westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  09:26:18 AM  Show Profile
Having read frannies post it made me think of my own dream vacation. I've always wanted to go to Australia. I want to see it all from the bush to Melbourne. I watch everything I can about it, read about it. It just seems to be the most awesome country w/ more diversity then I can imagine. Alaska is my second place but I MUST see Australia.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

gregs_lil_farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

219 Posts

birdi
hartford me
USA
219 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  3:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Send gregs_lil_farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
You know? probably 6 months ago, I would have been able to put my dream vacation here. I love the mountains and still would like to go to Vermont in the Autumn. Australia is certainly a foreign country that fascinated me. But Maine was always my dream, I have achieved it and as they say...there is no place like home. Alaska was always my 2nd choice but I'll probably never make it now and I am content.

-Simple pleasures make my heart smile-
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2007 :  09:30:11 AM  Show Profile
Michele, how lucky for you that we have Daffodil Dreaming Jayne in Australia who can probably give you a wealth of info as you dream of your ultimate vacation!! We went November 2005 and stayed through the first week of January to visit hubby's oldest daughter and her 11 year old. They live in the country about a two hour drive from Brisbane, which is a beautiful city to visit. I hope you will be posting about your travels in the future! Nance
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  6:31:39 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
Please come to stay!! I would love to get a visit from a farmgirl! We are currently living in Western Australia, right down the bottom in Albany. But are moving back to Victoria, hopefully very soon! To a place called Mansfield in the high country. I want to be where it snows!
So anytime, I would love visits from any farmgirls! I wish I had known you, Nance, when you came to Australia - we could have met up!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  7:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Jayne it just sounds so wonderful & the people are the best.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  03:33:12 AM  Show Profile
I was belssed enough to spend a month there with my family back in 1989. Do go. I love this better than Africa.

The people are so warm and friendly. And the anmials are really cool.

We basically started at Sydney, to Cairnes and The Reef, Darwin, and then spent a week driving straight through the middle. Climbed to the top of Ayer's Rock and signed the book, made other stops throughout including Melbourne, Adelade and a really cool place called Coober Pedy. This is the opal mining capital, so there's deep skinny holes everywhere. We stayed in a motel that was undergound. Saw koala and platypus on a tiny island beneath Australia called Kangaroo Island. Stayed at a sheep herder's ranch.

The biggest tip I can offer is, if you want to see the local wildlife, you have to get up waaaay early when the animals are up and about, not when the tourists guides let you sleep in.

There's just so much, and our adventures were only on one half the continent.

Follow your dreams!!!!

Go to Top of Page

LizDarnell
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Liz
Gulfport MS
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile
Australia is my dream trip too. Dh and I would love to take our girls and spend 2 weeks there. We may have to start saving this year to go in the next 3 years. My brother is planning on taking orders to Alice Springs, Australia and we promised that if he did we would come at least once while he is stationed there. I hope it all works out, we are more happy driving around/walking and looking and taking pictures than shopping and hanging out in a city so we can probably have fun on a very limited budget, I hope.
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2007 :  1:38:59 PM  Show Profile
Liz,
Australia is definitely a great place to holiday on a limited budget. So much of the life here is about being outdoors, so if you avoid the shopping (which who can't do that at home anyway!) and the tacky theme parks on the Gold Coast, there is so much to do! And to see the wildlife, you don't need to go on a tour either. The locals will now where to see them in the wild. Although if you want to pat a koala, you will need to go to a wildlife sanctuary.
I suppose the thing to budget for is accomodation. The distances in Australia are huge and if you have to pay for motel accomodation when travelling, it can get expensive. We just drove across Australia from Melbourne to Western Australia. It took us five days and we drove a lot. If you were sightseeing, you'd want to do it a lot slower. I'd look into hiring a campervan for those long distances, maybe.
Anyway good luck with the planning - that is so much fun! And hope to see some farmgirls here in Oz! The teapot will be on!!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic my dream trip is Australia Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page