farmer miller
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dennis
ST.JOSEPH MO.
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  7:00:19 PM  Show Profile
LADYS DO YOU HAVE A HOSSIER CABIENT IN YOUR HOUSE? MYSELF I HAVE A 1919 HOSSIER CABIENT THAT I USE IN THE KICTHEN.IT IS 48-INCHES WIDE AND 70-INCHES TALL.STILL NEED TO FIND SOME GLASSWARE FOR IT.

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  7:22:38 PM  Show Profile
I have Hoosier Cabinet that was my Great-Great Uncles. It is in really good shape and has almost all the of the original jars and stuff.

I think you can find hardware at Restoration Hardware

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/

http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  11:41:56 PM  Show Profile
What is the difference between a Hoosier and a Kitchen queen?
I have a kitchen queen, and I thought they were the same thing. thats all ive ever heard them called here.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  05:22:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Shirley - numerous other companies made the same style of kitchen cabinets. I guess it depends what part of the country you're in, and what company made the cabinets where you live. My kitchen cabinet is a very bulky, solid oak thing. It's actually in two parts, top and bottom. When I first looked at it, I thought it was all one piece. I've also got a jelly cabinet and a white painted wood hoosier type cabinet with the tambour door and the metal lined drawer. Farmer Miller - have you tried ebay for your cabinet accessories? I bought a metal liner for one of my cabinets there. I also got rubber replacement foot pads for my 1936 GE monitor top refrigerator on ebay.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  08:18:04 AM  Show Profile
Sounds like you're a lucky gal. My mother in law has an original Hoosier with almost all of the original glass jars--her inlaws were "kicking it to the curb" in the mid 70's, when it was considered old junk. She literally picked it up off the street right after they put it out!

I have a "Boone" brand cabinet--oak, just like a Hoosier, only a "Boone". I think they were made from 1911-1920 or so. Mine didn't have any original pieces, but I use mine for pots and pans and other stuff like that--almost like a china cabinet.

Farmer Miller--I agree with Miss Bee...ebay is a lifesaver when it comes to finding what you need for these cabinets, and you can save your searches and do them everyday. There's no end to what's out there, oddly enough, as long as sometimes you can take an occasional heartbreak of being outbid.

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  10:05:33 AM  Show Profile
I am driving to Florida this weekend to pick up the Hoosier cabinet that my dad made for me. It is oak and has all of the components with it. I am so excited I can barely sleep.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations, Sheryl-lyn! Not just any Hoosier cabinet, but one hand crafted for you by your dad! The beginnings of a family heirloom. Please post a picture.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

farmer miller
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dennis
ST.JOSEPH MO.
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  11:35:22 AM  Show Profile
SEWGIRILIE, I HOPE YOU WILL POST A PICTURE OF YOUR HOOSIER WHEN YOU GET BACK HOME.HAVE A SAFE TRIP.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  1:27:33 PM  Show Profile
Funny this thread came up-- I just recieved a catalog in the mail today selling reproduction Hoosier cabinet (as well as the other cabinet types and other furniture/household hardware) replacement parts. It's likely just what you're looking for. They have a website (where you can request a mailed catalog) at www.architecturals.net

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  1:17:03 PM  Show Profile
I am looking at my Hoosier right now!!! I am at mom and dad's house now and will head back to New York on Friday. You guys have told me how lucky I am and boy is that the truth! I told dad he will have to make me another heirloom so that each of my own kids will get one when I am gone. I would fight someone for this Hoosier if I had to! :)

If momma can show me how to do it, I will post a picture of it while I am here. It even has the flour and sugar containers and the spice rack. Plus I got the directions that used to come with them back in the old days! I am sooo excited!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  4:25:16 PM  Show Profile
How do I put a picture on here? I cannot see a link that lets me put them on. I put one on the yahoo site that is for tea towel lovers. (Ok, so it took me and my mom about FOUR hours to figure out how! But they are there now) I am ready to try it here as well.
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
do you have flickr or photobucket or some other web image hosting. If so copy the url come here and post under reply to topic there is a symbol I think it is a camera do a fly over it will say image click on that it will add two img past your picture between them there you go.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com
my web stores www.sunshines.etsy.com and http://vintagethreads.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  6:47:46 PM  Show Profile
I had three different hoosiers go through my shop when I had it and I so wish I would have kept at least one for myself. :( I just LOVE them and I've always been drawn to them.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  8:16:09 PM  Show Profile
I am going to use photobucket tomorrow to post a picture. I am learning so much here!

My dad is so happy that Hoosiers are such a hot topic. He had never heard of one until I asked him to make mine!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  9:28:34 PM  Show Profile
i have an OAK one from the 1930's for sale at one of my antiques shoppes right now. but, by far my most favorite one is a 'hand-did' one from the 1800's ... you would never know from looking at the outside .. but it is made from cast off 'boxes' .. some of the labels can still be seen on the inside. i adore it! xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  9:31:38 PM  Show Profile
oh ..i also had a wonderful one with green paint (more deco) .. sold that one too. i just have 'prim' in our cabins .. and these other ones were too new. (but cute!) xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  06:04:14 AM  Show Profile
Here is the link to my Hoosier. Hope it works!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t249/wickedwalz1/DSCF0056-1.jpg
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  7:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
She sure is beautiful!!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  7:55:38 PM  Show Profile
What a beautiful Hoosier Sheryl-lyn!!!

I really really really want one!! Dh and I are on the hunt for one, we have been to so many antique shops in the last few months but so far no such luck finding one!! I wish dh would just make me one!!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HOSSIER KITCHEN CABIENT Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page