Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Container Gardening for Green Onions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Gardening for Green Onions Next Topic  

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  1:51:08 PM  Show Profile
I am disabled (I breathe thru a trach tube and it shuts off when I bend over) so it is hard for me to do traditional gradening in the ground. SO I use containers that are higher up.

Question: I just love green onions. I have 4 long and narrow containers. They are probably 6 inches high by 3 feet long. Do you think I could plant onions in them? I just want them for the green ones....not the mature ones that would have to be planted deeper. I could put the containers up on a table where they would be easy to get to. But I don't want to waste the money on sets or soil if it wouldn't work. I know I would have to water probably every day because of the depth of the container. Any thoughts?

I always put out tomatoes and peppers, lettuce and just about anything else you can think of that can be container grown. I am a gardener at heart but now because of my inconvenience, I have had to alter my methods a little bit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Blessed are those who love the soil,

Patsy

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  3:08:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Patsy...your containers are plenty big enough for lots of green onions. If you plant from sets, plant them roughly 4-6" apart. If you are planting from seed, you can start them in flats and then transplant them to 1" apart and pull as needed. Seeds take longer, but I like the milder flavor of them. Chives thrive in containers as well and you can put them on your windowsill during the winter.
Di

Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  3:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Listen to Diane, she knows. Container gardening is great. My mother does that and has lettuce all year long. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2007 :  4:17:09 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend who was disabled in a car accident a few years ago and loved to garden. Her husband built her a "floating garden" He took wooded work horses and used them to supprt large PVC pipes he had cut in half. He then filled them with dirt and she was able to garden things that didn't need a real deep root base without bending over! I think he drilled some holes in the pipes to allow for drainage.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Gardening for Green Onions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page