Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Herbal Wisdom
 Ordering herbs for the farmer's market
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Ordering herbs for the farmer's market Next Topic  

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  07:43:23 AM  Show Profile
I am placing an order for locally grown herbs to sell at the farmer's market with my flowers this summer. I'm ordering what I know sells the best based on last years sales, but would like to know what herbs you like to see at your local farmer's market!
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  11:33:26 AM  Show Profile
Ann, are these cut/harvested herbs or the plants themselves? For me, for cooking, I love basil, and since I like to make pesto and freeze it for winter cooking, I would probably buy a big bunch fairly frequently and whip up batches every week or two for the freezer. Attractively bundled herbs for moth deterrant would probably sell ok too. I have a hard time passing up bundles of lavender, too, just because of the smell and that is a romantic herb for me. If it is small plants then a much wider variety would generate interest I bet. And don't forget scented geraniums if you are offering plants; they go hand in hand with herbs. Good luck!! What type of flowers do you sell? Nance
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  11:51:45 AM  Show Profile
BASIL, BASIL & more BASIL...all varities!!!
Varigated sage, lemon balm, oregano & purple sage. Herbs that not only look pretty, but taste great.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  10:09:26 AM  Show Profile
I ordered 408 pots of herbs. They come in 3 1/2 inch pots, and each one has a great herbal recipe or idea on the back of the tag. I ordered: basil: magic mountain, spicy globe and sweet, bee balm, catmint, cilantro, dill, lavender: Hidcote, Lemon balm, Lemon verbena, majoram: sweet, mint: peppermint and spearment, oregano: greek and italian, pasley: curled and italian, rosemary: officinalis, sage: golden and tri color, and thyme: german winter and lemon variegated.
I can order more (based on availability) once all of these sell.

Nance, I love scented geraniums too. Last year I had lime. I think that the rose would sell better. I sell fresh bouquets with a variety of flowers that grow in Michigan. I often add cut herbs to the arrangements too.
Ann
http://annforrester.tohe.com

Edited by - Forrester Farm on Feb 01 2007 10:10:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  11:13:20 AM  Show Profile
Ann, sounds like you have all the bases covered. Best wishes for much success! Nance
Go to Top of Page
  Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Ordering herbs for the farmer's market Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page