Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Round steak. Seems boring--ideas??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Round steak. Seems boring--ideas?? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  6:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Ok--
I have this beautiful round steak in my freezer, along with several others that I purchased from the farmers market this autumn....I really can't find any recipes for the use of it, though.

Anyone have any luck, or have a specialty way of cooking it? I was just thinking of marinating it in the fridge and studding it with garlic, and roasting it together with potatoes and some carrots in the oven....

Help me! I'd like to utilize these, but can't seem to find something "interesting" to do with it.

Thanks!!!

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  6:13:35 PM  Show Profile
You could do steak frites-- cook the steak until medium-well on the stovetop in a red wine reduction with garlic and a little Worchestershire sauce. You can add mushrooms if you like. Serve with home made fries. This is THE way to serve steak and we love it.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  6:25:36 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
I take them, dredge them in flour and just brown them. Then put them pack in my cast iron skillet with about 3-4 cups of water and a packet of onion soup mix. Simmer this for 30 minutes to an hour. When it's done you can thicken it to make gravy if it isn't thick enough. This is yummy!! I also do this with venison steaks.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  6:44:14 PM  Show Profile
Yum...sounds so good. Round steak has a tendency to dry out quickly because it is a very lean cut of meat. I like to take round steak and cut it into serving size pieces and tenderize it a bit by using a hammer tenderizer or the side of a plate (just don't break it! LOL...been there and done that.) I then dredge them in flour (2c flour with 2 tsp of salt, onion powder to taste, pepper to tast) then brown them in a skillet. Add a can of crushed tomatoes, and sliced sweet onions. Sometimes I use stewed tomatoes and then simmer until nice and tender. Serve these with mashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. My mama used to call this swiss steak. Many different recipes for swiss steak.

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  6:56:43 PM  Show Profile
Great! I knew I could count on you gals.

I have four up in the freezer, and am thawing one right now for tomorrow night's dinner. Can't wait to try all of these ways to cook it. Not so boring now, eh?

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  7:57:55 PM  Show Profile
Steak seared in olive oil and garlic, then simmered with stewed tomatoes, green peppers, onions and italian seasonings. Serve with buttered egg noodles and garlic bread.

If you like, you can add a splash of a good red wine to the tomato mixture. I usually cut the steak into strips to make it easier to eat and then put the mixture over the egg noodles in a bowl.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Feb 20 2007 7:59:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:20:39 PM  Show Profile
If it's thin cut (a "round steak" I got from my sister's butcheirng wasn't nearly the same as the ones at the commisary)

Pepper steak in the slow cooker
Bulgogi (Korean marinated beef served with rice,green beans and cucumber kimchi at our house)
Cut it into strips and stir fry with veggies
Beef Stroganoff

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4239 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4239 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  03:59:00 AM  Show Profile
I will put a round steak, cut up or not, in a crock pot, and add what ever I feel like. Pepper steak, onion, the sky is the limit. Throw my potatoes, and frozen veggie on top, and let her go. sometimes I put in a can of soup, beef base, what ever. Michele
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  06:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I second the crockpot idea. Mushrooms, pearl onions, and maranara sauce is especialy good. A sweet and sour vinegar type sauce makes a very tender meat, but if you want veggies cook them on the side as the vinegar will keep them from getting nice and soft.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  6:33:00 PM  Show Profile
Ok, gals. I took a little of every suggestion here, and the flavor was good, but I have to say, I'm going to have to maybe break a mallet over this next one. I beat it and beat it, and it didn't do a thing--it was very tough, so I was very sad. I did make the best mashed potatoes of my life, though, so all was not lost!!!!

Thanks for the help, and I will keep trying....maybe just being frozen was part of it.

Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  7:46:27 PM  Show Profile
How long did you cook it? Takes at least an hour or more to get tender. My mother in law would cook round steak like a T Bone, just long enough to be tough as shoe leather. Yuck. Cooking was not one of her better skills. Baking bread, yes, needlework and sewing, yes. Cooking, no. Only seasonings in her cupboard were salt, pepper, cinnamon and vanilla. No wonder she liked my cooking :)
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  4:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Howdy, Ronna. That must have been it. It seems like every time I try this thin of a steak I screw it up--I had a recipe from Cooking Light that called for marinated skirt steak for some type of sandwich and it was so chewy and tough, we both did the same thing as we did with this round steak. Muddle throught until I speak up and say, "this is tough, huh? I mean, it's not good" and he says, "it's alright", which is code for, "I don't like this at all.".....

I'm not real sure. I'm going to have study up because I have a few more up there. I'd hate to let them waste, a good cow provided me with them, and I paid money for them. I just have to get it right, that's all.

Thanks again, girls, for the suggestions. Maybe I'll crockpot it the next time.

Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2007 :  10:28:39 PM  Show Profile
It takes a long long time to get a piece of beef tender, especially when it starts out tough like a round steak does. Of course, long cooking times generally sacrifice flavor and texture (tender often = mush). It's a real trick. The two popular options are marinade/slice-thin-thin-thin or sear/long cook.

If you are going to marinate skirt steak as suggested by Cooking Light cut the strips EXTREMELY thin and then pound them even thinner. Marinate for a good long time (overnight), and then pat the strips dry so that you don't boil them in the marinade when you saute. Only saute a few at a time, then wipe out the skillet between batches.

Searing the steak before a long cooking does help seal in the flavor, which is why it's suggested so many times here. Simmer in the tomato sauce/onion soup/whatever until it's fork tender. This may be an hour or more, even with a thin round steak. I still don't care for the flavor, even after searing, of a long-cooked piece of beef, but it's definitely not tough. I will try dredging in flour as some of the gals here suggest, maybe that's what I'm missing.

If you use a slow cooker remember it will take much much longer to cook. Start it in the morning!

Best,

Robin

Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  05:07:34 AM  Show Profile
I know it is cold and wintery, but alot of times we grill our round steak, then put it in a low (225) oven with b-b-que sauce and sliced onion for a couple of hours. It always turns tender in the oven and is quite tasty. I got lots of new recipe ideas up above! Val
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  06:22:02 AM  Show Profile
Could you marinate for 24 hours and slow cook (crockpot)for stew and add the veggies a few hours before your ready to eat so everything isn't mush? We also do this cut of meat mainated and sliced thin (almost like deli meat) for a marinated steak salad that was in Cooking Light a few years ago. Beef is not my forte, I was a vegetarian for 12 years who married a carnivore!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Round steak. Seems boring--ideas?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page