Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Nails! Next Topic  

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  12:48:00 PM  Show Profile
I searched the forums for an earlier thread on this topic and, to my surprise, didn't find one. Here goes, then.

Although I'm in good health and up until maybe two years ago used to have relatively healthy nails, they've gotten weaker and more dried out over the past two years. One nail has developed a vertical split that can catch on cloth, or a blanket in bed, and get worse -- OWIE! Nothing I do helps it to grow out mended. It sometimes interferes with must-do chores, such as laundry, as well as preventing me from feeling pretty, so it's not just a matter of vanity.

I use Barielle products (no formaldehyde, among other virtues) and when I take the time to do a proper manicure with them, my nails look nice, but this one with the split is driving me nuts!

I'm wondering if this is a symptom of a vitamin deficiency, if I'm neglecting something vital in my diet, or just what. I don't use harsh cleaning supplies and always wear good gloves when gardening and so on. Anyone have wisdom to share on how to deal with this?

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  2:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Rosemary, in looking in my Nutritional Healing book it mentions lack of Vitamin B could be one cause of dry and weak nails. Also not enough liquid in the diet, causes cuts and cracks in the nails. Carrot juice is high in calcium and phosphorus and is good for strengthening nails. For splitting nails or hangnails take 2TBLs brewers yeast or wheat germ oil daily. It also mentions that to strengthen nails try soaking them in warm olive oil or cider vinegar 10 to 20 min. daily. Hope that helps. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  3:17:05 PM  Show Profile
Vitamin B, eh? Thanks! I'll look into that, and your other suggestions. I know I don't drink enough water, so I'll start with that right away; it might not fix my nails, but it won't hurt!

Meanwhile, and good ideas for giving this darn nail with the vertical split a chance to grow out normal? I'ce tried taping a protective steel & sponge thing on that finger, and even having a fake nail put on it while it grew out some. That almost worked, but here I am again.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  08:28:25 AM  Show Profile
I'm mortified to say that some further research has revealed that part of what I'm experiencing is a function of <gulp> OLD AGE!!! Yikes. And yes, Marybeth, although the problem is supposedly almost impossible to fix, the B vitamins, calcium & protein are helpful (and found in all the good stuff we all know we're supposed to eat), and just drinking more water and keeping the nails oiled. Dermatologists apparently recommend using hydrating creams containing lactic acid. I suppose actual cream has that. Hmm...maybe those dames of bygones years who frittered away their idle hours in milk baths were on to something!! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  09:23:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh no, Not the dreaded (double gulp) OLD AGE. I am guilty of that too, don't tell anybody though. HA Yeah, drink water it does a body good. MB
I have to add: well, not that old!!!

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Jan 29 2007 09:25:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  10:42:48 AM  Show Profile
My neice is studying cosmetology and she says to soak it in vinegar. I never heard this, but it's worth a try.
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  11:00:41 AM  Show Profile
Rosemary- Is it possible that while you had the fake nail on , you developed an infection down in the nail bed that might just be festering and prolonging the problem? I seem to remember hearing something about this same thing being a problem with regular artificial nail wearers. Might be worth investigating too,good luck!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  5:28:53 PM  Show Profile
As a lifelong weak nail person, I can sympathize...

I have two thoughts -

1. Tea tree oil applied twice daily for at least a month is supposed to be good for eliminating nail fungus -- is it possible you have a fungal infection? It probably couldn't hurt!

2. Watkins has a supplement specifically for hair, skin and nails. I am not intending this to be a sales plug -- just wanted to let you know what their nutritionists have come up with for nail health. The main ingredients are: Vitamin C, Biotin (B7), Pantothenic Acid (B5), Zinc, and Copper. The "lipotropic factors" (Fats?) are choline, inositol, and essential fatty acids complex, soy lecithin, evening primrose oil, and omega-3 marine liquid concentrate (fish oil?). The "structural support nutrients" are glucosamine hydrochloride (usually recommended for cartilege repair/arthritis) and organic sulfur. The "botanical factors" are red grape anthocyanosides, green tea leaf extract, ho shou wu root (huh? according to wikipedia, another source of lecithin) and some other minor ingredients like black pepper and ginger that are in all their supplement products as a "bio-activator"

Hope this helps.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Nails! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page