Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's blooming at your house? Next Topic
Page: of 4

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  06:32:50 AM  Show Profile
Our possums are very different to yours, I can't think of anything else like them that are furry and live up trees except koalas.

The Wiggles, the children's group are Australian and our kids get such a kick out of seeing the Wiggles in Central Park singing "Gidday Squirrels".

This is the closest we have to a racoon, I hadn't heard of them before actually.

http://australian-animals.net/

tree kangaroo.

Edited by - FloralSaucer on Sep 07 2005 06:40:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  09:09:02 AM  Show Profile
The diversity of the animals is so interresting to me. perhaps we should begin a section on the animals in our various regions and how they affect us as farm girls and gardeners. Guess I will.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  10:42:45 AM  Show Profile
We have two types of squirrels here in Oregon. In the cities - we have the European import, cute, small, carmel brown color. Also a pest, likes to climb into opens spots in houses and they breed like rabbits. It is also against the law here in the Portland City limits to kill a squirrel on purpose. We had to catch a few of them that were pests and relocate them to a park miles away. The other type is the rural squirrel, mostly found in Southern Oregon and on the east side of the mountains. Big, grey and kinda ugly. Also very aggressive and a big pest - but this breed of squirrel, as I have been told, is a native to Oregon - not an import. Both squirrels climb trees, etc. The other thing we have here in Portland is a hugh population of raccoons and in some parts of the city coyotes. I try to just work around our urban wildlife - if I fill the birdfeeders, I buy stuff that is for everyone - including the squirrels. Too hard to keep them out of it. They and the raccoons usually get a small portion from my vegetable garden too - just trying to keep everyone happy.

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Lorij! Beauuuuuuuutiful!!! Thank you for sharing!

May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently through the world and know its beauty all the days of your life. ~~Apache Blessing
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  10:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Lovely, Lorij! Here in the midwest, the garden blooms right now with catmint, Lovely Fairy shrub roses, Alma Potschke and Purple Dome asters, white boltonia, 'David' phlox (in its second bloom!), several colors of buddleia, verbena bodnariensis, white salvia, nicotiana coming back from seed so in its best bloom right now. . . . also grasses, coleus still going strong, ivy leaf geraniums, artichoke growing new foliage after its crop (will winter that indoors). I'll be doing autumn containers for several clients this week -- using ornamental kale, bright lights chard, Purple Palace heuchera, toad lily, and of course mums and pansies. And some wisps of grasses, too, if I can find the right height & size of pots. A lovely time of year here as the frost is on the pumpkin and I can't wait to make tortellini soup for tonight!
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  12:22:57 PM  Show Profile
Thankyou LoriJ,
I love your site. I went to your art sight again just for th fun of it. I hope someday to have mastered the art of computer enhancement of my photos. You must have so much fun.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2005 :  5:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Lorij. I saw tortelini soup with pumpkin recipe a few days ago, I wonder where I put it, sounds great!

It is so hard, our crepe myrtles won't be out for months yet. I am just at the tulip flowering stage.

I think your rose is a carpet rose. I have one the same or similar although mine was here when we came too. We have a lily like that but ours is pale pink. Is tickseed coreopsis?
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2005 :  6:18:15 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Eileen

My perrenial sunflowers are just beginning to bloom but my annual ones even the burgandy and brown ones still are not showing any sign of blooming. They are at least 10 feet tall but no buds even? Hmmmmm?
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth

Boy is my face red!!!The sunflowers I thought were growing must have been eaten by the birds and what was growing in the same place that I mistook for sunflowers were sunchokes!!! Duhh! In fall of 2003 I planted sunchokes to harvest the following fall right about late october. Meanwhile in December of 2003 I had my first total knee surgery. Then in summer those chokes were growing very well and I was waiting until they had died back before I was going to harvest them. Here is where the Duhhh comes in. I went in for my second total knee surgery on October 10 2004 and they were not yet ready to harvest as everything was still growing. WEEEELLLLL...... In the meantime I had forgotten that I had them in the ground there and had not harvested, (my excuse was I was on some pretty strong pain medication and post surgery forgetfulness) Sooooo what has been growing there all summer up to 12 feet tall with narry a bloom were those jerusalem artichoks or sunchokes!!! I discovered this today after I finished moving all the strawberry plants from the broken raised bed and found I did not have enough room for them so wanted to use the space where those non blooming sunflowers were now dead and drying in the wind. I began to pull out those stalks the size of corn stalks and I discovered that attached to the roots and deep stems were all of these wonderful tubers.( LIGHTBULB turns on here)Aaahaa! I just finished digging up a bushel of those tasty tubers and had one with my evening tea! I will have to finish with the strawberries tomorrow as I have run out of daylight and it has gotten cold.
Not one of my most embarrasing moments but close!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2005 :  08:50:44 AM  Show Profile
Lori,
When your pears bloom out of season do they get fruit that year at all? Do they bloom again at the right time?
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

FloralSaucer
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Australia
156 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2005 :  4:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Some of my sunflowers are a different color and seem to have more flowers than the usual ones. Can't wait to see them, shouldn't be long now!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic What's blooming at your house? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page