Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 How easy is it to learn to crochet?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How easy is it to learn to crochet? Next Topic  

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  10:57:40 AM  Show Profile
I already know how to knit but have been told it's easier to crochet. Is that really true? Anyone crochet lace, if so, how hard is that and where do you get a pattern?

Any and all advice appreciated!

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  11:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Crochet is very easy and much quicker than knitting. That said, I prefer to knit (I like the streatchy results). Look for a book called The Adventurous Crocheter by Brock and Bodger. With very simple pictures and directions you will be able to crochet just about anything.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  11:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Is it easy to learn from a book or should I find someone who knows how to show me?
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  11:27:58 AM  Show Profile
For me, I started with a book, but had some questions once I got into it. So, then I found a more experienced person to help me out. But that is how I tend to learn best...with a little hands on. Good luck to you! I am relearning as well. And I have the Adventurous Crocheter and it has lots of easy fun projects to start with.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  11:51:15 AM  Show Profile
Ashley,

I know how to crochet and want to learn to knit! Too bad we arent closer together we could teach each other!! I found a tutorial on line for knitting. It is pretty good with a video and everything. Maybe you could find one like that online somewhere?

Good Luck

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  12:14:37 PM  Show Profile
I learned to crochet when I was like 7 or 8. I find both to be really easy.
Go on line and go to yahoo. and put in learn to knit or learn to crochet. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  1:18:14 PM  Show Profile
I think crochet is much easier to learn than knitting too. I learned both as a child, but have had much easier luck teaching my own girls to crochet. They both do both now but crochet comes easier. Certainly easier to keep track of one loop than alot more as in knitting. I wish I were close..I would come over and help you for sure. Start with something easy like a dishcloth..very useable even if it isn't perfect!! Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  2:00:56 PM  Show Profile
I taught myself for the dishcloth swap using directions I found on the internet. You will have to ask my partner in the swap but I think I did a pretty decent job!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2007 :  4:26:17 PM  Show Profile
I taught myself and my kids to crochet from a book by leisure arts, lace is a little tricky, but my patience for crochet is sometimes short. I believe the book is just called learn to crochet. you know I am sending you a package this week, I will just coppy the book and add it to your box. It does not have lace patterns, but it will teach you the basics step by step so that internet directions do not sound like a bunch of gobbledee gook
Go to Top of Page

ashcordes
True Blue Farmgirl

197 Posts

Ashley
Roann IN
USA
197 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  06:33:39 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Jessica, I just realized you don't live too far from me!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  1:05:36 PM  Show Profile
I looked on google maps and it is about 3 hours I think.
Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  2:05:54 PM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to learn to crochet forever and just can't get it. I've got books, have looked at online videos and still just can't get it. I'm sure if I took a class or had someone to teach me I'd get it and one of these days hopefully that will happen. I've actually crocheted an edge to a blanket with a shell stitch and did fine, the problem I have is turning it. If I try and make a dishcloth then end up with more or less stitches each row. I think it just depends on the person as to whether knitting or crocheting is easier.
Cheryl

cheryls-life-at-the-farm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  11:06:05 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
cheryl,
i don't know if this is the official answer, but at the end of a single stitch row i chain one before turning. if i am using a double crochet, i chain two and so forth. since i basicaly taught myself, i just do what ever works. good luck.

trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic How easy is it to learn to crochet? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page