Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What kind of chicken? Next Topic  

Rosenwalt
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Rose Marie
NY
77 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  4:38:50 PM  Show Profile
If you have the time, I'd love to cluck about what breed of chicken you have, if you like or dislike them etc.
We are going to get broilers (prob a Cornish cross or White Hubbard) but I would also like maybe Araucanas, Ameraucanas, or Sebrights. I will probably just have a few but I would like maybe one nice, friendly-type of rooster. And anyone know about the Wyandottes?
Thankee, thankee,

Rose Marie,
Central New York

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  5:54:18 PM  Show Profile
My nicest friendliest roosters have been Barred Rocks. Rhode Island reds are nice too. My rooster now is a bantam cochin..not the friendliest, but not mean..and that is a plus.
I want to get some araucanas again this year. I used to always have them and now havn't for the past few years. I have a very mixed flock of all bantams.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  6:02:12 PM  Show Profile
I have two kinds- black australorps and red stars. Both are tremendous layers- even in winter, I'm getting three eggs a day from four birds. The australorps are wonderful, big, fat birds. They are marvelous to watch when they are walking. The red stars seem more people-friendly- we can pick those up and carry them around (not sure WHY we do that... maybe just because it's neat to hold a chicken :) )

Edited by - Carolinagirl on Mar 03 2007 6:03:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  6:49:48 PM  Show Profile
I've had over a dozen breeds. The only breed I dislike is Egyptian Fayoumi. They were so high strung they made customers nervous. Constant high speed motion. My favorite is Barred Rock. I have barred rocks, Rhode Island Reds, a White Rock and Americaunas right now.

Robin
SALE! http://www.localharvest.org/store/M572?srt=2
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  7:36:56 PM  Show Profile
My batch of Araucauna roosters from Murray McMurray last year were really mean. One by one we had to butcher them for attacking the kids. I have a mix breed bantam rooster that I got from the humane society. He has been the best so far. He was full grown when I got him and we've had him for 5 years now. I bet if you handled them from the beginning you would have a better chance of having a nice one. Otherwise I seem to just get lucky or unlucky with different roosters. I like my aracauna hens, specially the Easter eggs and sebrights. My favorites are my silkies though. I haven't had any silkie rooster problems, yet.

Farmgirl and mother of 2
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  06:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi! I don't have chickens myself right now, but a good friend of mine has a breed called "Buff Orpington". They are a British heirloom breed if I'm not mistaken. They are WONDERFUL. They are cold hardy, decent layers, and just the friendliest girls I've ever met. Until I get my own, I like to go visit them!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4279 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4279 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  09:15:08 AM  Show Profile
I get what is called Blacks or Browns from my feed store. They lay brown eggs. Don't really know what they are, but they do keep laying well. I have also gotten broilers for butcher too. But I wonder about them, are they a "real chicken", that repoduces the natural way? Or are they a hybred? I think they are cornish, but don't remember for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  09:30:08 AM  Show Profile
My favorite were Barred Plymouth Rocks.They were gentle for the kids,great layers\meat birds.They are also a Heritage Breed.They were quite large for a 4 year old to scoop up!
Also have read that Buff Orpingtons are gentle and great layers.If you want a broody hen,Bantys are best,but mean!
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  10:10:12 AM  Show Profile
There is a cute website called www.mypetchicken.com it has a little quiz that will tell you what chicken breed would be good for you. Plus you can check out each breed by name if you want. They were at one of the shows I attended and took pictures of many peoples birds. My dark Cornish Bantam hen is the one shown on there site. Check it out if you would like.
ALicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  12:13:45 PM  Show Profile
My daughter and I have several different breeds, but the ones I like the most are Rhode Islands for laying, the Dorkings for friendliness (especially pullets when raised from chicks) and our bantam New Hampshire roo is a nice guy too. NH is a heritage breed. They are beautiful. I don't know how the standard breeds temperment would be though. Our Delaware roo was nasty and always pulled the tail feathers out of the hens. Nothing uglier than a hen with no tail feathers.

We also have a Wyndotte and 2 blue Cochins. They are not bad either.

I've also heard the Sussex breed is good tempered.

Enjoy your hunt. There's lots of beautiful breeds to choose from.
Go to Top of Page

jennyhen
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

CT
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  12:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
I have Barred rocks, Buff Orpingtons, and Salmon faverolles. I love them all but the Salmon Faverolles are by far the sweetest! The Barred rocks are really tough and love the cold and snow of New England and are always the first ones out in the winter. I don't have a Barred rock rooster but that's next on my list. Jenny
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  7:52:40 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
I have Buff Orpingtons and they are pretty friendly. I never handle them much but when they go out in the snow and decide they don't want to walk back to the coop in it, they don't mind a ride from "Mom" (me) :) The rooster has been put in his place a couple of times by my hubby and is pretty good now ~ I just never turn my back on any rooster.

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  04:04:11 AM  Show Profile
I have Araucanas and Buff Orpingtons. I like my Araucanas the best. They have the most attitude and personality. My buffs are all about food so if you have the feed bucket they will follow you around the yard. The araucanas wait till you sit still and feed it to them. Those are the only two breeds that have survived the raccoon attack from last year. I had some silkie chicks but they attacked at 20 weeks old so I never did get to see what they were like. My DH didn't like them, he said silkies were ugly. I like the way they looked but I guess you just love them more if you hatched them yourself. I'm waiting till my flock gets smaller before I add another breed. I don't want my coop to have more than 6 chickens at a time in it.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  08:55:25 AM  Show Profile
I've got my own little strain that I'm working on here. Too small to be worth much to a homesteading type operation, but they're pretty enough and they lay blue eggs, which is fun.

I've heard nothing but nice things about Buffs, though, and if I had the room I may take on a few of those.

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  10:37:50 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
We have had a collaberation of chickens and love them all. Currently we have a Buff Orpington Rooster (huge but sweet, my son carries him around like a poodle), 3 BO hens, 3 Buff Brahama hens, 2 bantie hens, 2 California White hens, and 1 homeraised Sexlink/Brahamas. All of ours have been hand raised and very friendly. The only problem I have had is on a few occasions, I have gotten a straight run of chicks that are mostly roosters and when they start feeling frisky they tear my hens up. Then it is time to butcher.

Trina

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  9:11:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Trina,
I would like to know about your Brahmas. My Dh likes the way they look and thinks that may be the breed he wants but I would like to know about their personality. Anything you can tell me I would appriciate!

For eveyone else... My DH wants a BIG rooster that is friendly/sweet with multi colors and long curled tail feathers. I took the test that Alicia posted (thank you Alicia!!) and it gave me a few breeds, but am having trouble finding pictures of all the color variations so am not sure which one would best fit the bill...any sugestions? He loved the coloration of the silver-gray dorking, but didnt like their short legs ( he wants something that looks big and majestic I guess). He liked the light Brahmas but was hoping for colors and I found a picture of a flock of brahmas and one was full of colors but dont know which color it is considered to be. The Wheaten Ameraucana looks full of color but couldn't find a good picture. Do any of you know of a good color book on chickens that showcases all the breeds and their color variations? (am off to search amazon) Or know of a website that has good pictures of all the color variations of each breed? Or do you just know the perfect chicken breed that will be the perfect rooster for my DH?

For me; What is the best book you found about chickens both for identification and all I need to know as a beginer? And it sounds like I can mix as many breeds of hens together in the same coop as I want? If so should they all be the same age? Or how do you add/introduce new hens into the hen house without it getting pecked to death or picked on? As I plan my coop any things I should make sure to have/add (other then the norm, roosting boxes, roosting rods, heating source, feeder, waterer)? Anything you thought was optional that you really wish you added? what surfaces do you find the easiest to clean and disinfect? What bedding sufaces do you wish you could or do you avoid? Any special features you have seen/have/heard of that would make my coop a better place for my gals? Any help would be wonderful! Thank you all for your help!!
Hugz to All!
Talitha

PS sorry for ALL the questions, just have SO much to learn and now might need to know it faster then I thought!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  10:35:03 PM  Show Profile
I recently saw some mille fluer de'uccles(sp?) at a livestock show..pretty little bantams... and saw some buff orpingtons, they were really pretty too.

growing up we had white leghorns...the hens really could lay some large eggs, oftentimes we wound up with large double yolked eggs. almost twice the size as a store bought "large" egg.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What kind of chicken? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page