Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **News from MaryJanesFarm
 Sunflower Sundries Breakfast Trio
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Sunflower Sundries Breakfast Trio Next Topic  

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  1:56:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies!!

I’m so excited to share the fantastic news with you! Jennifer Gleason, owner of Sunflower Sundries, has agreed to let us sell her amazingly delicious jams through MaryJanesFarm website. We are so excited about Jennifer’s jams that we want all of you to experience them. Here’s what MaryJane had to say about them:

“I’ve been making jams my entire life, but Jennifer Gleason, an organic farmer from Kentucky, had me on my knees asking, “What’s the secret ingredient in your jams?” “Well,” she said, “it’s what I don’t add that makes them so different. I never use pectin. I cook my preserves at a high temperature and stay right with them as they thicken. Most women simmer their jams slowly. But that darkens them, and they lose their color and flavor.”

Since 1992, Jennifer has been making jams in a commercial kitchen in the basement of her farmhouse. She now makes about four thousand bottles of jams annually.

All the dozens of farmgirl entrepreneurs I’ve met in the last year got me to thinking. What if we flat-out supported each other, no matter what? (If you don’t have someone nearby, most farmgirls are willing to ship their treasures in the mail.) Even if we do shop for organic jams at a health food store, the quality isn’t as good. I can assure you, the flavor and texture of Jennifer’s jams are far superior to anything I’ve found, organic or otherwise. And did you know that companies like Pepsi, Coca-Cola, Dean Foods, General Mills, Heinz, M&M Mars, Unilever, and Philip Morris/Kraft are slowly buying out all your favorite large-scale organic companies? The ones with names such as Ben & Jerry’s, Cascadian Farm, Nile Spice, Back to Nature, Muir Glen, Arrowhead Mills, Health Valley, Celestial Seasonings, Odwalla, Tostitos Organic, Horizon Organic, and Seeds of Change.

When the goods you buy have a farmgirl face, things like loyalty, trust, and a better world come extra and free of charge in every container.”

They come in a pack of 3 jams: Organic Blackberry, Organic Red Raspberry, & Organic Strawberry Rhubarb (my favorite!!!). To see a picture go to:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/pfoshop/product.asp?dept_id=237&ProductID=30041001.

Enjoy!!!!

Theresa Paul
CutiePatootieFarmgirl
MaryJanesFarm

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  1:58:04 PM  Show Profile
MMMMMmmmmmm - strawberry rhubarb! That's my favorite pie - it's just GOT to be a wonderful jam! Thanks, Theresa - I can't wait to try them!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  3:23:14 PM  Show Profile
You're so very welcome Libbie!

:) Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  12:33:27 PM  Show Profile
I am ordering some ASAP! I will let you know how they taste;)
Rebekka

Nature does not ask permission. Blossom and birth whenever you feel like it!

Clarissa Pinkola Estes
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  2:44:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Rebekka! I'm hoping to order some soon myself!!!

Theresa
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  6:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh- those sound wonderful! I will have to buy some next month!

I totally agree with supporting each other concept. What a great farmgirl notion. A true farm needs a strong network of people that creates bonds that are sometimes stronger than family.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

cathy jane
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Cathy
Cynthiana Kentucky
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  3:36:30 PM  Show Profile
WOW! I am so thrilled to see that MJ is working with Jennifer to sell her lovely jams. Sunflower Sundries is located about an hour from my home, and my daughter and I love to visit during their annual Christmas Open House in December. The jams are without a doubt the best you will ever taste! I make jams and jellies that are good, and I've wondered why Jennifer's are better - I thought it was because I didn't have to make them! Now I know that it's her cooking process. She sets out lots of goodies to sample during the Open House in basement kitchen which is actually not all that big, but is set up to be very efficient. And, I do know that she makes her jams in small batches to ensure the best quality product possible. Her soaps are wonderful, too, my favorite being the lavender with rose geranium running a close second. She usually has pickled asparagus for sale, too - it is an unusually tasty treat.

FYI - Jennifer uses locally grown ingredients in her products besides what they grow on their farm, and she has local help with things like wrapping the bars of soap in the lovely labels. She definitely supports the local economy as much as possible - hoorah for Jen and MJ! We definitely need more business people/farmers like them!

cathy jane

"Treat everyone you meet today as if they are wearing a sign that says MAKE ME FEEL SPECIAL!" Mary Kay Ash
contact me at www.marykay.com/cathyjrichie
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  4:46:31 PM  Show Profile
Love all the great new stuff you are selling! Keep up the good work!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  6:58:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey Gals, I visited Jennifer's Sunflower Sundries today (July 4th), just by chance. DH and I went for a long, rambling, wonderful drive, taking us about 2 hours away from home. We were on our return trip, when I saw a bright "Sunflower Sundries" sign posted on the road we were on! A few miles later, we pulled into her gravel driveway, in front of her beautiful gray federal farmhouse. We were met by two sweet "muttkin" dogs, who told the proprietor in happy barks we were there. She came right out and told us all about the farm, and the herbs, soapmaking processes and how she makes her mustards, jams and jellies. Oddly enough, we found that she and dh worked in the same place (she, many years before) and that she and I share a mutual friendship with one of the greatest people on the planet! So uncanny! She was beyond welcoming, showing us the garden, and the small commercial kitchen where she cooks up all her yummies. We left with hot garlic mustard (one for us, one for a gift), gooseberry jam, homemade salad vinagrette, and a pretty handmade wooden spoon and a dozen fresh eggs from a variety of hens! What a day!

Oh, if you get to Sunflower Sundries in Mt. Olivet, Mason County, Kentucky, and you DON'T get to meet Jennifer because she's not at the farm, there is an honor system, just leave your money in the cash box for your purchases. I can guarantee you won't leave without something wonderful!!!!!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2007 :  8:16:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

It sounds amazing! Did you stop because you recognized the name from MaryJanesFarm?

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  12:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Too bad I am this far away. Supporting eachother entrepreneurs is a fantastic idea too. All my thoughts with you all.
Corinne
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  06:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Alee--
I've purchased things from her at festivals (mainly Berea, Kentucky) over the years, and have been to the Mays Lick Asparagus Festival a couple of times (it's a BIG deal around that little town :)), and knew that there was a farm, but just didn't really think to go. When dh and I were driving those backroads, he said, "Ok, we're heading towards Mt. Olivet" and I thought, I THINK that's where her farm is, bet she isn't open today...and then we saw the sign and he was totally game to find out! It was a nice surprise for me when I saw the posting that Maryjane was going to start selling her things.

I asked her about Maryjane's Farm, how she ended up getting together with her, and she said folks kept telling her how she reminded them of this lady, MaryJane Butters, so, she set out to find who she was, liked her "thing" and sent her a package of stuff with a note that said, in essence "here's who I am, I like who you are", and it took off from there. She told me she had just shipped 238 jars of something (jam, jelly???) to Maryjane on Tuesday!

Hey Corrinee...she has a great mail order business, too. I'll give you the link to her site, or you can order from MaryJane. I HIGHLY recommend the pickeled asparagus

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2007 :  08:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jonni-

Thats awesome! I am so glad the contact with MaryJane has been good for her! You know, I think one of the sweetest things about MaryJane is how she helps so many women support themselves in the lifestyle that they have choosen. Like MaryJane's Project F.A.R.M, where she pays people to make the wonderful goods that you can buy from the site, to showcasing individual artists in her magazines- so selling things for people like the Sunflower Sundries!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Sunflower Sundries Breakfast Trio Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page