New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic fairy gardens Next Topic  

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  06:00:45 AM  Show Profile
We have a backyard that I would like to be one of the most magical places for my 2 beautiful granddaughters. We have an area in the yard sectioned off for a vegtable garden. But im at a loss as to what to plant in the borders.I' d like to have themes. especially Fairy garden areas. Any ideas? We live in calif. so any thing grows.
Right now everything is full of weeds, so I 'm just a little overwhelmed. The weather is mild so I could go out and work in it . I just find other things too do cuz it looks like alot of work! I need some inspiration! Thanks!

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  06:47:53 AM  Show Profile
Mima -

I think staying with Heirloom type flowers always works. I have a flower bed dedicated to cut flowers and heirlooms - like a butterfly bush, foxglove, russian sage, sweet williams, balloon flowers, double shasta daisies, a fairy rose, jasmine, etc. You should contact Frannie from Kentucky Cabin-Creek - she had a fairy garden at her last home and gave tea parties. She has lots of ideas.

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  07:49:00 AM  Show Profile
There's a great book for gardening with kids called "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots"- see if you can find it or get it at the library. They have lots of theme gardens- sunflower houses, nighttime blooming gardens... that sort of thing. It's really cool and I think you'd find lots of ideas. Good luck!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  09:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Do a search on fairy gardens or just fairies on this forum. I seem to remember back some time ago a topic on this. It was very interesting to read. Hope you can find it.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile
I have always had a faerie garden. I put anything that is etheral looking. Lots of perennials. New this year will be Dierama also know as Fairy wand or Fairy Fishing Pole. Very Pretty. Gypsophila or Babys Breath is nice and perennial.Poppies are nice. Anything tall and willowy(but not too tall as to take away from your main goal) and then some small sweet ground covers that can peek from under the taller stuff. Phygelius, Plumbago (blooms late and is true bright blue). Carpenteria also called California Anemone, it is just beautiful. there are so many. Get a catalog and pour over it. Get perennials because they will come back and annuals for bright instant color. Holly Hocks and Foxglove for the back. Foxglove is bi-ennial but does re-seed. Hope this helps. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Feb 23 2007 10:58:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  11:08:56 AM  Show Profile
The book suggestion is great, they are by Sharon Lovejoy - also she has one called Sunflower Houses that would help.
I have seen people take empty milk cartons - the cardboard type ones and make them into fairy house with shingles made of discarded bark etc - that would really help get the kids involved to make houses for the fairys to live in. Let me see if I can find the info for you.
Also, there is a book about creating fairy garden fragrances listed on www.storeybooks.com that I had reviewed a while back that you might like to look at.

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  11:34:21 AM  Show Profile
Here is a great link with an adorable fairy house!

http://www.fairyamber.com/fairy-house.html

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the replys! The links and book ideas are great! Thanks again! Now if i could just get off my behind and start digging.......
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  4:13:00 PM  Show Profile
I really recomend Sharon Lovejoy's books too! Hey...she used to have a garden/gift shop in Cambria..you should go up and see it..I don't know if it is the same since it changed hands though..called Heart's Ease. I used to go there all the time. Her friend Julie had a shop across town (adorable..closed now) called Finnie McClure, that sold my hand hooked rugs...both great gals..I just loved them!! Anyhow...Sharon had a total kid's garden, fairy garden and all set up. I have her books and just love them. Really...go up to Cambria if you get a chance though!!!!!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Feb 23 2007 4:13:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  4:28:59 PM  Show Profile
Here is the review for the book I was telling you about.

Aromatherapy Creating Fairy Garden Fragrances by Linda Gannon Illustrations by Dagmar Fahlau Story Books www.storey.com 1-58017-076-5

Creating Fairy Garden Fragrances. There is so much to love about this book, I don’t know where to start! Only sixty-four pages long it is filled with abundant information covering such areas as herb and flower lore, instructions for gathering and drying ingredients to choosing the right combination between flowers, herbs and essential oils. It contains the most delightful recipes for creating magical fragrant blends with whimsical names like Enchanted Forest, Pan’s Song and Midsummer Night’s Dream, each scent blend corresponding with a season.

Author Linda Gannon charms readers with an extensive list of fairy flora that can be used to make the many magical perfumes throughout the book with special emphasis to seasonal flora such as honeysuckle, sweet peas and pansies.

Perhaps the most enchanting element in Creating Fairy Garden Fragrances other than the fanciful names of the magical scents you can create, are the ethereal illustrations by Dagmar Fehlau. Totally enchanting for both the young, and the young-at-heart. You may even encounter a fairy or two!

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  5:40:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you! Thanks Aunt Jenny too! I have always wanted to go to Sharon Lovejoy's store. Its funny when you live in an area and you don't take advantage to all you have! I do go to Susan Branch's new store sometimes! Very Cool ! Its in A.G. right on Branch street!
If you are ever in the area we could meet up there! I love that little street. Cute farmers market on Sat, a.m. too.

Im going to be checking out all the great books everyone has posted! Thank you so much again!You are all truly so gracious!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  8:13:20 PM  Show Profile
I am so THERE at Susan Branch's store when I get there..love her stuff!! I met her once at a book signing she did at Sharon Lovejoy's shop! Small world, huh????? I grew up in AG and miss that farmer's market for sure. LETS for sure meet up there...totally my cup of tea...and heck, I will be there anyhow!! Great antique shop down the road too..almost where you go up crown hill to the right across from where Loomis' feed store USED to (sniff) be. I will be in touch about meeting up when I come out there (I will be in that area April 7th thru the 12th!!)

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  10:19:14 AM  Show Profile
Oh, what a FUN thread this is! Jenny I am green with envy (goes well with my red hair) that you are going to get to go to Susan Branch's store (love her books) and Sharon Lovejoy's store. BIG sigh, and hope you write about your adventure here so we can all live the experience!

Mima, you don't mention the ages of the wee ones, but be careful with plants you choose if they are curious toddlers. Foxglove, for one, although lovely, is poisonous. A neat idea I saw in a mag one time was to make a teepee with flexible saplings or some such material, and plant fast growing vines (like morning glories or moonflowers) to cover it quickly for a little hideaway. You could also let them plant quick growing things like lettuce, not in rows, but in the shapes of their names. Have fun with the girls and let us know what you plant!! Nance
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  11:13:01 AM  Show Profile
Good idea Nance.As every grandma ( or mima) knows. their grand children are the best. Kana is almost 3 in March, and Ayra is 10 months . They live in Camarillo but they come up lots.We were privledged to see them being born. Even little Arya was born at home with an amazing Ventura midwife.Her placenta was buried in our veggie garden last summer and produced some amazing pumpkins! We were have expecting little Anne Geddes babies to be insde! As you can see, they are the air that I breathe!!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic fairy gardens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page