Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  09:24:19 AM  Show Profile
I've asked my parents for a adjustable dress form for my birthday, but now we need to find out what kind is best... I figured maybe some of the ladies on MJF would know...does anyone have suggestions, reviews, warnings, etc for me in chosing one?
Thanks,

~Naomi~

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  11:46:53 AM  Show Profile
I got mine from a thrift store, so I didn't really investigate which ones were best. I will say that mine has a tiny three legged metal stand that is really annoying cuz it keeps falling out. But I like the body part of it fine. Just make sure it has the sizes you want on yours. They have different sizes.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  2:20:53 PM  Show Profile
I have a queston too.
I have sewn for many years and wondered. Is it a good investment to buy one?
I am so short waiste. I cannot wear dresses/
I have tried to make a dress to fit me and my figure to no avil.
Would a dress form help me to make a pattern to fit me? Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  7:20:48 PM  Show Profile
I have an old wire cage type that we "display" things on and one of the circa 1970's dress forms that you can adjust to your measurements. It has been very helpful fitting patterns and draping fabric. I am very short waisted (although 5'6"..) and this helps me visualize what I need to adjust on the pattern before I pin and cut. If you sew alot for yourself it seems well worth it to me. How many times do you make something only to find it puckers or pulls, or bunches up somewhere you don't want it to? Knowing how to fit well makes a big difference in how you wear the garment. Hope that helps Pinkroses!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  9:29:57 PM  Show Profile
A dress form can be expensive, especially if you're not sure you'll get a lot of use out of it, I'm in the process of making a duct tape double - basically a dress form made exactly to your own body measurements (b/c it's made on your body!lol) you'll need a friend or an understanding hubby to help tape you up, then they (hopefully!) cut it off you and you stuff your new form. It can be put on a stand or can hang as well.

Here is some more info and instructions on how to make them.

http://www.taunton.com/threads/pages/t00002.asp

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  03:07:20 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do a duct tape form. I saw that last year, but didn't have anyone to help me to do it. I did recently purchase a fully adjustable form, but haven't had anyone to help me with that one too. It is I think called Uniquely You. You have to resew the muslin cover in a specific order and then stuff the foam rubber "body" into it and zip it closed. Depending on how you have altered the muslin cover it is supposed to be your exact body double. Just no body to help me do the pinning. So it is sitting here, huge with pointy bosoms. I do have a tiny probably size 8 one that I bought in a thrift store, her name is Andrea and you see her in all of my photos on my blog. I do love having at least her for draping and showing finished products on. I also thrifted a wire one which holds finished products in the shop where my skirts are. So get one that is easily adjustable, unless you have someone to help you, and pinnable.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  06:20:41 AM  Show Profile
I can just see my husband's face now as I ask him to wrap me in duct tape to make a dress form. He already thinks I'm insane and this would absolutely confirm it for him!! I think it's a great idea, but the thought of looking at my duct tape twin with all of it's extra bumps and folds sitting in the corner of the craft room taunting me, well......If nothing else it would inspire me to get back in shape!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  06:29:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm sitting here laughing..thinking of farmgirls around the country done up in duct tape with no one to cut the stubborn stuff off of them..oh my..what a funny visual! LOL sorry..the coffee hasn't kicked in just yet...LOL

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  06:36:25 AM  Show Profile
I got mione on ebay and I love her, though I am thinking on finding a new one as Valerie is old and some of her screws are missing (WOW LOL).

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  06:51:04 AM  Show Profile
Right now JoAnn.com has them on sale for 129-175.00. If you sign up for the mailing list they send you a 40% off coupon. I don't think that's too expensive for something that should last your whole lifetime ( if you get an adjustable one.)

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  06:56:03 AM  Show Profile
thanks Bramble..we'll have to check into that.
appreciate the heads up.

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  08:14:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies!
I cant wait to really get started, I think with the dress form it will be easier for me to actually design stuff as well....hurray.....haha
Thanks,

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  08:22:11 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tina Michelle

I'm sitting here laughing..thinking of farmgirls around the country done up in duct tape with no one to cut the stubborn stuff off of them..oh my..what a funny visual! LOL sorry..the coffee hasn't kicked in just yet...LOL

LoL! I'm sitting here drinking my morning tea and almost snorted it when I read that. Good image! Thanks for the giggle, Tina.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  09:08:27 AM  Show Profile
Tasha-that's so funny!! I have an old dress form that I've had for years and her name is Lily. She even went to farm fair with me last year. She's wearing a "make do" apron that I made based on the one in Mary Jane's last magazine. (which, by the way, was a ball to make and very easey) I also made one out of an vintage nighty that has big green polka dots all over it. Aren't dress forms fun?! I had wanted one for so long and will never part with her!!

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  10:01:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi there,

I bought the Singer one new off of ebay, although it's offered at Jo-Anns for basically the same price when it's on 50% sale. It's adjustable sizes 10-16. It cost $129 new.

I use it all the time: for hems, to photograph clothes for ebay, and for fitting. I wish that I'd gone into the Jo-Anns and looked at the things before buying one though. I have a terrible time adjusting the height of my lady... she frequently shrinks (the height adjustment knob doesn't tighten properly) and I overcompensate by setting her too tall. So my form is either much taller than me, or much shorter. Sigh.

If I'd bothered to go look at them before buying, I might have chosen the slightly more expensive Dritz (~$150 on sale) model if it had an easier height adjustment feature.

Hope this helps.

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  10:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Great, thanks, I am actually looking at the Singer models, because on the Joanns site the Dritz had alot of bad reviews, of the dials breaking, the form coming off the stand etc. so your form, is the only bad thing the height adjustment? do the dials turn easily, no sign of them breaking? how easy is it to change the size/measurements? I will do some more reading though...
Thanks,

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2007 :  12:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Here is a much cheaper idea and I'll be able to tell you in about 2 weeks how it works. In the back of How To Make Sewing Patterns by Donald H. Mc Cunn, there are instructions to make your perfect dress form out of artists board and about a dozen of your own measurements. I am going to make my form and have hubby make a stand to my height to put her on. One of my friends has had several diffrent brands of new dress forms and she says they all fall apart and still don't quite represent YOU. I have my eye on a vintage form at my favorite thrift store, but Miss JoAnn uses it for her dress displays and will not let it go.

Oh, Naomi...I just love your name. I wanted to name one of my girls Naomi, but hubby wouldn't go for it (the other name the grumpy bugger nixed was Esther).

Trina

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2007 :  07:44:59 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Trina, Naomi is a unique name and so far I've only heard of other people having my name, and when i do its only been a max of at most five people.
Naomi is pretty, thogh i'm not sure how often I live up to the meaning of "Pleasant" or "Pleasant one", haha, I can be quite a rascal, and have shown I can be very stubborn. haha

I'll keep everyone's replies in mind when I chose my form...
Thank you ladies,

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  6:45:50 PM  Show Profile
Oh Yay! I'm sooooo excited, we ordered my dress form today! It should be here between Monday and Friday of this coming week(March 26-30)..."Thanks Dad!"
So far, I think this will be my best birthday present in sometime!
gotta run, going to clean my room so I can finish a quilt:D...oh yeah, I got a Singer form, found lots of good reviews, better then the Dritz my double form, lets hope we picked a good one...haha
I'll be around,
Grinz,

~Naomi~

Edited by - Naomi Michelle on Mar 21 2007 6:47:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  11:10:42 PM  Show Profile
you are ever so welcome Naomi.:0)your dad is a real sweety.I'm really glad that you are excited about this. I know that you've wanted one of the dressforms for a while. I love how creative you have been lately and how much you have learned in just a short while about sewing.I'm very proud of you (can't believe my baby girl will be a "sweet 16" and just about all grown up now)Happy Birthday (on April 2nd)..love, Mom

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Mar 21 2007 11:11:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  08:12:11 AM  Show Profile
Awwe...moms feeling..whats the word?.....old?...no no i'm joking....yes mom i am excited, and have wanted the form for a while. yes daddy and you are both very sweet, i am extremely lucky to have such wonderful parents.
I'm happy I've learned so much in the short year that i have been sewing as well. You better be proud of me! sheesh...if you werent, there must be somethin' wrong with ya! you have the most talented teenager in the whole county, no...the whole state, this girl start her first "business" when....when i was 12-13....so yeah, you had better be proud...:P
yeah...i know i'll be 16 mom.....hard to believe eh? 16 years...zoom..out the window...gone....vamos...so...heh heh...whatcha gettin' me? :D sweet sixten...it better be good.....hehehehe
love ya....oh btw...um...why in the world are we communicating via a forum? we are each in the next room, takes us what? a few seconds to go talk in person?....
haha
love ya mom
Grinz,

~Naomi~

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile
silly girl..because as your mom..I just sort of wanted the whole world to know that I think you are special...It's called "mom's bragging rights" every mom does it just a wee bit.

Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:25:40 AM  Show Profile
A wee bit? you do it alot! haha
love ya