full of them and I'm good! Don't need anything else!! My Mom used to form the cold taters into a pattie and dip them into an egg/milk mixture and the into a flour/cornmeal mixture and fry. Like my Grandpa would say, "That's some gooood eatin'." Are you gonna make some?

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  5:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Here is an old family recipe: 1/2 lb raw potatoes, finely grated. 1/2 lb. mashed potatoes. 1/2 lb all purpose flour. milk and 1 egg, salt and pepper. Squeeze out excess water from raw potatoes. Combine raw potatoes and mashed potatoes. Add salt and pepper and flour. Beat egg and add to mixture with just enough milk to make a batter tht will drop from a spoon. Drop by tablespoons into a hot griddle or skillet. Cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
This is an irish recipe which my family calls, "BOXTY"
"Boxty on the griddle, boxty in the pan. If you can't make boxty, you'll never get your man"
just an old irish saying.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  7:09:13 PM  Show Profile
my granny used to make something like that..they were yummy.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  10:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh, *YUM*! Of course, I don't think I've ever met a form of potato that I didn't absolutely *love*. Just strap a 10 lb bag to my buns...

Laura - I've printed your recipe. I've got taters in the truck. That's dinner for tomorrow night. ~ K

~ Kaylyn
(Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Current Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2007 :  11:14:40 PM  Show Profile
Laura, my (very Irish) father used to make these. Exact same recipe, except Daddy didn't grate the raw potato all that finely. We just called them potato pancakes. If you get the color and crunch just right, oh, there is nothing more delicious!

I also love latkes, the little potato pancakes that are a must at Passover seder in Jewish households. Of course, they can be enjoyed any time.

No matter how sophisticated we get, and how many nouvelle whatnots pass between our lips, nothing satisfies like "plain old." Isn't that right?
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  09:05:32 AM  Show Profile
My mom's receipe didn't involve any grated etc:

Leftover mashed taters
an egg
baking powder (1tsp or so)
Flour (enough to form a soft dough that will hold together)
salt and pepper to taste
Spoon into hot oil and fry until crisp -- serve hot with Karo syrup and butter. Nummy nummy!

The cornmeal sounds interesting as well.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is descended from an Irish recipe/depression type recipe --- there are lots of Scotch-Irish in them thar hills!

Blessings,

Holly

ps-- we love latkes here too!

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

Edited by - ArmyWifey on Mar 11 2007 09:06:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  12:23:15 PM  Show Profile
My mom always made these. We are Japanese so I suppose it was a japanese version of what she called potato croquettes. She added green onion and mashed potato. She used flour, egg and then dipped them in japanese bread crumbs called panko. Then she fried them. She then would dress them on a plate and add a japanese sauce. When I make them I use tonkatsu sauce on them.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  6:46:15 PM  Show Profile
I've recently discovered panko -- I love it! The flavor is subtle and it stays crunchy. Ayako, your mother's croquettes sound delicious!
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2007 :  11:00:20 PM  Show Profile
leftover mashed potatoes? that has never happened with me at the table lol.
O Panko and tonkatsu ...how cool!
I've got to get out of the kitchen threads before I end up with a bowl.
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  7:45:58 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like Shepherd's pie. Mix together and put in a casserole dish ground beef that's been browned, Lipton dry onion soup, some cream of mushroom soup, top that with a pkg of frozen corn (or peas) and on top of that put the left over mashed potatoes. 400 degrees for 30 minutes or so.
You can google 'Shepherd Pie' and find a zillion recipes for those left over mashed potatoes. Some people deliberately make too much mashed
potatoes so they can have Shepherd Pie the next day - good planning. Here's one of the websites: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000216easy_shepherds_pie.php
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  08:46:27 AM  Show Profile
Chris:

**YUMMY**!!! I haven't had Shepherd's Pie in soooooo long. I think I'll make some for dinner tonight. DH isn't here and I think my boys will *love* it! Thanks for the tip!

And you live in one of my *favorite* places in IL! I love town of Oregon - it's just *gorgeous*! DH and I have been there many times during our weekends out to White Pines. Love the Rock (I grew up in Rockford - it's much prettier down your way!), love the community, love the houses, love the antique stores & shops, love the small-town connection there.

Sorry for the hijack, gals.... ~ K

~ Kaylyn
(Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Current Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  7:02:12 PM  Show Profile
Okay girls, throwing one at ya;
Green Grits Pie.
Want the recipe? Gotta go to my blog www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
You want Irish recipies. I can give them to ya. My Mother's family is from Irland. Red hair and all. I didn't get the red hair just the love of a good time and good food!!!
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
3barrels,2hearts,1passion
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  9:17:33 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Yummie!! Thank you all for the recipes and websites! I have them printed/saved!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Potato cakes? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page