ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2007 :  7:53:47 PM  Show Profile
Years ago, when my older 2 sons were in grade school, I used to turn the TV off for the entire month of February. The boys had to do homework, read books or the newspaper every evening with me. We listened to the radio a lot too. It is liberating in many ways. The first week is the hardest, but after that I'm sure you'll adjust to it. Keep us posted on how you do.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  05:01:47 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
We've not had cable T.V. for, hmmm...going on 5 yrs now. We don't get network either. We have a subcription to Netflix and the kids have their movie collections ~ that's it. Even that seems like too much sometimes.

The wonderful thing is not being subjected to commercials. And the news? No thanks. I'll take public radio over T.V. news anyday! Although, I'll bet the interveiws and such are interesting.

My one daughter is 14 (the other is two) and she is in no way out of it at school. The kids ask her how she lives without cable and she gives them a funny look and asks how they find time to watch T.V. anyway? She reads tons, and she keeps abreast of the shows kids are watching just from listening to them talk, and watching small amounts at friends' houses. It doesn't take much to "catch up" on these shows.

Just my two cents. It hasn't hurt us one bit :)

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2007 :  09:48:22 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone.
My DH said last night that he plans on just discontinuing all TV. It will be a huge cost savings and help pay our health insurance premiums, also I really don't have lots of time to watch it and maybe the girls will learn to love to read. Well, I have one who already does, but my older daughter has yet to discover the joy of being lost in a good book. I think I'll subscribe to the NICK magazine for them. That should keep them up on their shows. It also has a good dose of educational stuff and funny cartoons too. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences. It has really helped me!
Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  1:55:39 PM  Show Profile
Hi gals, I right there with the amish,in fact mos of my neighbors thought we where. I laughed at them and said do you not see my truck, my outside barn lights. I do make choices, I don't have cable and have not since we moved here. I do not have cell phones, Ipods, flat screens, we even have just plain old dial up computer. I too found that if you are hooked up into all kinds of things it is easy to disconnect from those things that we live out in the country for. I also find that what now passes for entertainment is anything but - I wished that people would be as involved in those around themselves are they are in the plots of these mindless shows. How about going outside and playing the game instead of watching it and making mortal men worth millions for throwing a ball. I do not need the newest gadgets nor do I need to hear about the spoiled,drug addicted,superstar who does not wear underpants. Life is so short I would hate to think that I wasted time figuring out that desperate housewives is something that our sisterhood is striving for. I too watch movies VHS and now I have some DVD's but if I had the 500 channels t pick from it would take me most of the day to pick and by then it would be bedtime. Maybe in some peoples eye's I am amish but I would look at that as a good thing. Keep reading, crafting, cooking and being a farm gal.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

koolaidqueen
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Julie
Sherwood Michigan
25 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2007 :  2:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi, Georgann and other farmgirls
I am pleased to hear of your plans. You will find that you didn't know how you got anything done when you had the television. There are so many things to explore and learn about. If you need to find something to do, check out a Girl Scout manual and earn a badge. A super farmgirl came up with that idea on another topic and I thought it was fabulous!! (I'm sorry I can't remember who wrote that idea but thumbs up!!!) Anyway, keep learning and growing in a good farmgirl way!!

Julie...Official Farmgirl, Gardener, Stitcher, County Fair girl, and lots of other stuff!!
"I love the way libraries smell." -That Wild Berries Should Grow by Gloris Whelan
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:31:19 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt George

Sarah and Rosemary.....I just had a feeling about you girlfriends! *wink*

"Why, whatever do you mean?" she said, tossing a handful of flour and cinnamon into the bonfire. The fragrant sparkles that rose up briefly from the flames in the wake of her hand never ceased to delight the children....

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:43:02 AM  Show Profile
I have TV & I LIKE IT! I am not a crazy tv person but I watch it. My daughter growing up watched it a bit but I never had a problem, she'd be outside most times anyway & loved it so for us it was never a big issue. I think its great in its proper perspective but like anything, too much will get you.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:50:04 AM  Show Profile
LOL....thank you all for this discussion. Today is the last day of cable, so I am getting my fix of the old movies and American Idol toight! I will miss it, but I really do have way too much going on to waist time on tv. So today I am cutting out skirts, petticotes and something very special for someone!!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  10:50:52 AM  Show Profile
I do have a question, how does tv keep you from doing something? Even when mine is on, Im NEVER sitting down just watching that & doing nothing. Who does that? My hands are never idle except when Im sleeping. Just curious.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2007 :  12:33:28 PM  Show Profile
We just limit it, I watch PBS alot, we like the political insight stuff, McNeill Leher, did I spell that right? by alot I mean twice a week, really don't have the time, we have like one hundred channels and watch three, what a crack up, oh and we had HBO because I was a deadwood fanatic so we can probably get rid of that now! The internet if far more addictive for me than tv, I actually feel guilty being on here right now, I think it sublimates alot for human interaction!! As much as I love this forum I have been avoiding going on here so much............ I think it's important to weed out all of the technological distractions! There are so many! I even got rid of my cell phone...... One hour can become three here. but I do love all of you jo

"life is drab without a lab"
http://homepage.mac.com/thomja/Anchorage/PhotoAlbum15.html
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  2:38:48 PM  Show Profile
I know that I'm weighing in late, but...

I made a unilateral family decision one year ago to do away with our satellite service. It was the *BEST* decision that I have ever made for our family!! Here is why:
1) My boys were becoming idiots, I'm sorry to say, and harsh though that may sound. My DH travels, and when he would return home from a 3 or 4 day trip, they would tell him about "Timmy Turner" (a cartoon character) as though "Timmy Turner" were a real person. Yowza...
2) I don't know how I *ever* got anything done before. Seriously. With the exception of the hour or so that I'm on the computer each day, I'm pretty much working on *something* around the house from the time the boys leave for school until I go to bed to read and wind down. I honestly don't know how I got anything accomplished before.
3) We talk more as a family now. About things that are really important - not about shows, not about the ever-depressing news, not about sporting events. We talk about what is going on in our lives.
4) DH and I no longer live our lives around the TV. We go to bed when we are tired. No more staying up until "XYZ" show is over. No more being a slave to stupid sitcoms. No more NASCAR on Sundays. We aren't glued to the tube for NFL all fall, NBA all winter, MLB and spring/summer. We go out on hikes, take the kids to minor-league games, go for bike-rides. We find a way to combat boredom being *active* instead of passive.

Sure - it's difficult being "...out of the loop..." as far as the news goes. But really: as long as I have the internet, I can always find out whatever I *really* need to know. And I'm not really missing much by not watching Entertaining Tonight, *THAT'S* for certain! We have DVDs and can borrow more for free from the public library, not to mention Blockbuster is just a 30-minute R/T walk. ~ K

~ Kaylyn
(Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Current Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:21:25 AM  Show Profile
Good for you gals for getting rid of the TV. MY dh would never go for it although, I have stopped him from getting cable/satellite for about a year now! I know that when we get caught up financially the first thing that will happen is getting satellite TV. My husband is addicted even though he won't admit it; he has to watch his shows! My kids watch too much TV as it is and we only have like 6 channels that come it clearly. We do have a great collection of movies that my ds (3) usually watches; most of them Disney. I definetly agree with another poster about some of the cartoons not even being fit for adults! I would like to limit his TV time because I know he watches a lot when he is home all week with my dh (my dh works weekends, I work weekdays). DS watches more TV in the winter obviously because he can't get outside as much. My dd goes to school and is busy with homework and friends so doesn't have as much time to watch TV. We did have Netflicks for a while, but I never had time to watch the movies we got and ended up sending them back because they just cluttered the counter! I do like TV and some of the cable channels (TLC, DIY,etc), but I can easily get sucked into them and I don't like that. I have other things more productive to do. Even though, I do watch a little TV, I am usually doing something else also, I can't just sit there. A lot of times I am reading a book, while the TV is on! I would definitely be OK without a TV in our home, but since that won't happen, when I am home, I CAN turn it off at least. There just has to be a balance.
BB,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page

Naturecraft
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Cheryl
Loveland CO
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention in my post about Feature Films for Families. If you don't like all the bad content found in the normal movies/cartoons nowadays this company had been producing films suitable for children to watch. I have known about them for a couple years now, you might want to check them out on the internet. We have about a dozen movies from them that are more appropiate and have great life lessons for children.
BB,
Cheryl
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Reading Room: Previous Topic Doing away with cable TV Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page