Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  5:58:18 PM  Show Profile
I just got some fabric on sale and a pattern I love for making myself a few skirts for spring. I plan to make a couple patchworkish type too, with fabric from my sizeable stash. I look forward to skirt weather...it is still pretty cold here. I do wear skirts some on cold days..but much much more in summer. I like solid color tops with pretty print skirts. I even got some white for making a long petticoat. We will see if I really wear it..but I got it..so you never know.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  6:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Ooo that sounds nice Jenny! Would love to see them when you finish them!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  6:43:03 PM  Show Profile
I don't sew my own, but I love to wear them. I have several that I wear in the warmer weather, Wish I could sew them, so many choices in pretty material.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  05:00:03 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking of skirts for many weeks. Like you, I wear them more when it is warm out. My legs get cold so easily. I bought Amy Butler's pattern for a patchwork apron last year. She now has directions to change it into a wrap skirt on her website. that is going to be my first skirt for the spring. i jsut hope my daughter does not take it from me. She took my favorite find at salvation Army last week, a warm and cozy fake suede and shearling coat from Old Navy. I have only seen it on her since I brought it home and washed it. Hurray for spring on its way.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  2:09:46 PM  Show Profile
I wear skirts in the summertime at home. I usually make some out of cotton. 100%. Like at JoAnn's
It was a really hot summer this past year
We only have 2 window units
We live in an old house ; it is cold in the winter time and hot in the summer time.
I usually wear a cotton knit t-shirt with it. pinkroses
Oh, I just gather and put in elastic. and pockets.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  3:15:54 PM  Show Profile
I wish I knew how to sew! You ladies talking about skirts makes me jealous. I do know how to sew a straight stitch and do basic stuff like make valances, quilt tops, etc., but following a pattern is iffy, and if I tried to use any material that was stretchy or anything I'd be in a world of hurt.

I'm with you ladies on wearing skirts. I'm cold-natured and can't wait for it to warm up enough to pack away the pants.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  3:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jenny sounds wonderful. I love wearing skirts.I hope you will post some pictures.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

www.athomewithelizabeth.blogspot.com

May the Lord bless you and keep you.
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  3:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Happymama if you can make a valance you can make askirt. give it a shot, suddenly in a few days time you will have enough skirts for everyday of the week and a few for your friends too.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  11:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Patti,
Give it a try, I know you can do it!

Trina

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  11:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Okay, ladies. When I find the boxes with my fabrics in them I'll be back to ask how to do it and then I'll give it a try. Until then I'll read all your posts and see what I can learn.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  1:26:34 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- what pattern are you using for your skirts?

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  10:37:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh Jenny!! How wonderful.. I just sorted out a bunch of fabric to make some skirts too!!I tend to spend a few weeks cutting patterns so that I have plenty to choose from and then I can pick up a sewing project whenever I want. The problem I have now...3 kids....I don't have quality time to sew..so I sew in snippets..a seam here.. a button hole there.. Eventually I get a garment made. I'm happy with that...before I know it, I'll have plenty of time to sew more often and my kids will be grown!!!!!!!!! Take some pictures and let us see your work!!
many happy smiles to you
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Naomi Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

1563 Posts

Naomi
Sunshine State
USA
1563 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  3:04:40 PM  Show Profile
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be-Abraham Lincoln

Edited by - Naomi Michelle on May 29 2009 8:38:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  4:27:31 PM  Show Profile
What pattern do you use Jenny? I love skirts but have never found a pattern I was pleased with.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  7:30:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for inspiring skirt "talk".
I re-injured my knee & the Dr. told me to wear the brace directly on skin with shorts. Now I have the body of a 47 women who's had 7 children. I don't wear shorts above my knees. So I need to start where skirts instead. A great reason to dig into the stash & makes some to even wear working in the garden.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  4:43:03 PM  Show Profile
I will soon be having knee surgery (not sure exactly when...will talk to doc again on Friday about it) and I KNOW skirts will be my answer. I am already wearing them most days all day again now. That or my overalls. I don't have the legs for shorts..haha.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  5:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Jenny did you see the peasant skirt pattern? I think the link was posted here a few days ago. I am going to try that when I finish all the other projects I have going!

"So many interests so little time!"

http://lovelifelivegrrl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2009 :  10:50:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh !! Didn't see it..I will search for it for sure...sounds like my kind of skirt!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  07:37:47 AM  Show Profile
If you find it Jenny, please post a link. I looked for it yesterday after I saw MaryAnn's post, but I couldn't find it!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  07:51:32 AM  Show Profile
I have been planning on wearing cotton skirts this summer too, and have been getting them where ever I can find them, and I bought some beautiful material (that was on sale!) to make a couple but I'm having trouble finding a pattern I like, so if anyone has any suggestions post them here!
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  07:58:51 AM  Show Profile
Found it - here's the link for the peasant skirt.
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=JC&Screen=PSKIRT

I'd like to have a pattern for a midcalf, full skirt. Doesn't sound like it would be hard to find but I haven't found any...
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  08:08:51 AM  Show Profile
One pattern I like to use is Simplicity 5597. Fits well, it's easy and I like the little inset flare thing in the front of view A. Sorry, can't get the link up now, my computer's acting up, but it's discontinued but there are a lot of them available if you do a search.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2009 :  2:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for posting the peasant skirt link..I will be making some for sure. I have just about worn out my two favorite skirts..one is chambray about that same style and another is a lightweight denim with a cute embroidered edge on the bottom...not as "flippy" as my daughter would call the peasant style. I like "flippy" myself! I have some fabric I love, but not enough for skirts..I will just use it all maybe! I have had my eye on some patch work type skirts..too expensive for me right now..I will just make my own maybe...that style..but maybe make the long strips of fabric from more than one ...so you get even more of a peasanty look going, right? Perfect garden skirt!!
I will have to check out that simplicity pattern too, Sherri!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  07:37:02 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, Maybe something like this would work?
http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=0H2R&dir_id=1137&group_id=11943&cat_id=15128&subcat_id=15130

I did make the peasant skirt last night out of the material I was itching to use, it was very easy and came out great!

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  07:50:25 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sherri, I looked that one up and liked it too, so just bought it on eBay!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2009 :  11:57:38 AM  Show Profile
I like that one too..vertical strips...great idea...It hadn't occured to me..duh. I love the broomstick skirts too!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic skirt making Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page