owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  07:33:40 AM  Show Profile
I didn't see this on a previous topic so I hope I'm not repeating a thread. Has anyone read this book by Dr. Michael F Roizen? I watched him on PBS this weekend during their fundraiser. I've seen him before on Oprah talking about heart disease. I was impressed by what he said and even though it was a lot of what I've heard before, I think the way he goes into detail about how your body actually works, plus the body parts visual displays (ick), really hit home. The next morning I got online to reserve the book at the library but I was number 32 in line. Well, I went off to Barnes and Noble and found it at 30% off, so I bought it. I've only gotten through the first 2 chapters, but it's very interesting. Jim and I did the belly measurements and checked them against what they should be...oh, boy we've got a LOT of work to do. Let me know if you've read this and had success with changing your lifestyle. I know I can't keep on like I am with my eating habits and lack of exercise. It didn't show up as much in my 20's but now in my mid 50's...yikes. Wish me luck with my new healthy lifestyle changes.

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  09:50:25 AM  Show Profile
My daughter and I watched "Oprah" when these two doctors were on talking about the book. I ordered it -- I work for a library system and get a discount (one of few perks!) -- and found it to be really, really interesting. I was ready for a change as it was and joined Weight Watchers with a friend at the beginning of January. So I've been following the WW's plan but still find the "You" book a good, amusing (sometimes corny!) resource.

I think some of the most important things to remember include: Whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta -- I'm working on that, mixing it with the regular stuff, as I don't like the taste), fruits and veggies, moderation, don't deprive yourself of anything, and EXCERCISE!

When my friend and I joined WW, she said she hated giving up the control she had over what she ate because she felt like it was the only control she had sometimes. In actuality, we didn't really have control over what we were eating. Food had control over us and we were eating and eating and eating, because we wanted to and no one could tell us not to. We still have issues with things but we're working on it.

All the best to you! Taking control not only makes you feel and look better, it also can be kind of a natural high because you've taken charge of yourself.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  12:29:06 PM  Show Profile
I joined W.W. in the early 70's and lost 30 some pounds. It was the old program, but I think it was more so the meetings that helped. I just want to get healthy now. I'm not as concerned about what the scale says like I used to be. Good luck to you on your W.W. journey. It's a very reasonable eating program that is very practical also. And yes, the book can get a little corny...I get a kick out of the illustrations. At least it's interesting reading.
Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  9:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Some of you might enjoy this website; this lady has her introduction and she has a wealth of sound information on her site. It does contradict some things I've believed; however, she gets to the bottom of many beliefs we have, where they originated, and if they are true or not.

http://www.junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/

Val
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  08:01:17 AM  Show Profile
I just read in this book that cinnamon helps curb hunger...Cinnabun here I come!! Thanks Valerie for the website.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  08:15:57 AM  Show Profile
Jan -- I made big changes to my eating habits last year -- emphasized lots of veggies, fruits, rice, beans, almonds. Also, went very low sodium (I followed the DASH diet on the Mayo Clinic website). I lost 65 pounds in 8 months! Along with my better eating (and no eating after 7 p.m.), I walk at least 1/2 hour a day. When I wanted to kickstart my metabolism in the beginning of my program, I'd walk 45 min in the morning and another 30 min in the evening. So, it can be done! I've checked into the YOU diet online and want to follow their exercise program for the tummy area, since that's where I still have a little work to do.

Once spring comes, start walking -- I am a big believer in that! You can do it!

Oh, and cinnamon lowers blood pressure. But not in Cinnabon form!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  5:55:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh...blood pressure. Well mine is low average already so no Cinnabun for me!! lol Congratulations on the 65lb weight loss!! That's really great. Nightime eating is the worst for me. When I lost 20lbs some years back, I did what you did also, no eating after 7. It worked really well. I get bored at night and that's my biggest eating time...gotta stop that!!
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  4:48:05 PM  Show Profile

Thanks so much for the heads up on this show. I bought this book for my MIL for Christmas, but hadn't really heard about it before then. I Tivo'd the show & watched it the other day. I love that he tells you why you become fat. I also taped another show this week also on PBS, "Fiber 35" the woman on here is a dr. as well & she lost weight just by adding 35 grams of fiber to her diet. i have to finish watching it, but it looks pretty good. One thing she mentions is that 65% of Americans eat 10grams or less of fiber a day, is it a coincidence, that 65% of Americans are obese?
I ordered the You on a Diet book & can't wait to read more. I am sure alot of it is what we all know we need to do, but I like that he tells you why instead of just telling you what you should or shouldnt do & on the show what the effects look like on your liver too.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  6:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I saw that the fiber show was going to be on, but I missed it. Good news...my first week of following the "You" program, I lost 5lbs and 1 inch off my waist!! Yippeeeee! Now, I realize the first week you always lose the most, but I was always full, felt so much better, and ate lots of fruits and vegetables instead of grabbing whatever was quick and easy. The very best part is that my craving for sweets is gone. I don't even feel the desire to eat like I was...lots of sugary stuff. I'm really enjoying this and I think the difference also is that I'm doing it more for my health now. Good luck with your journey also.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  3:32:08 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the 5 pounds! My book has been shipped, should be here any day. can't wait to get started. Even if you have no weight to lose, it would be a good program to follow. Nothing wrong with eating lots of fruit & veggies, we should be eating more of those anyway. It will be nice to see those cravings go away.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  3:38:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kelly, I have about 15lbs to go, but I plan to eat like this forever! I feel so much much better and find that it's just as easy to eat this way as it is to eat bad. My biggest problem is the exercising. I will work around the yard for exercise, but when it comes to something more disciplined, that's another story.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  5:37:27 PM  Show Profile
I am the same way with exercise Jan. I can eat great, but I would rather work in the yard or something fun than formal exercise. I feel I can do the 30 minutes of walking though, it's just starting it. I have more than 15 to lose, but it will be a way of life to eat that way, not a "diet". I can see eating that way forever. Dr. Roizen looks so young too. Hard to believe he is 61.

Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  08:34:12 AM  Show Profile
Really??? He's 61! Wow, I didn't know that. Shows you what a good diet and exercise can do. Well, we're on our way...
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic "You On A Diet" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page