brookerene
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brooke
O'Neill NE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  2:57:41 PM  Show Profile
I'm new to this sight and therefore haven't explore the depths of its topics, but I was wondering how you all market your farm. Do any of you sell through websights, sell on the commodity market, farmers markets, etc? Where I live most of the farmers are conventional farmers. Also, we are far enough from a large population center that I would like to know what other women are doing to keep their farms viable in similar situations. So many farms here are not passing to the next generation and we want to preserve our farm by making it marketable/profitable - to keep for our three children. It's a struggle to be creative at times. Any guidance to other posts or general recomendations or tips etc are welcome. Sharing things can help preserve so much that would be lost otherwise. Also, are any of you doing any form of agri-tourism and what has it taken to make a go of it? Thanks.
Thanks,
Brooke

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  4:07:20 PM  Show Profile
I sell some hand crafted items at my etsy site, but as for farm products, I just have extra milk and eggs..I barter or sell them to friends and relatives. I could have sold the fresh raw milk from 10 cows this last summer if I had it! (I only have one sweet Jersey cow) I live in a very small town in a rural area....but I do hae neighbors and all...not the same as your situation..I hope someone is more help than me. Do you have have MaryJane's book??? It has alot of ideas for the agri tourism sort of thing (if you havn't seen it..it is described on the main page..go to the HOME and click at that and then click on the MaryJane's farm logo on the page it takes you to..it is in most libraries now too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brookerene
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Brooke
O'Neill NE
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  08:36:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for replying and for athe referral . Raw Milk, I've heard a lot about it but we don't have milk cos and haven't been able to get myuch from the beef cows! We tried just to taste it. It's a growing thing. I'll take a look at MJ's book. thanks again.
Brooke
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  3:09:49 PM  Show Profile
We are doing farmer's market in town and hope to make a name for ourselves, so people will come looking for us someday. Our farm is off the beaten path and there are other farms doing agri tourism alot closer to town.
There's 3 generations (actually 4 counting babies)on our farm right now. All us wives have our own interests so we just do are own thing, but help each other and sell together. For us it is just a hobby and extra spending money though.

Farmgirl and mother of 2
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  1:27:26 PM  Show Profile
I've been going to a local market with cut flowers for the past 5 summers. I added potted herbs last summer, and just got a call from a local farmer who asked if I would sell his blueberries and cranberries this next year. (the girl who was selling for him doesn't have help the way that she used to and she recommended me - our spots have been next to each other for the past 3 years).

Forrester Farm started out as a great way for me to begin a small scale business while being at home with children. Now I get calls for wedding flowers, arrangements for businesses and other various things.

Little ones need me,
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic goin to market Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page