mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:23:54 PM  Show Profile
One of my favorites to sing along to is Patsy Cline...."Crazy..I'm crazy for feelin' so lonely....I'm crazy, crazy for feelin' so blue..." I can even imitate her little "twang" pretty darned good . I LOVE LOVE LOVE to sing, and I'm always belting it out in the car driving anywhere! I even like to turn up music here at home on iTunes while I'm web-surfing and sing as loud as I want to...I don't care what any of my kids think. Music is so good for the soul!!! My 11-year-old and I were learning about the Native Americans today (we homeschool) and how they felt music could heal people, he twisted his face and said "yeah, right" in the way only an 11-year-old can...hehe. I told him it's true!!! Music lifts me up like nothing else can! I even "brought down the house" at my mom's wedding reception 5 years ago when I sang "The Rose" to her and her new husband (her favorite song) in front of everyone...which I was terrified to do but loved every minute of it! I could go on and on....

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:26:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh and I forgot, my son (the 11yo again) was in our community theatre's production of "The Music Man" last summer, and so he and I put on the soundtrack all the time and belt out the songs!! So much fun...

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:32:22 PM  Show Profile
Molly, that is wonderful teaching your children about the Native Americans! They did use song to heal! It is sad that our culture does not recognize this as an everyday part of living. When I was out with my extended family recently in celebration of my parent's 50th anniversary we broke into song in front of the restraunt. My mother said " We better be quiet or people will think we have been drinking"... I looked at her, remembering this topic and said " Mom, lets shout it to the mountaintops, your love for my father!" She got tears in her eyes and said " Let's keep singing!"

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile
Awwww Jenny, that is such a sweet story about your mother, and how wonderful your parents are still together after all these years...if only young people starting out could look at that example and know what real love is...

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  10:59:16 AM  Show Profile
I used to sing in high school, and wasn't half bad, but for whatever stupid reason, I simply can't let anyone hear me anymore. It's too embarrassing. :( My two kids are the only ones I can sing in front of, and even then it's only once in a while. That being said, I am also a Car Diva! :D I look forward to long trips alone in the car for that very reason.

Someone mentioned Peggy Lee...I LOVE the song "I Love Being Here With You"! I'd kill to sing with a big band like that. My husband is a professional musician, and we listen to a wiiiide variety of music. :)
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  2:52:43 PM  Show Profile
I love to sing and because I have 2 babies, I sing to them all the time and they love it... The lullabye that knocks them out most often is actually one I adapted from a Ben Folds 5 Song called Lullabye, and it sort of is one but he sings loudly and being a man I had to mess with the octives before I could do it right but these are the lyrics and I just love them, they leave me with a magic heart swelling type feeling for my kids.. it's silly I guess but anyway here they are.

"I took a short flight
in the middle of the night
from one tiny place to another
and my parents they remained
in the shack with Lorianne
and my aunt and my grandma and brother

We walked past the tarmac and boarded the craft
the rain had me chilled to the bone
just the 3 of us
took flight that night
uncle Richard
Me and James Earl Jones

The pilot he gave me a blanket
then that tall dark man
sang to me in deep rich tones

Good night Good night
Sweet Baby
The world holds more for you
than it seems
good night Good night good night

Let the moonlight
catch a ride on your dreams.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  2:53:44 PM  Show Profile
Him being a man not me btw

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive. James Stewart in the movie HARVEY
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2005 :  7:22:28 PM  Show Profile
My husband asked me just the other day why I don't sing in the shower anymore. I was horrified. I replied that I have never sung in the shower and he countered that I did and I sang all sorts of things I would never sing out of the shower like "Bring Us In Good Ale," " O Mio Babbino Caro," and my own version of the Jungle Book Tune "I'm the Queen of the Jungle..."

Okay, I was caught. I sing in the shower and in the car. I have asthma and years ago my doctor told me to sing, often, and loud.

I don't want to torture others with it though and since we moved to this house in September of last year, I have tried to keep a lid on it - the cats look at me funny

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Edited by - thehouseminder on Jul 29 2005 06:56:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  07:32:42 AM  Show Profile
Lucinda--Take the lid off and let go! You remember how good it felt to sing! Give the cats some cat nip and they won't know the difference! Sounds like your husband misses hearing you...hint, hint!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2005 :  08:48:03 AM  Show Profile
Of course you are right Bramble. I'm just kinda shy. He loves to hear me sing "Oh Danny Boy" because his name is Dan. "Sweet Molly Malone" is also a favorite.

Who loves a garden still his Eden keeps, Perennial pleasures plants, and wholesome harvest reaps. ---Bronson Alcott

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Singing...DO YOU? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page