Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 I missed Knitting tonight...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic I missed Knitting tonight... Next Topic  

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  6:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Farmgirls, can I vent?

Hubby is out of town on the second business trip in as many weeks. Jack got over the stomach bug from last week and was doing great for days...DAYS...until tonight. I was on my way out the door to my Tuesday Night Knitting Group (which I've missed for three weeks now and was DYING to get to), Grama was here all set to babysit when...whamo...the fever set in.

It came out of the blue. 102.2 - where did this come from and why now?!?

A call to the Nurse Line, a dose of Infant Tylenol and it came down to 101.5, enough to avoid an Urgent Care visit tonight and let him sleep. But, seriously...the "when it rains, it pours" thing? I'm getting a little sick of it!

His 1-year appointment is on his 1-year birthday on Thursday morning. THURSDAY. Today is TUESDAY. They said we may have to go in to the doc tomorrow, that'll be WEDNESDAY. But the official 1-year appointment can't happen until THURSDAY.

(Can you tell I'm a little irritated tonight?)

1. I don't want my baby to be sick and feel awful that he feels awful again.

2. Doctors and nurses - while generally helpful - are really bugging me lately.

3. I MISSED KNITTING AGAIN!

There, I vented. At least I'm sitting here with a bowl of ice cream. But still...would so much have preferred a decaf skim mocha with extra foam and the company of my knitting girls to help me re-do the cast-off on Dan's sock...

Mama needs a re-charge.

Catherine (a.k.a. "woe-is-me-C")

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  7:53:18 PM  Show Profile
Whew!! Glad to let you vent!! We all got big shoulders here. Things will be fine again. Nobody wants your baby to be sick. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  8:44:04 PM  Show Profile
So sorry you had to miss knitting again, Catherine - it's awful when you think the worst is behind you and it resurfaces again! Hope he is feeling better real soon.
We have had a stomach bug here too - whole family down with it. And we have had it on and off too. Four days ago, thought it was gone, then hubby and older daughter had it again; next day, I had it again. Then gone for two days, only to be back again this afternoon. Surely it can't be a worldwide bug! I sure hope it goes away soon!
Here's hoping next Tuesday night works out for you!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Chix-N-Dirt
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

South Eastern Kentucky
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  8:59:38 PM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear your baby is sick. My grown son and I were sick for a week on and off. I hope you get to go to your knitting group soon too. Those little things do help us recharge!
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  02:18:27 AM  Show Profile
Little ones are particularly pathetic when they are ill because they can't tell us exactly what is wrong. Thank goodness for baby Tylenol and icecream; next Tuesday will be here before you know it. Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  07:34:42 AM  Show Profile
Catherine, last year my son had the stomach flu and was sick on and off for a good to weeks. He would seem fine for a few days and then he'd throw up all over the dinner table. good times. hang in there. my two year old is sick again after just having strep a few weeks ago. I guess it comes with the territory. hope he is all better soon and you get some time for yourself.
-megan
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  08:18:11 AM  Show Profile
catherine- Give yourself a big hug because you are a great mom! Knitting will wait. He will only be little and helpless for so long. You made the right choice.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  10:13:56 AM  Show Profile
Farmgirls are the best. Thanks for words of encouragement!

Update: Jack was up from 11pm-4am last night, which meant that I was up too. The crying wouldn't stop and the fever was still elevated so we went to the Doc this morning. The diagnosis? NOTHING. Nothing is wrong with him. The fever cleared (98.9), every little part of him is perfectly healthy including his textbook-perfect ears (I was secretly hoping it would be an ear infection, at least we can treat that!), and he just has a little sore throat which I can do nothing about.

Great news that he's healthy, really, great news. But I'm still just battling with this sleep issue. He conked out in the car on the way home from the Doc and so I turned the normally 10 minute drive into a 60 minute drive as we toured the lakes and parkways around the city. He slept the entire time and is now sitting happily eating his lunch at his highchair.

What will this afternoon bring? What will tonight bring? Will I ever get a shower today? Who knows. But thanks for keeping me in your thoughts and offering such great Farmgirl advice. The "been there, done that" stuff really helps too!

(sleepy) Catherine

p.s. We re-scheduled his 1-year appointment to next week instead of tomorrow, since they don't want to give him shots when he's so crabby and just on the edge of illness. Good news for tomorrow, but that means we still have to go back next week. We're becoming a once-a-week-doctor-visit family this month!!

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  10:52:59 AM  Show Profile
I have sooo been-there-done-that...it's like you arrive at the Dr.s office just in time for them to pronounce your child completely well and look at you like you might be just a little bit on the "overly cautious side" BUT, that said...It is well worth the trip and the co-pay to know what's wrong..or in this case what isn't...

In regards to little J's sleeplessness...have you thought about sensetivities to his surroundings? I know for some folks it might be a little "out there" but I know with my own kids (and with myself) I sleep better in all cotton clothing...Some babies can be sensitive to the smell and feel of polyester pajamas...my oldest was this way. She slept better and was more relaxed in an all cotton diaper, 100% cotton onesie and a union suit...

I think Dr. Sears wrote about this in his baby book..or the other one 'Parenting the fussy baby and high-need child' which is a great book. Even though my kids never had "colic" a couple of my babe's were definately "higher need" and more sensitive to their surroundings...

Just food for thought...
Sending Love and light, and a good, deep, long nights sleep....
K

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  11:52:23 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear your baby is sick and the other troubles.
I just recently got over several virus bugs and the flu bug
I know it is hard to live with
I feel so for you youngest especially.
I am glad Jack is better.
It helps to vent now and then. I believe Momma does need a break. Lol.
Hugs and prayers for you. I hope things get better soon. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2007 :  1:33:29 PM  Show Profile
So sorry about Jack and all the frustration you had!! Sending you a great big farmgirl hug - and know that this too shall pass.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I missed Knitting tonight... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page