julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  12:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh I've MISSED you all so much! I have been so preoccupied with this baby that I just haven't had a moment to sit and read and write. Let me tell you what's been going on..

First let me say that we are fine. My older kids are so into the baby and they've been terrific. Rianna is now 2 months old and doing really well. However, when she was 3 weeks old, I learned that she had a bad latch and a weak suck and wasn't gaining weight the way she should. As a result, my milk supply went down and I found myself thrown into a situation that felt very crisis oriented. Even though Rianna was healthy and well, the medical profession was using language like; "starving, energy conservation mode" to describe her if we didn't do something n.o.w! Mind you, she was weighing in the 75th - 90th percentile...she was vibrant, alert, holding her head up already and so forth..she was smiling at 5 weeks etc.. So not only was I totally bummed about her not nursing well and feeling very concerned that she wasn't gaining as much weight at the medical people wanted (even though she was gaining some), I was also seeing a baby that was doing well..not starving and certainly energetic. I was confused and scared and VERY post-partum in terms of feeling extremely hormonal, weepy and obsessed. I began working with a lactation consultant at one of our hospitals and she has been a great help. I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to nurse with Rianna anymore and have to give her formula for the duration. Mind you, I'm a die-hard breast-feeding woman..I nursed with my other 2 mindlessly for 3 years a piece so nursing came really easily for me. Having a baby who didn't nurse well really threw me for a loop!
Well, what I've been doing for the last 5 weeks is getting my milk supply built back up by pumping and nursing every 2 hours during day-time and evening hours.. we get to sleep through the night with one or 2 nursings and no pumping.. I also give Rianna supplements of either expressed breast milk or formula along with nursing every 2 hours or so. For that last 2 weeks she has been gaining weight more like what the medical profession wants and is doing well. Her latch is dramatically improved and her sucking ability is getting stronger each and every day. I think I am just waiting for her to grow and catch on.. I suspect and hope that I'll be weaning her from the supplements or time and then she'll be back to nursing full-time. If I have to supplement her with a little formula here and there, I'm so ok with that too...I think my initial apprehension for using formula was because I thought I wouldn't be able to breast feed.. That has since changed dramatically.
I am still tethered to the pumping machine and a rigorous schedule but can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Just wanted to let you all know that I am well..hanging in there and enjoying coming out from this hibernation I've been in! Keep me in the light and do share your stories if you've been through something similar. Words of encouragement are huge.. I get so burned out pumping so often!
Here's celebrating blue sky!
Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  3:57:31 PM  Show Profile
My sister went through something similar... Her child is now 9 and doing fine, in fact, he's the healthiest of the bunch! Just hang in there.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  5:19:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Julia, bless you friend. And what a great mama you are to hang in there despite such frustration. You are an awsome mama to those little sweeties. Praying that things continue on their current path and that you can get some needed rest real soon.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2007 :  6:55:28 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the update, Julia......I've been wondering how you & the baby were doing.

So sorry to hear breastfeeding hasn't been so easy this time around. I so admire & respect you for not giving up - what a wonderful Mother you are!!! I hope you are getting lots of support @ home. I'm pleased you got in touch with a lactation consultant. The best first step. Did she discuss something called a "supplemental feeding system" with you? (Also sometimes called a supplemental nursing system.)
If she has not, I suggest you ask her about it. It might be of help. Also there are a few herbs (fennugreek, for example) that can help with milk supply. Lastly, don't forget about getting plenty of rest, & keeping your water intake @ 8-10 glasses/day. I won't go into this anymore, as I'm guessing this is old news for you. Just wanted to say a few things just in case - & compliment you for all that you are doing for this baby.
Please keep us informed. I'm sending all best wishes for you!
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  04:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julia,
Been wondering how you and bubs were getting along. Glad to hear all is starting to smooth out after a rocky start - I sure know how that feels!! I've had three, and none of them were good breast-feeders at the start. Add to that the fact that for some reason, I have super-senstitive nipples, that were grazed and SO sore, and the first 8 weeks of feeding each child was hell. I couldn't feed in public as it was too difficult (I was so jealous of those 'throw them on the boob' mums!!). But with each one, after about 8 weeks, it all settled down and they all fed until they weaned themselves at about 15 months.
I'm sure it will all settle down soon, and you will feel you can re-join the land of the living!! Great to hear from you and best of luck,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  12:33:34 PM  Show Profile
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...farmgirl support...like yummy treats for my mind and soul. Thank you for your responses and words of encouragement. Huge help! It is also extremely helpful knowing others have experienced what I'm going through and have done well in the long run. That is also h.u.g.e!!
Lamamama! Thank you for all the tips! Yes, I've been using an SNS..actually 2 different kinds. The first one with a vermicelli type noodle was too hard for Rianna so we switched to a syringe with a larger spaghetti type noodle that was much, much easier for her. That one helped her grasp the idea of gulp/swallow and simulated a nice let down at the same time teaching her to suck. I've been using that for about 3 weeks and its been great. I've been able to supplement with quite a bit of breast milk but occasionally I use formula..especially at the end of the day when I seem to be pumping out less..yesterday my last syringe broke so I went back to using the vermicelli/angel hair type noodle just to see if she could suck with that one. She was great! Before, she couldn't really do it..She would suck a little and then fall asleep, which is still a problem.

My biggest issue right now is what to do about the whole schedule/measuring thing versus regular breast feeding. Rianna had her 2 month well baby check recently and her doctor advised that she needed more sleep and to change from a 2 hour feeding schedule to a 3 hour feeding schedule and just supplement more during those feedings. Hence, the reason why she is so sleepy during many of her feedings. She plum tired! PHEW! Well, when I use the SNS with, say, 2 or 3 ounces, it takes well over an hour for her to take that all in. She dozes, loses interest, dozes some more, nurses well. etc. etc. It is VERY frustrating! I resorted to using a bottle last night during her last feeding around 11 pm. I just couldn't deal with the thought of struggling with her...I tell you, having her take that bottle and nurse in 30 minutes was so nice. She proceeded to sleep with me for 7 hours! I was amazed. She woke up hungry and nursed super well and today we've been struggling with the SNS system again. Not struggling that she can do it, struggling that it takes too long. I"m also nursing with her in between times and she loves that. ( this feels more like regular nursing, where you feed on demand..just any ol' time baby seems hungry!)
Right now, I'm all over the map with what I'm doing. Thank heaven I go back tomorrow to discuss the matter with my lactation adviser. She's wonderful! I think I need a new kind of schedule...
my biggest insecurity having dealt with all this is not knowing how much she is getting from nursing and feeling insecure that it isn't enough..Her suck is so much better.. I wonder if using a bottle for some of the supplementing times is ok until she is fully weaned from them.. The question is how will I know its ok to start taking away some of the extra ounces? Lamamama, you seem to know an awful lot about this..what are your thoughts? Daffodil Dreamer what was the process like for you? We are at the 8 week mark now, so I feel so encouraged by your words.. what did you have to do with your little ones exactly? thanks again ladies.. you are terrific!
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  12:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Julia! This sounds like me! I successfully nursed my first two, but with my third daughter, it was so hard! She was born 4 weeks early, and had jaundice. She was a lazy nurserer and just didn't gain weight! Pumping and pumping was my life! Oh, how I learned to hate the sound of that machine, but it was SOOO important for me to nurse her, I am sure you know just how I felt! And my emotions were out of control, I was so tired!

After struggling like you, for almost 4 months, we came up with a routine that fit for us! I nursed normally, on demand all day and night, but gave 3 supplemental bottles, one around 9am, one in the afternoon, and one late at night, around 11pm. Baby Chloe gained weight like a champ, which satisfied the doc, and like you said, she slept!! Hooray for sleep! Getting 5-7 hours of sleep at night drastically changed my life!!

Honestly, the hardest part for me was coming to terms with it! You see, I am a predjuced breast-feeding mother, and would never DREAM of bottle feeding! BUT, we live and learn, and I learned that sometimes situations are out of our control. I did better, and truthfully, Chloe did better. She got all of the benefits of breastmilk, and the little boost of the extra calories and fat the supplemental bottles gave her.
And truthfully, letting myself believe that I wasn't LESS of a Mama because my third child actually sucked on an artifically nipple was when life got better....
Really, I learned alot thru it all, and when babe #4 started going down the same path as Chloe, I had a much easier time...and I got more rest.

Oh, Julia, I am thinking of you, and sending love and light to you!! I HAVE BEEN THERE! and it WILL get better!

My trouble was that neither Chloe, or Emme tolerated regular formula, and the hypo-allergenic stuff is so gross, they wouldn't take it. So, contrary to what most pediatricians suggest, I supplemented with fresh goats milk. I wouldn't recommend it for a sole source of nutrition for a babe, but for the extra 12-16 oz. my babe's needed it worked well. And it was organic!

I hope I can help you, email me, or call if you need more support.
Love and light to you,
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  7:02:39 PM  Show Profile
Rianna is a lucky babe to have such a devoted Momma Julia! Bless you for be so determined to give her your best! Praying things continue to improve for you both!
Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  09:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Julia,

You are an awesome mother! Rianna is a very lucky babe! You and your wee ones are in my thoughts. Stella and I are sending all sorts of farmgirl love to you!

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  5:48:15 PM  Show Profile
Julia, you sound like you're doing great! My sister went through the same thing when her daughter was born, and she had the lactation consultant and used the pump religiously, and finally at 5.5 months Elle has the hang of it, and now my sister hardly uses the pump anymore and both of them are doing good. You're doing fine no doubt, and it's only bound to improve!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  3:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Bless you for sticking in there and trying so hard for your little girl. She is one lucky baby to have a mom like you.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2007 :  3:30:23 PM  Show Profile
I have the opposite problem, my little one would suck me dry and gained weight so rapidly that I started giving him formula at about 3-4 months. This was just to give me a break. This is my fourth kid. I had never given a bottle regularly to a baby before. It's been a learning experience. I like being able to leave him with a sitter. He could care less if it's breastmilk, formula, my nipple, the bottle nipple. He's really easy. Breastfeeding is much easier to do! I cannot bottle feed and talk on the phone at the same time. But, bottle feeding has been fun too. It's like playing with a dolly. : )

I have had to space his feedings out more so that he takes in a lot more food in each feeding. I am completely weaning him at night. This is new to me as with my others I was a demand feeder to an extent. I like him being on a schedule though. I know for sure he is getting a full tummy each time he eats. And he's mainly on breastmilk now, he also has started solids.

I would say that you should just keep up some formula with your baby for awhile until her suck is stronger (milk comes out of the bottle faster than the breast). Then when your baby is stronger go back to just your breastmilk with an occasional bottle every now and then. It's good to have variety! Right? : ) Even just having them used to a bottle is nice so they can drink water or juice or take a bottle in the carseat when you are on a long car ride.

I used to be anti-formula just because I didn't want to support the industry. I think breastfeeding is very important, and formula is so expensive!!! But, I'm now thinking it's cool to have formula on hand to put in baby cereal, or use for the occasional bottle. It's nice.

Hope that helps. Hope you can stop pumping soon!! Yes, space her feeds out some and you'll see that she takes in more at each feeding. I wish you well!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Wife of Jonathan, Mother of Joel, Caitlyn, Elia, Nathanael
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2007 :  10:03:08 PM  Show Profile
Julia-
Oh mama- is Jennifer McKenzie your lactation consultant? I sure hope so because she saved my life when Bella was little, I pumped after every feeding for four months!!!! You and Rianna are gonna be OK, Isabella was 5th percentile (and still is) and she had great energy...our supposed breastfeeding friendly pediatrician told my husband at one well child check that she would be brain damaged if we did not give her formula...I called Jennifer and she just told me to calm down, look at Bella and decide if she seemed like she was brain damaged or unhealthy- of course she was fine. I stopped giving her the bottle after each feeding near the third or fourth month and she has slept through the night ever since... sleep is necessary for you both. I never tried the sns- I did use a nipple shield for four months as well.
Your little one will ask for what she needs when she is hungry and you are doing an amazing job. Drink nursing moms tea, trek up to the lactation consultant or call whenever you need to and just relax with your baby. Stress really affects my milk supply as does lack of water so keep full jars in every room. You are so brave and little girl is so lucky to have a momma who is committed and focused on her health and growth.
It will get easier soon- she will catch up and be fine...no worries. And get some tea for your postpartum hormones as well- a midwife of mine in Kooskia makes a great mix called JOY TEA and I can get you in touch with her if you want to order some- it is yummy and I drink it by the quart. Hope Doc is treating you sooo well, I am sure he is that rascal!
I may be in town next Thurs and Fri- maybe we can sit a spell and let our littles meet. If not then we will do it soon enough- maybe you can come stay and meet Stella too- she is dreamy!!!
LOVE LOVE LOVE,
Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  9:46:31 PM  Show Profile
You have no idea how these stories have helped and all this wonderful encouragement. I'm indebted!

Rebekka Mae, THANK YOU! My lactation consultant is Cindy Valeri and she's a total Goddess! I had a different gal for awhile, Gail Peterson is her name..lovely too but a little too "tough love" for me. Her words of encouragment had a haunting ring at times and Cindy was and is much softer. I'm thoroughly convinced however, that my emotions were so all over the map that poor Gail didn't stand a chance! She really is a remarkable person and is still involved even though she isn't the one I turn to for those touchy-feely strokes!

I just rented the pump for another month! I'm going on 6 weeks of doing this now and after speaking to many other women, I'm convinced that I'll be with this pump for a little while longer. Like you said, No Worries!

I can't tell you how much better I feel. Rianna is finally beginning to show signs of progress. She can actually move the plunger of the syringe down herself with the force of her suck, which is a great, great, great sign! She still gets really dozey while nursing so we're not out of the woods yet..but as she gets bigger and older, things are bound to continue to improve. Cindy is always saying to me, "Julia, it really is only a matter of time!" I'm feeling like we aren't in crisis mode anymore. I'm not sure we ever were but the way the medical professionals were framing everything it sure felt that way!

I can't imagine being told that if my baby didn't receive formula she'd be brain-damaged! The things people say and the things we never forget! Reminds me of what Meg quoted from Miss Manners in the Farmgirl Manners post. Honestly, if people just allowed themselves a few extra seconds to consider what they say and how it may come across things would be so much nicer.

I'm thinking of writing a little story..a journal type story of my experience and sharing it with the lactation people. It is my belief that if I describe my thoughts and feelings it may give a perspective that hadn't been considered before. A sort of "this is what I was told" BUT "this is what I heard and felt emotionally as a result." A perfect example was when Gail told me that Rianna was in "energy conservation mode". She was getting just enough nutrition to maintain but not to grow. What I heard was (in my emotional state)Rianna is barely conscious..just hanging on...practically dying....You can imagine how my mind spiralled from there.. Little irrational things happened constantly for weeks..all because the entire experience was so new and different. I would have appreciated hearing things like "Julia, Rianna just needs to learn to suck better and she will..let's give her some time." or "Julia, this is what we do...we help moms and babies work out the kinks." I plan on writing it..what I need to decide is if I'm going to share it with anyone. It may just prove a wonderful exercise for myself. Your thoughts??????
Oh, Rebekka Mae, would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see you and the kids! Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to come to Moscow and hang with you all.. I'm thinking in Spring months when life settles more, there's more color and we can be outside!!!!! If you are ever in Spokane and can spare the time, PLEASE come on over!
farmgirl love to you all!
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:07:03 PM  Show Profile
Julia- While you are pumping so often why don't you create a special corner with flowers, a favorite painting or picture and a nice view just for that...your house has so many beautiful corners for such a milky place! Make it a bit fun- your quiet corner (except for the noise of the pump which is terrible!) to meditate for a minute or two, relax and then pump and b ready to run around mothering. Keep water there with lemon or cucumber in it as well.
I am glad to hear that you found Cindy. I had the same experience with Gail- she is great but a bit to tough for little old me and isn't Cindy a delight!!! Jennifer is my gal all the way- she hostesses the mom and baby group on Wednesdays at 10 which is amazing, you should try it one of these days...perfect reinforcement for those tough weeks.
It is so good they have a variety of women up there at Sacred Heart since we each need something different. I really encourage you to write about your experience, maybe we should band together with some other moms and make up a little booklet....wouldn't I have loved to have had such stories to read when I was pumping all hours and so emotional. You should also think about telling the director of the hospital about how much this has helped you- they are always faced with cutting back and they need to know how life changing the services truly are. I write every so often and I know it is heard and appreciated by Jennifer too. Megan lent me the little black fleece outfit you made for Stella- Bella looks so cute and is so warm in it and Stella will be someday too...what pattern did you use? I would love to make more or buy one from you when you are sewing again. Bella wears your dresses at least twice a week and is bursting out the seams- I can't wait to have bigger ones this spring.
I will see you soon;)
LOVE< Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:25:27 PM  Show Profile
A lady at my church has put her daughter on goats' milk. She gets a gallon each week from someone in Claremore, OK and she gives the goats' milk to her in a bottle without diluting it. Her baby will be 1 in April. Her baby was not gaining weight and her hair was very sparse, now her eyes shine and her hair is coming in and she is gaining and doing well. Goats' milk is very close to breastmilk.

The lengths we go to for these sweet little people! Hope Rianna gets stronger soon. You'll feel human again when you have more sleep.

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Feb 09 2007 12:28:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2007 :  12:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Oh, also, undress Rianna for each feeding and get a cold washcloth for her cheek if she gets drowsy. I just remembered having to do this with my third. She was a drowsy girl. I would have to put her on a blanket on the floor, undressed so that she would really be awake for her feeding.

Have you spaced her feeds farther apart in time? I think I made the mistake of feeding my baby too often and not getting enough milk in her at a time and not letting her get enough sleep at a time.

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2007 :  4:04:57 PM  Show Profile
Julia....you should write about this experience! I wish I would have written it all down, when it was all fresh in my mind...

I remember being terrified, and crying almost to the point I was sick after my ped. said things like "failure to thrive" and "conservation mode" and "supplementing is not just an option, it is essential." I sometimes wonder if these docs don't get paid for giving out free Similac...

Julia, keep your head up, and know that I am thinking of you....

Love and light...
Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2007 :  09:20:20 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Julia!
Sorry to have been away -- too much going on here @ my house to stop in for a visit. I hope things are stable, perhaps even improving for you. With your courage, determination, & great Mothering, I feel confindent that you will find your way....

First off, I think I should say that I can't do any kind of real diagnosis online - just a little educated feedback. I'm glad you're continuing with the lactation consultant, & that you've seen more than one. That was going to be my first suggestion to you, but in the time I've been away, you took care of that issue. :) Just as with Doctors, some consultants are a better fit for us, than another one. I do hope that the consultants gave you a good demo of how to use the SNS, & how to adjust the flow rate. That would most likely help with the feeding sessions that seem to go on forever. I don't think they should be taking quite that long. It is also not the best idea to tire out a baby (expecially premies - even tho that isn't your issue) during feeds. Another thing I myself would want to explore - even if briefly - would be to inquire with your Pediatrician about the "weak suck" issue. Ask her/him why he/she thinks your baby has that issue. Are you seeing a real improvement with that, @ this point?

Also, the literature shows that babies gain weight better when kept close to Mama's body - as in a baby sling. Wearing your baby would be another easy intervention to try. Finally, & maybe most importantly, I would like to say again that you are doing a such a GREAT job!!! Please make sure that you are not being too hard on yourself. Yes, we all want to exclusively breastfeed our precious babies, but sometimes it doesn't work out that way. When there are real, valid reasons to supplement, thank goodness for the "formula." Think of it as medicine, not poison. And do NOT look at your breastfeeding this baby as any kind of a failure. Even for those Moms who can only breasfeed for a short while, I tell them that for however long they did breastfeed exclusively, it was a complete SUCCESS. It may have been a short success, but it was still a success. And if you have to supplement, then you are still breastfeeding, & still doing the best you can. That is successful, good Mothering - NOT failure!

How are things going now? Has baby's weight gain be adequate? Has the lacatation consultant discussed weaning any of the supplemental feedings?
Hope you are taking care of yourself, & hang in there..... things will be OK.
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2007 :  4:27:58 PM  Show Profile
Smoooooooches to you all!!!
Melanie..thank-you for all the wonderful info..likewise for you Rebecca..great stuff! I am VERY HAPPY to report that we are doing really really well.. Rianna gained a whopping 9 ounces last week! That puts her at 12.4 lbs at 10 weeks of age. She's doing fantastic. Her "weak" suck is getting stronger every single day. It is so obvious now. I have been able to wean her from the formula supplements now and am using as supplements only breast milk that I pump. Rebekka, your suggestion of a "milky place" is so perfect I just wanted to cry I was laughing so hard! I will definitely set something like that up in my bedroom since we are having company coming tomorrow through next week and I doubt they will appreciate my gorgeous breasts hanging out in my "milk machine" (what my kids affectionately call the pump!)
I have increased the time between nursings too to 3 hours. My doctor didn't think she was getting enough sleep, which is why she was so dozey at breast. HUGE difference!
I think all of these things and the fact that she is getting older and stronger all the time is helping. I can really see the light at the end of the tunnel. Like I told Cindy on Monday, "We aren't out of the woods, but we are sure enjoying this beautiful meadow!"
Thanks again..these words of encouragement mean so much!
Julia Hayes

Go to Top of Page

Lucy
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lucy
Des Moines Iowa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  03:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone. For an old granny who nursed all four in my heyday, I'd say you're getting some very good advice, Julia. If it's any consolation to you, I usually took at least 30 minutes with each feeding, and since my milk came so fast and furious, they usually loaded up in a couple minutes, but then it was snooze, nurse, snooze, nurse. Letting a babe suckle is truly good for them, and that's why I would take so long.
I thought you all might like some light hearted funny stuff amidst the seriousness here, so I will relate my first nursing experience. Everything was sterile in the 50's, (1950's that is! Ahem! Some of you can't even think back that far! Ha!) and they would always bring a little square moist cloth for me to wipe my breasts prior to nursing. One day I asked the nurse if that was alcohol. She must have been day dreaming, because she said "yes". So when I got home, I dutifully got the guaze squares and the alcohol and cleaned my breasts prior to each feeding. Baby Mark nursed fine in the hospital, but at home he would fuss and spit the nipple out and then try again and go through facial gyrations, etc, try to nurse again (the kid was hungry!), repeat the theatrics a few times, and finally, since the milk by now would be beginning to come out all 7 faucets with great force, he would make an absolutely determined to "get-it-or-else" effort and latch on and hang in there with certain facial contortions while nursing, and finally settle into a rythematic routine after the initial theatrics and onslaught of milk. Hmmmm. Dummy me. My Sunday School teacher once told me, prior to Mark's birth, that the first one always survives in spite of the parents! Truer words were never spoken! Well, one day, while fixing the alcohol swabs, I acccidently got my finger in my mouth! Let me tell you, the alcohol nonsense stopped cold turkey! I'm still apologizing to our son for that, and he turned 50 last December! Poor little duffer. Well, that's maybe why he's so tough now to face life's darts, his mom started him out on alcohol! :) Thank God, he doesn't use the stuff now! I maybe cured him before he got started! :)

Another fun thing about nursing him, he couldn't swallow the onslaught of milk that much and that fast so he would jerk away for air, promply get sprayed royal with a shower of milk, yell and cry about 2 seconds, and with great determinations come right on back through that onslaught shower of milk and latch on again! Oh man! Such memories! Precious memories.

I'll tell you all another one, and then be on my way. I was quite sentimental about nursing our last one, little Lois, thinking she just might be our last and I enjoyed my kids so much, and especially the nursing part, it's so precious. So I didn't want to quit too soon. Some Moms give their kids a bottle for 3 years, and that is socially acceptable, but nursing? Remember, this was back in the 50's and 60's, and at that time nursing was looked down on, and nearly everyone bottle fed their babies. Anyhooooooo, after a long family vacation in which I used the nursing to calmly get her to sleep during our camping nights, I proceeded to wean her.
Remember, by now she is 3, and well able to talk. She would ask for "num num", and I would tell her I didn't have any milk in my "num nums" anymore. One day, after having been told that a few times, she asked me when I would get some more milk in my "num nums". I told her when the good Lord wanted me to have some more milk in my num nums, He would put some there. I can still see her getting this contemplative look on her face and whimsically saying, "Maybe He will put in some lemonade!" Obviously, we drank a lot of lemonade in those days! Now how about that for a nursing story!? You all have a good day, and Mamalama, if you read this, please get in touch with me somehow. I will watch this post for a while to see if you respond. I see you have no email address posted, and that's fine. Okay, this is your one-upon-a-time-was, then-wasn't, and-wish-I-could-be-again a farmgirl, your farm sis Lucy signing off.

May the good Lord take a likin' to ya!
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile
Lucy, I loved your stories.... LOL. Maybe some day I'll tell one of my own milk spraying stories, such as the time it went out all over, & sprayed my poor old dog, innocently lying across from the rocking chair, right in the face! He didn't know what had hit him. Very fun -eee.

And I completely agree with you - breastfeeding is among the very best times, the best memories....... of my life. Breastfeeding can be a tough row to hoe, sometimes, but the prize you get is truely priceless. I try to convey that to my patients when they want to give up so quickly, but it is a hard concept to translate. I do keep trying, tho.

I have sent you an e-mail - hope it arrives.
Go to Top of Page

Lucy
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lucy
Des Moines Iowa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  8:21:27 PM  Show Profile
Got the message, Lamamama, and Melonie, keep up the good work! You're doing fine. Farm sis Lucy.

Go to Top of Page

Lucy
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Lucy
Des Moines Iowa
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2007 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile
PS to Lamamama! I LOLed (laughed out loud) about the dog - nursing story, too! Did he end up licking his chops? If I had a few more stories like that I could lose a few pounds with this belly shaking laughing I'm doing! :) 'Nite, ladies. Sis Lucy signing off.

Go to Top of Page

theonlygirl
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Christi
Kaysville Utah
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2007 :  8:24:28 PM  Show Profile
I am a new farm girl here, but I just wanted to say that my first two nursed like champs (until they were 3). Then I had this little baby who would rather sleep than nurse, actually he would rather do anything but nurse. I thought for sure he would wean early, but I am happy to say he is 18 months old, still nursing and says boo pwease. So hang in there!

Christi
the only girl - in a house full of boys

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2007 :  9:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Well Julia, I am very late in this conversation, but you have done everything that I have been through and all the emotions of it. I understand and you are getting great advice from everyone here and sounds like you are doing well with the docs and lactation consultants. My first four were great nursers from the first minute they slid out of me and into my arms. They all nursed until the next one took their place and some shared the space for awhile. Then came my twins...I completely understand all your drain of emotions with that pump and schedules and recording feed times and ounces and the words you hear at the ped that make you feel dizzy. One of my twins could nurse fast and furious and weighed 13 pounds at 6 weeks. The other look like an alien and was not very responsive and weighed only 5lbs. 10oz. When they were born they were five weeks early and weighed 5lbs8oz each. We went through everything with that baby that you are going through now. Keeping her on schedule and trying to let her chubby sister eat when she wanted was quite a chore. Anyway to make a long story short, by the time they were 6 months old, they weighed within one ounce of each other, I got rid of the pump and they both happily nursed until our next baby was born at the end of April last year. Now ofcourse, this baby nurses like a champ and we are very happy with that. We now know how much trouble it can be, but so worth it. I am so happy that you have stuck with it and you and your baby are doing well. I remember reading your announcement months ago in my sisters kitchen. I hope you and your baby continue to strive and keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic My baby update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page