Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Safe and Natural Mosquito Repelent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Safe and Natural Mosquito Repelent Next Topic  

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  2:21:51 PM  Show Profile
I have been eaten alive today by mosquitos! They are out with a vengence! I don't feel safe using the products with DEET. What do you farmgirls use and recommend? I am talking mosquitos the size of Buicks here!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2005 :  2:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Just received this via email this week, Meadowlark- how timely! Also do a search here -- I think we discussed this at length last mosquito season....

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets ..... Best thing ever used in Louisiana ... just wipe on and go .... Great for Babies.

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October . He said it works. He was right. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it. Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. Vitamin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas, the mosquitoes like you, - something about the banana oil as your body processes it. Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitoes will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure Vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

When all else fails--get a frog

Not sure how this would work for "farmgirl work outdoors", but it's an idea...
http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail&seq_no=3&min_seq_no=700&SingleItem=41053

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jun 11 2005 7:02:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  06:11:33 AM  Show Profile
They eat us alive here in NJ so we are always up for new preventives.
A few years ago there was a insert in the sunday paper for the "miracle mosquito bush". They were inexpensive (and I must have had money to burn...) but when they came I was pleasantly surprised. They were a form of lemon grass, smelled like citronella and if you placed them in strategic positions did in fact seem to keep the mosquitoes at bay. I also notice it seemed to work if you rub your hands over it. I have had pretty good luck with the product called "Badger" which is all natural and consists of citronella oil, lemongrass oil, cedar oil, rosemary oil, and geranium oil.
Not sure I would trust it while wading into a swamp but for general purposes, so far so good!
Anyone got a good cure for gnats? We have swarms of them a couple times each summer for about a week and they are so thick they fly up your nose and in your mouth and you can't work outside. Aside from wearing a beekeepers hat, or standing next to someone smoking a cigar (it works but... yyyuucckk!!!) anyone got a solution?

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2005 :  5:19:44 PM  Show Profile
Clare, skin so soft is really a great repellant, it's the only thing I use a/more. Like bramble I live in nj and the mosquitos are horrible. I think I'd like to try the fabric softner sheets, may be less messy. Michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2005 :  12:49:54 PM  Show Profile
There is a spray, I think it's called bug off or buzz off. You can get it at a natural foods store. It's main bug ingredient is neem oil. I was thinking of trying to make it myself.

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

Fulminous
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Deb
Maine
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  6:49:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been using a great product that has proven to work quite well up here in Maine with even the blackflies! It even has a refreshing Cinnimon scent, as this is one of the ingredients. I just ordered more online, its avaliable at www.bioganic.com (thats right, organic without the "r"). There is another kind that I got too with a wintergreen scent that I'm not quite as fond of...it smells too much like mouthwash!

Happy to hear that Buzz Off is making it out there to California sqrl, it is from Maine and made by some people of the Passamaquoddy Indian tribe.
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  6:25:11 PM  Show Profile
I just bought some of those supersonic gadgets for hubby to try in Iraq. Has anyone used those or had good luck with it? I can't send him anything that smells very strongly........1. He'd be harrased endlessly 2. Just like hunters if the "enemy" can smell you coming it's not a good thing.

I would like to try some of the others for us here at home though.

Thanks!

Holly

¸...¸ __/ /\____ ____
,·´º o`·,/__/ _/\_ //____/\
```)¨(´´´ | | | | | | | || |l±±±± |
¸,.-·²°´ ¸,.-·~·~·-.,¸ `°²·-. :º°

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2005 :  7:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Avon makes their Bug Guard repellant that had no DEET. It contains some of the same ingredients as the Skin So Soft Original Scent. That's what I use and it works great. They even have it that repellant and sunscreen all in one.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State

North Clark County Farmgirls and
Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2005 :  04:20:01 AM  Show Profile
We use Bioganics too. I make a soap that helps with mosquitos and blackflies but it doesn't stop the horse flies.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  6:12:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare for the great suggestions. I personally have used vitamin B for years. I usually take it in the morning but if I am going to an outdoor event in the evening, like our Shakespeare Festival, or our Jazz on the Green concerts, I wait and take it about an hour before I arrive at the park. It works for me but occassionally I meet someone it does not work for. Their blood must be richer in iron than mine!

Vicks Vapo Rub would keep me away too! LOL

Other plants that bugs hate are Chrysanthemum and Lemon Grass.

I didn't know Buzz Off came in a spray but did you know there is a Buzz Off Fabric? My dad, who lives to camp, hike, and fish, is especially sensitive to biting insects. Even gnat bites can send him to the hospital. This Father's Day I sent him a fisherman's shirt made from Buzz Off Fabric. He LOVES it. Not just because it keeps the bugs away but because the Buzz Off stuff naturally makes the fabric super soft. He told my mother he wanted five more just like it. Now dad is the kind of guy that if he makes a mild comment that something is good, it is the equivalent of another man throwing his hat in the air and yelling YIPPEE! Mom and I pooled our money and got some more for him. By the way, "Buzz Off" is a sythesized form of the stuff in mums that skeeters hate.

I know for sure that there are shirts, pants, caps, and T-shirts. I got Dad's from LLBean but I think camping stores have 'em too. Shop around. Some are pretty pricey but we got Dad's shirts for $44.00 which seemed like a small price to pay to make him so happy and comfortable.

Lucinda

Oh hey, another thing. If you are bitten or stung, and you seem to be having more than a local reaction to it, be sure to get help. Most people don't know that Benadryl, Dramamine, and Nytol are all the same drug and they will help with an allergic reaction. It's not a substitute for medical help but it will give you time to get there. If you don't have any of these, take a big, heaping spoon of cream of tartar by mouth. It is a natural antihistamine. TASTES HORRIBLE to be honest and sticks in your mouth a bit but it saved my life once. Our family physician had mentioned this trick to my mother but I have never heard anyone else mention it.
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2005 :  11:11:36 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Clare

Just received this via email this week, Meadowlark- how timely! Also do a search here -- I think we discussed this at length last mosquito season....

Use Bounce Fabric Softener Sheets ..... Best thing ever used in Louisiana ... just wipe on and go .... Great for Babies.

Bob, a fisherman, takes one vitamin B-1 tablet a day April through October . He said it works. He was right. Hasn't had a mosquito bite in 33 years. Try it. Every one he has talked into trying it works on them. Vitamin B-1( Thiamine Hydrochloride 100 mg.)

If you eat bananas, the mosquitoes like you, - something about the banana oil as your body processes it. Stop eating bananas for the summer and the mosquitoes will be much less interested.

This is going to floor you, but one of the best insect repellents someone found (who is in the woods every day), is Vick's Vaporub.

Plant marigolds around the yard, the flowers give off a smell that bugs do not like, so plant some in that garden also to help ward off bugs without using insecticides.

"Tough guy" Marines who spend a great deal of time "camping out" say that the very best mosquito repellant you can use is Avon Skin-So-Soft bath oil mixed about half and half with alcohol.

One of the best natural insect repellants that I've discovered is made from the clear real vanilla. This is the pure Vanilla that is sold in Mexico. It works great for mosquitoes and ticks, don't know about other insects.

When all else fails--get a frog

Not sure how this would work for "farmgirl work outdoors", but it's an idea...
http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail&seq_no=3&min_seq_no=700&SingleItem=41053

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

You are so totally correct about the banana thing!! I was in vacation in Hawaii a few years ago, and I went on a hike out into the forests to see this huge waterfall.. on the way there I was fine as was everyone else on our trip.. we ate lunch at the waterfall and I was the only one who had a banana. On the way back I got totally swarmed.. and the bugs in Hawaii are nothing to sneeze at.. the humid temperature and warm weather makes for gigantic mosquitos!! I had a bite under my knee that sweeled so badly that it looked like I had another kneecap. No one else had a bite on them.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2005 :  7:24:22 PM  Show Profile
When I was at my local health food store, I asked about a natural insect repellent and was recommended, Thursday Plantation, the Original, Walkabout Personal Insect Repellent. The main active ingredient is citronella. It's made in Australia, not tested on animials and works well. I used it up at a friend's cottage when both the mosquitoes and blackflies were out, and I didn't get bit! And it has a pleasant lemony scent. Much nicer than DEET.

Cat
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  9:43:30 PM  Show Profile
I've heard, but have not tried it myself yet, that the essential oil of catnip has been shown to work 10 times better than DEET. Here's an article that gives some information...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nwgardens/90412_lovejoy10.shtml

If I can get a space ready in time I'm going to try planting some this fall and using the recipes the author gives.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Safe and Natural Mosquito Repelent Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page