Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Nance in France: I need you to translate...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Nance in France: I need you to translate... Next Topic  

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  4:21:06 PM  Show Profile
Bonjour, Nancy! Here's an odd request, but it comes from me, so go figure. Went to Goodwill today and bought some 'Hello Kitty' stationery for myself (can you believe I'm mid-fifty?? My husband just laughed as he saw how thrilled I was to find this!). There's French words on the stationery and I can't remember enough of my high school Fr to figure it out. Could you please translate?? I need to know what I'm sending. Here it is:

"Comment vas-tu? J'ecris ce message a la terrasse d'un cafe et j'ai demande a un petit oiseau du bonheur de te l'apperter, rien que pour toi." I think I've got the last two words: "for you."

If you will translate for me, I'll write you a letter with the stationery (isn't that thrilling?). And I'll find some little goodies to send as well.

Thanks, cheri!

katie

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  5:13:11 PM  Show Profile
Katie youre cutie patootie!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  5:52:52 PM  Show Profile
If I may, I'll translate a bit of it, and see if the fluent French speaker would translate it the same way:

"How are you? I am writing this message at a terrace of a cafe and I ask a little bird -----(something I don't remember).... for you." Hee! :D

(And that's completely from memory- it's been at least 3 years since I had a French class.)

Edited by - Persephone on Jan 29 2007 5:53:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  7:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Julie

P -- I'm impressed! Maybe you'd like a little 'Hello Kitty' mail, too?!

I'm curious to see what those final few words are. Nance?
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  9:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Okay, there is a website I posted a few pages back on "Across the Gate" that will translate a word or phrase for you. The forum name is "fun with translations." Apparently, it does a so-so job because this is the word-for-word translation I got:

How are you? I ecris this message has the terrace of a coffee and I have request has a small bird of the happiness of you it apperter, only for you."

I can only hope that Nancy's French connection can do a MUCH better job!

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  01:57:56 AM  Show Profile
"Comment vas-tu? J'ecris ce message a la terrasse d'un cafe et j'ai demande a un petit oiseau du bonheur de te l'apperter, rien que pour toi." I think I've got the last two words: "for you."

Bonjour, mes amis! Here is the real deal and I even had hubby check me! (and great job to my fellow translators)

"How are you? I write this message on the terrance of a cafe and I have asked a little bird of happiness to take it to you, only for you".

Voilà, ma cherie! Having OBVIOUSLY lived a sheltered life I know nothing about Hello Kitty (to my knowledge) so will waith with bated breath to see what comes in the mailbox!!!! Thanks for giving me something fun to look for! Avec amour, Nance
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  05:42:32 AM  Show Profile
Oh Nancy Hello Kitty is SOOOO cute!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  05:59:21 AM  Show Profile
Boujour Nance!

Yes, Julie is correct-o mungo -- Hello Kitty is the best, cutest line of stuff, very popular in Japan and with little girls here since at least the 1970s. There are backpacks, notebooks, purses, sheets, etc, etc. You'll see how sweet little Kitty's face is when I send your missive!

Avec amour to you, too ................. katie
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  08:12:22 AM  Show Profile
My "fake nieces," (the daughters of my best friends who call me their "fake auntie) absolutely loathe "Hello Kitty" stuff and make fun of it all the time. One of them who is especially artistic threatened to come out with a line of dun-colored accessories called "Hello Pitbull." Thought I'd die laughing.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  08:37:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh, those girls are just too cool for Hello Kitty!

I'm not.
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  08:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
That's too funny, Rosemary! Tell your "fake nieces" that my pitbull, Buster thinks it's way past time he got respect, too! He would be more than happy to be their "poster pit". :)

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2007 :  10:01:37 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Katie, I fear the day when those girls will become too cool to be seen hanging out with me! I'm sure it'll happen one of these days *sigh*
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Nance in France: I need you to translate... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page