Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 Stacking round tins Goose motif/Tall tins also
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Stacking round tins Goose motif/Tall tins also Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  11:25:29 AM  Show Profile
I have a set of three flat, round, decorated metal tins in a blue background with goose photograph on lid. The three tins stack inside of each other or on top of each other, like a tower.

I'd be interested in finding these a new home, if anyone has something to barter...recipe book, music CD, whatever?

I also have two of those tall popcorn tins that might be harder to mail, but if you are interested, let's talk. One has a green background with teddy bears encircled around it, and the other tin has a red plaid background with a photo of a black lab in front of a fireplace...the red one would fit inside the green one if anyone is interested in both.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Feb 13 2007 11:44:26 AM

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  06:09:39 AM  Show Profile
Update: Does anyone have an opinoin on whether these of tins would be appropriate to store bulk amounts of dry goods in my pantry?

Since I started to make my own bread and other products (after finding MaryJanes Farm and this forum!) I am keeping larger quantities of bread flour, sugar, whole wheat flour, etc. on hand. I am used to just keeping a small bag of flour in a large Ziplok to keep it fresh and bug-free, but it occurred to me that I should keep these tins and use them! Does anyone recommend use or not, and if so, do you keep a Ziplok inside the tin, or is the seal of the lid enough to keep either the bags they come in, or the unbagged dry goods fresh and dry?

Thanks, as always.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2007 :  06:27:14 AM  Show Profile
I have Copper Canisters and I keep the flour and sugar inside a Ziplok bag and then put it inside the canister. I find the lids aren't tight enough to keep the bugs out and keep it fresh.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  10:29:56 AM  Show Profile
It probably depends on how much you are keeping on hand and how often you use it. I have kept lots of dry goods in cans like these before, but they just arent big enough for my family anymore. The problem I ran into was not bugs or freshness, but things getting in the groove inside the bottom where it was put together. I sewed a muslin bag to put inside my canisters, then when I would run out, I would throw it in the wash for a quick refresh. Now, I use so much for my family that I actually have gone to small rubbermaid type trash cans that are a couple feet tall. Fifty pounds of flour, sugars, beans, etc fit in these nicely stays fresh and the lids snap on tightly. If you are really worried, you can almost never go wrong with ziploc. Good luck i am glad you found you like to make things. There is something about it that just tastes better.
Go to Top of Page

a rose
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Linda
Waterford NY
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  11:57:53 AM  Show Profile
My goodness Jessica, how big is your family?

Remember me as a rose.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  4:10:32 PM  Show Profile
I've kept pantry foods in them for years, especially living where the field mice sometimes decide to come indoors to investigate. Hefty makes the 2 1/2 gallon bags and ziploc makes bigger ones if you'd rather not have food against the metal. I got really lucky last week and bought 6 of the huge popcorn size cans, each with 5# of Ol Roy dog biscuits inside, for $1 each. Lots of other good cat and dog food bargains too; the pet dept was resetting (the call it Mods) the shelves. Just the tins are a dollar or two at the thrift shops. I'm sharing with friends and my daughter. Lots of uses for those big cans. Doggy toys, Lego's and Duplo's. Laundry detergent if you buy in bulk and it gets damp in the box.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  09:14:25 AM  Show Profile
We are only 9, but I do a lot of baking for friends. People do not bake often enough, so i try to fill the gap.
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic Stacking round tins Goose motif/Tall tins also Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page