Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Keep This Handy On The Fridge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Keep This Handy On The Fridge Next Topic  

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  12:59:23 PM  Show Profile
Someone at work sent this to me. Thought I would share it with you all. Most of us have a lot of these in our homes already.

GRANDMA'S CURES

Did You Know that drinking 2glasses of Gatorade can relieve headache pain almost immediately-- without the unpleasant side effects caused by traditional "pain relievers."

Colgate toothpaste makes an excellent salve for burns.

Before you head to the drugstore for a high-priced inhaler filled with mysterious chemicals, try chewing on a couple of curiously strong Altoids peppermints. They'll clear up your stuffed nose.

Achy muscles from a bout of the flu? Mix 1 TBS of horseradish in 1C of olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 30 min, then apply it as a massage oil, for instant relief for aching muscles.

Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 C of vinegar with 1/4 C of honey and take 1 TBS six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria.

Cure urinary tract infections with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve 2 tablets in a glass of water and drink it at the onset of the symptoms. Alka-Seltzer begins eliminating urinary tract infections almost instantly-- even though the product was never been advertised for this use.

Honey remedy for skin blemishes ... Cover the blemish with a dab of honey and place a Band-Aid over it. Honey kills the bacteria, keeps the skin sterile, and speeds healing. Works overnight.

Listerine therapy for toenail fungus. Get rid of unsightly toenail fungus by soaking your toes in Listerine mouthwash. The powerful antiseptic leaves your toenails looking healthy again.

Easy eyeglass protection... To prevent the screws in eyeglasses from loosening, apply a small drop of Maybelline Crystal Clear nail polish to the threads of the screws before tightening them.

Smart splinter remover ....just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.

Hunt's tomato paste boil cure ...cover the boil with Hunt's tomato paste as a compress. The acids from the tomatoes soothe the pain and bring the boil to a head.

Balm for broken blisters... To disinfect a broken blister, dab on a few drops of Listerine ..a powerful antiseptic.

Vinegar to heal bruises .... Soak a cotton ball in white vinegar and apply it to the bruise for 1 hour. The vinegar reduces the blueness and speeds up the healing process.

Kills fleas instantly...Dawn dish washing liquid does the trick. Add a few drops to your dog's bath and shampoo the animal thoroughly. Rinse well to avoid skin irritations. Good-bye fleas.

Rainy day cure for dog odor ...Next time your dog comes in from the rain, simply wipe down the animal with Bounce or any dryer sheet, instantly making your dog smell springtime fresh.

Eliminate ear mites ....All it takes is a few drops of Wesson corn oil in your cat's ear...Massage it in, then clean with a cotton ball. Repeat daily for 3 days. The oil soothes the cat's skin, smothers the mites, and accelerates healing.

Quaker Oats for fast pain relief... It's not for breakfast any more! Mix 2 cups of Quaker Oats and 1 cup of water in a bowl and warm in the microwave for 1 minute, cool slightly, and apply the mixture to your hands for soothing relief from arthritis pain.

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  1:04:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Kelly. I'm printing it out now. I do have most of this stuff at home. And I'm starting to have a sore throat, so I'll be trying the vinegar and honey one tonight.

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  5:51:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! Great tips!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  5:54:06 PM  Show Profile
Great Post!

Thanks

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  05:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Ok, Kelly. I've had the vinegar/honey mixture twice since yesterday. By the time I first swallowed some late last night, my throat was very sore. But afterwards, I actually slept almost all night and this morning, it's way better. So thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm going to take more the rest of the day. :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  06:03:56 AM  Show Profile
kELLY,
I printed it off , thanks.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2007 :  07:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Glad you are feeling better Janice. Love those kinds of remedies & glad it is working for you. I will have to try it next time I have one as well.

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~

http://wandascountryhome.com/forsale/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  03:51:28 AM  Show Profile
Guess the Alkaseltzer is why I never have had a UTI. My stomach is sensitive and I drink that stuff at least once every other week

We have been using the honey thing on one of our elephants. He has a bed sore where he lays on his head at night and the vets opted to use this method about 2 months ago. I could have told 'em this, but I'm not a DVM! Go figure
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Keep This Handy On The Fridge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page