Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Barefoot forever!! UPDATE!!! I DID IT!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Barefoot forever!! UPDATE!!! I DID IT!! Next Topic  

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  2:29:57 PM  Show Profile
Ok I have ripped my 4th attempt of a sock on needles out!!
I want to make socks so bad I could cry!!!

But I am about to give up. I looked at sock looms on the web.
Has anyone ever used those?? I am just not sure if they would be easier or not.

Maybe I can tie dish cloths to my feet?? That seems to be the only thing I can knit.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated! Can someone come to Indiana and teach me??????

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Edited by - Bridge on Feb 20 2007 3:43:42 PM

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  3:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Bridgette:

Awww, I am sorry that I cannot knit either, but you seemed so forlorn that I thought I would offer a shoulder to you.

I can make you a quilted sock if you want! Might be a funny project.

Coming to Indiana sounds like a good idea to me. I am making fried chicken right now and I'll bring some! (If only it were so easy, huh?)

Good luck on the socks and cold feet. Someone will help you here!

XXOO Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Knittymama
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Knittymama
Minneapolis MN
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  3:41:41 PM  Show Profile
If it makes you feel better it took a lot of work before I could manage to knit a decent sock. And now I'm a pro:-)

Questions:
Are you doing double points or 2 circulars?
Toe up or toe down?
What pattern?
What yarn?
Where are you getting stuck?

http://knittymama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  3:53:50 PM  Show Profile
Double pointed, Toe?? I have never got to the toe part :(
These are teh directions I am trying to follow
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
I am using sugar&cream tie dye
the last time I thought I had it but then as I was gettting some length on the tube I noticed I had gaps or a ridge of sorts where each needle met the other. Does that make sense?? Hard to explain when you don't know what you are doing :)
I am going to try again after supper.
Try and try again, right. But I think my yarn is going to wear out before I get a sock :)

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  4:10:52 PM  Show Profile
Is there a knitting shop anywhere near you where you could elicit some aid? I have been working on my first pair of socks (I've scarcely got as far as the heel, though, having been interrupted by Christmas), and the guidance I received at a local spinning and weaving shop was invaluable. When knitting on double-pointed needles for the first time, there are some tricky little things to watch out for that are probably best demonstrated rather than described - especially if purling is involved. I wish I had enough expertise in this field to be more helpful! All I can say is that it is worth the trouble to seek out a seasoned sock-knitter to show you how it's done. In the meantime, persevere - and I'm sure there's someone here who knows more about this than I do. :)

- Elizabeth Ann

P.S. I like your subject line. "Barefoot forever" sounds rather nice ...except perhaps in February. ;)

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com

Edited by - emma.birdwhistle on Feb 09 2007 4:12:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Knittymama
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Knittymama
Minneapolis MN
19 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh, your yarn's the big problem. You need something with a lot more give, plus even if you did knit a pair from it I don't think they'd be too comfortable. If you don't mind wool, definitely get some. But if you're avoiding it, check out this link:

http://www.grumperina.com/knitblog/nonwoolysockyarn.htm

It's an excellent post on what to look for in a sock yarn.

As for the ladders you're getting in between the needles, the trick is this: knit the first stitch, then pull the yarn tight, then knit the second and pull again. After that you should be okay!

http://knittymama.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  5:41:48 PM  Show Profile
Bridge, I love making socks.
I use the fine baby yarn too the ones that are really soft.
I have made around 20 pairs or so of socks to give as gifts and to keep.
Try a differnt pattern and different yarn. Give the baby yarn or fingering yarn a try.
Also, the microspun yarn is a really good yarn to try a sock pattern
It is really soft.
Being a Diabetic. they are comfortable too.
I have to have socks that are not binding and tight around my ankles.
Don't give up. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  10:50:29 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I want to do this year is learn to knit. I already crochet but have always wanted to learn to knit. Hopefully I will start on
that sometime soon.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  05:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Bridge, don't fret.. I have been trying to learn to knit socks for two years and I am not giving up on them...I will conquer them someday.. I have tried Silvers pattern and it reads very easy, it's just me....I can't find a store to teach me..They all want me to make a sweater first...I told the last woman "that there was not enough Wool/Yarn to make me a sweater, she had a kinda "hazed over" look after that so I just left the shop......

hang in there, someday it will be Socks Galore....

Newheart
Love of friends and family makes the world go round..

margie

Edited by - newheart on Feb 11 2007 05:53:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  06:16:58 AM  Show Profile
Margie,Bridge.
At least you know you are good at covered dishes.
Bridge, I would love to make socks too, but I don't think there is much hope for me in that area, I was all excited that I could make mittens. A friend of mine whips socks out like crazy and says how easy it is, and I say yea, but how good are you at thrift stores???
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2007 :  06:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Here I thought this was a declaration that you love being barefoot! LOL ~ I tell my husband I was supposed to be a Hobbit because I have big feet and I'm always barefoot.

Sorry, I'm not a knitter so I have no advice (((hugs)))

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

tziporra
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Robin
Seattle WA
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  7:46:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if you've looked into magic loop instead of fussing with the doublepoints, but it might work for you... I managed to make a lovely green sock using the magic loop technique. But then I didn't really want to make a SECOND sock. So the first sock got transformed into a dragon sock puppet named Snaggle, and he's now my daughter's favorite. So see, barefoot ain't all bad ;)

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  08:15:00 AM  Show Profile
I actually have used the Knifty knitters for hats and I really like them.
I think I may order a sock loom, and try that.
I tried over and over this weekend and I just do not enjoy working with the doublepoints.
Thanks everyone for your words of hope and encouragement!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  3:48:49 PM  Show Profile
Ok,Ok!! Yes I know I put that in caps but I am really excited!!!

Check this out!! I am so happy!!!

Bridge's Blog

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  4:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Whoo-hoo! I like your slipper! Does it have a friend yet?

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  4:32:51 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette, if you can afford the extra cash, I recommend two things:

1) Get the mitten loom set at Decor Accents - that gives you the adult sock loom, the child sock loom, and two thumb looms. The adult sock loom also works for adult mittens (body) and the child sock loom for kids mittens. It runs about $49, I think for the set.

2) Order their special tool for using with the fine gauge sock looms. The regular tool with the Knifty Knitters is too big to use with the fine gauge looms. You need something with a smaller tip on the end to get under the yarn.

I totally recommend the fine gauge sock looms/mitten looms. The knit is a lot tighter than with the KK and it looks like a professional or a machine made it.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  5:11:33 PM  Show Profile
Bridge,

don't worry too much about that ridge between where the needles meet, especially if you change to a a finer, stretchier yarn.

I find that after a couple of washings that the ridge disappears. If it really bothers you can knit a few more stitches from the next needle on each round until you get to the end, (where you start the heel) and then redistribute the stitches back on to the "correct" needles. The gap is caused because it is hard to keep the tension tighter between the needles. By moving the "space" around the needles every row, it becomes much less noticeable.

Hey, don't give up! Every stitch you take trains your brain to make those stitches more automatic... pretty soon you will be able to knit in your sleep!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  6:57:58 PM  Show Profile
Bridge- You give me hope! I love your sock/slipper and those colors are scruptious! Yay you! You did it! Now if I can finish my scarf, it's on to those peskybut oh so wonderful socks!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  7:24:49 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette,

I'm sorry you are having such a time with socks! I KNOW how to do them, but I always have problems somewhere along the line and end up ripping out. I know a woman who learned to knit by knitting socks (CAN YOU BELIEVE????) and on the little fingering weight yarn, too.
A loom sounds like a plan. I wasn't aware that they had them for socks. I've seen the hat ones. I might look into it for myself.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  7:44:39 PM  Show Profile
Wahoo! How cool. I'm so happy for you! You conquered it and now you can totally keep going with slippers and socks! YEAH!

Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  7:57:51 PM  Show Profile
Bridgette, I have got to give you a pep talk because just one month ago I was in your shoes! I had only knitted scarves (and I don't mean anything fancy, just knit, knit, knit) and One of my girlfriends invited me to join her knitting group. She cheerfully explained that they were all making socks and she was sure I was up to the challenge. Well, I can only tell you that there were some very stressful moments as I screwed up time and time again, ripping and ripping until I thought I'd go mad. I kept thinking that knitting was surely for someone way more gifted than I. How did anyone EVER knit a pair of these things? I couldn't get through one!

Long story short, I am on my 3rd. pair!!!!! Yes, you DO get better and I hate to see you give up. I hope there is someone there to help you. I know you can do it if I can. I wish you could see my first pr. not perfect but at least done! My best to you and all the others that are struggling with socks. Just think how great you will feel when you get that first little bugger done! Cindy

Oh! The socks I'm working on right now are made of soy and Chitin (shrimp and crab shells) Pretty cool huh? Good luck and keep us posted!

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  11:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Would you sock pros recommend using a circular needle as opposed to DPNs?
I have yet to start my pair of socks, but since I need to buy the needles first...what are the advantages/disadvantages of each of these options?
Thanks!
I'm enjoying the info,
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  06:46:45 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I too would LOVE to make socks, but cannot seem to get a nice heel. Has anybody found a pattern for knitted tube socks? I have some great wool blend sock yarn (thrifted for $2) I am just dieing to try. I hate to rip out stitches and just don't have the patience lately to struggle with another pair of BAD socks.

Trina

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  6:21:31 PM  Show Profile
Bridge, my sister lives near you, if you need help on ANY yarn projects, you could definitely ask her. She would be giddy to help anyone. And with her no question is ever a stupid one. She can explain things so simply. Everytime I pick up a kniiting needle or crochet hook, I almost always pick up my phone too. I have to call her a few times for almost every single project.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4195 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4195 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  04:16:10 AM  Show Profile
I love doing two at once on one circular needle. Takes a bit longer, but when your done your done with both. My first pair, for myself, I ripped out several times, but got it. working on a second pair for my honey. I also made a couple pairs of socks toe up on two circular needles. They had a different type of heel, not turned. Always interesting to try a different pattern, till you find one you really like. I just finished a felted hat-LOVE IY. It turned out really nice. Keep knitting Michele
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2007 :  6:31:13 PM  Show Profile
Jessica,
Where does your sister live? Does she know how to do socks on DP needles?
Thanks for posting!! This is exciting!!
I really like the loom though.........But I wouldn't mind giving the needles another go.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~

Edited by - Bridge on Feb 25 2007 6:32:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Barefoot forever!! UPDATE!!! I DID IT!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page