True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  5:08:09 PM  Show Profile
We homeschool too.
Started out using Abeka and then switched last year to Sonlight. I tried to act like we were in a formal school setting. I got the desks and put up posters a chalk board, you name it.

I have found over the last couple of years though that the best way for "us" is just being a lot more relaxed.

A good book to read is Better Late Than Early and The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook.
Both are by Dr. Raymond and Dorothy Moore. Also Ruth Bechicks The Three R's.
All three books helped me to not be so pushy. I, like a lot of you had a hard time with relatives thinking that we had lost our minds. I found myself wanting to show them that we were going to be a success at this no matter what. Unfortunately, I pushed my little boys too much when they were not quite ready. ( glad I am out of that silly mindset now ).

We really do enjoy it. We start at nine and are finished by noon. They are young yet but are learning so much.

Best of luck to you.

Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  5:23:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ArmyWifey

Thought this article was very telling as well:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070228/us_nm/students_boredom_dc

dont' know any high school homeschoolers who say they are bored personally
food for thought,
Holly

I'm not a homeschooler at all, but as someone who has (relatively- about 7 years ago) recently finished public schooling, I have to agree that school, for the most part, was boring. So much time was spent on 'busy' work it felt like a waste of time to me. I once even had a teacher tell me that I would have been better off learning on my own at home because most teachers set such a slooow pace. Yikes!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  7:14:38 PM  Show Profile
Hey with 4000 square feet you can have your half and I'll have mine! My kiddos wouldn't mind one bit helping with the chores -- at least not initally! ;)

I love to decorate too --- that's one fun thing about being military I always get to change it up when we move! I told dh that I will know exactly what I do and don't want in a house/kitchen when we retire! Bathrooms are fun because they're small.

you're welcome for the encouragement.

Blessings,

Holly

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile
As soon as I am done being sick, I'm going to make a trip to the book store

Farmgirl and mother of 2
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  11:23:22 AM  Show Profile
(long answer)
Shannon, you have recieved so much good advice already! I'm still going to drop in my 2-cents worth :)
I have been homeschooling my daughter for four years now.It is the best thing I could have done for either of us! Every summer, just before we start back (we are with a charter school) I give her the option to return to "regular" school. She keeps refusing. She has blossomed into quite a learner. She isn't as "fast" as some of her friends when it comes to knowing multiplication, but then she was never speed tested on those things. She is vary curious about the natural world and loves any thing related to science. She has become quite a reader too :)

My son chose to "come home" for his JR and Sr years of HS. HE was able to take some of his courses at the community college. He was invited to a dance or two by friends, so he didn't feel he was missing the social stuff. He did so much better at home where we were able to discuss his studies and where he wasn't assigned any busy work.He now attends community college full time.

I agree with everybody who says get your husband's support in this. My husband has been very supportive and has even been our "substitute" teacher if I need a day off for something.

Here are some things we do and "count as school": gardening (science, PE , history, and language/Latin); beach day (science, PE); trips to the symphony/children's concerts (music, history); sewing (math, art, history) just to name a few. The thing I love most about homeschooling is being able to be outside the box.

Good luck with your decision,
Sharon
PS We do go through a spring fever slump every year where we don't want to do work, don't want to do anything but be outside...I feel it coming on now! Since I know it's bound to hit us, I try and beef up the work she gets done between January and March :) It's all about finding what works for your family.

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2007 :  12:05:57 PM  Show Profile
while we have not begun any formal educating yet, as MN law does not require us to start compulsory education until age 7, grace is 4.5 and reading, has an affinity for science and geology specifically, can count sky high and is starting basic math applications. She knows more than any 4.5 year old I have known and I am so proud of her! We are going the unschooling route. I have read many a book, essay and journal on homeschooling and unschooling and I feel this is the best route to go. I can already tell you that once when I treid to sit her down in the craft room(when it was just my office) with a chalk board and desk that we both got frustrated and burned out. It is only in learning naturally that she has been able to learn as much as she has. I have a 4.5 year old reader! I can't be doing anything wrong if I have a 4.5 year old reader!
The best book I have read, I must say, is "The Well Trained Mind" and forgive me but I am coming short on the two authors, a mother and daughter, and I am not able to go find it at the moment....but of my books ont he topic, I would say that it is the most valuable to me. It is pretty much the curriculum-if you want to call it that- that I will be using. It is an awesome guide.

While one does not need education to teach their children, I am very thankful for my education. It was VERY well rounded. I attended UWEC, Colorado College and The College of St. Catherine. The best education I got was at St. Kate's and I take from the three what I need and toss the rest in applying it to teaching my kids.

In my opinion, language is the key to learning everything else-I was an English Major afterall. Once language is mastered, and it's ins and outs, the rest will come because the rest really is just language. Math-universal language, science-universal language. When one reads abuot things they have an affinity for, in addition, then their knowledge of that affinity becomes better and their language skills become better.

Oh I could go on and on....education is in my heart, but not for realy being a teacher, but in learning all I can....I am excited to learn along side my kids, because lets face it, we DO learn something new daily! To incorporate Greek and Roman mythology into why we hang mistle toes at Yule, or when we celebrate the solistices and get to teach about the Earth's rotation and axis and such, or to relate the bean sprouts we had at dinner the other night with botany and horitculture and growing a garden....showing childrent hat that bean sprout would have grown into something grand but is also as equally grand in it's current state. Learning about the different forms of water when they all seem to occurin one day in a Minnesota Winter...IMHO,t here is somuch to learn without the use of a standard curriculum. Of course we read and learn from books too...but the attention span of a 4.5 year old is not great for learning directly from a book. they need to be in on the action, you know?

that is all I had to say on it thus far in my tenure as parent educator.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://frugalwitch.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage: http://mysticwoodsfarm.com
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  6:03:02 PM  Show Profile
The Well Trained Mind by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise.
A most excellent book Tasha. I have it by my bed and read from it often.
Lindy

Go to Top of Page

marisa
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

marisa
fort worth texas
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  09:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Send marisa an AOL message  Send marisa a Yahoo! Message
Holly (armywifey) - I completely agree with your philosophy!! Great posts!
We are doing kindergarten, and we loosely use the Heart of Wisdom approach. http://www.heartofwisdom.com.
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  12:07:59 PM  Show Profile
As a "graduate" of homeschooling... I loved my experience. My mom went through phases of unschooling, school at home, and a mix of both (do these minimum assignments, then whatever interests you). She eventually settled on taking different approaches for different children (I'm the eldest of six, all have been homeschooled) which meant she could approach and present learning in the way most compatible with the child's age and personality.

I am reading "Minds of Boys" an interesting book that presents how to best aid boys in their learning. there are even two chapters related to preschoolers! My son is fourteen months old and we are just starting to go to a mothers of preschoolers group, and a friday morning play group at our local childrens museum. so even now his learning is beginning.

My husband is a ps ms teacher. we haven't yet decided how to school babykins. but I'll certainly consider homeschooling!

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

cabingirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Rose Mary
Arkansas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  06:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I am new here and want to add my thoughts to this post. I homeschooled both of my daughers K-12 and loved every minute of it. We did use a structured school plan and they did very well. My oldest will graduate from college in May with honors and our youngest will be a senior in college next year. Both have remained on the Dean's list throughout their college experience. If your heart is really in homeschooling and your are dedicated, I think you can make a success of it. I realize that different children have different problems, but I think with time and prayer it can work out for you.

R-Mary

"This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

www.lifeinacordwoodcabin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  6:31:03 PM  Show Profile
Whoa Rosemary! A big pat on the back to you girl. Great Job with your daughters.
Lindy

Go to Top of Page

Hannah
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

hannah
sauquoit ny
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I know this topic is already three pages long but I wanted to add in that we home educate. I don't like the term "Homeschool" because it conjurs up images of kids penned behind desks all day. We have a son in kindergarted and a daughter doing a mix of second and third grade. Each child learns differently and we've found home educating to fit us perfectly. Our son is very analytical and likes to figure out how things work, doesn't care a thing about reading yet, but knows more about machinery and tools than most. He's 4 yrs old. Our daughter reads chapter books and is our social butterfly. She's 6 yrs old. NY state requires us to register our kids when they turn 6 so this is our first year of filling out loads of paperwork and taking the required testing. Some states are much more home education friendly. NY gets a "F".
Each day I have a few pages of work for the kids, usually a math page and reading/writing assignment for daughter and tracing letters for son. After that, just make the rest of their day a learning experiance. We tapped our trees for maple syrup, picked out poultry that would do well in our area, learn fractions when baking, the color wheel while painting, ect. We read a lot and that covers history/geography and science subjects. There is a homeschool group we belong to that offers soccer and group lessons on various subjects, swimming, ect.
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  3:15:44 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Dont have time to read all the responses right now...will a little later. But we too have been homeschooling forever!!! Since 1988. So 19 years here too! Would NOT change a thing. My oldest son has a little man who just turned three. He and his son's mom had never really discussed this subject but in his work he has to visit area high schools (they live in the city)and as soon as he left one yesterday, he called his son's mom and said "I dont care if I have to work THREE jobs, Sam is NOT going to public high school!" To which Sam's mom says "Well, gosh I just assumed we were homeschooling him." Awww ... I sure hope so! It isnt for everyone I realize but I kinda believe its for everyone I love! Anyway Zach (my oldest) just couldnt wait to tell me. He knew it would make me feel really good. Not that I would butt in if they decided to do otherwise. I raised mine by my rules and they are great parents so whatever they decide will be what's right for them.

I have real REAL strong feelings and opinions on education so I will read ALL the posts before I go butting in here! I will say however when people ask or offer their opinion on "socialization" I just try to explain as nicely as possible (and that can vary depending on how they take my answer and if they continue)that I am not raising children, I am raising adults. And I think our society reflects just how well the present system is working. Not that my children are perfect, they most certainly are NOT. But neither are their parents! But I challenge anyone to have a better relationship with their grown children than I do. And that was much of my goal in their education, to not only school them in educational requirements, but to prepare them to enter into relationships outside our family. Growing up secure and confident was one thing I wanted for all my children. So far, so good. More later.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Anyone here homeschool? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page