Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Diesel soaked new boots! Next Topic  

sweetoatmealhill
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Daile
Rockford Michigan
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  5:44:52 PM  Show Profile
All right, folks. Please help me with advice on how to get diesel fuel out of my favorite jeans and ONE (doesn't it figure) of my brand new wonderful Keen winter boots. I went out to plow the other night, and just as I thought, "Oh, hubby must have fixed the leak in this tank", I realized it was running out at the bottom all over my lower leg. HELP!

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  8:02:42 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Maybe try letting baking soda sit on top of it and see if it draws it out.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  8:32:35 PM  Show Profile
Hiya--sorry about your luck!
I found this site--it might be helpful. Oddly enough, this was the same answer I received for removing oil/gasoline smells from some antique machine storage boxes we purchased from an auction. The furniture refinisher said that newspaper magically absorbs it.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf178841.tip.html

"Answers:

RE: Gasoline on Leather Jacket
You might try wrapping it in newspaper and putting it in a box or suitcase for several days. The newspaper may absorb the smell. You could also sprinkle baking soda on it and around it in addition to the newspaper. (10/20/2004)
By Marti"

Just think of all of the roads there are...all of the things I haven't seen....yet.
Go to Top of Page

sweetoatmealhill
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Daile
Rockford Michigan
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  07:54:06 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the quick help. I'll try these ideas and update as soon as I can!
Go to Top of Page

sweetoatmealhill
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Daile
Rockford Michigan
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2007 :  9:30:39 PM  Show Profile
Sorry it took me a bit to update. Thank you for the ideas. I have covered the boot in baking soda, wrapped it in newspaper, and put it in the washer. Ultimately, there wasn't one thing that was a miracle worker, but after all three it is tolerable, and at this point they only have a faint smell of diesel.
Of course work clothes wouldn't have mattered so much, but I'd not had winter boots I liked in about a decade, and hubby buys me the gorgeous comfortable ones I finally find, and ......well, life is meant to be lived to it's fullest. A little diesel scent is probably the only perfume I'll have on for a while anyway.
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Help! Diesel soaked new boots! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page