Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  9:37:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey-

How funny you should mention butter-

As I was just finishing milling my Vanilla Pecan soap, I was thinking-
Hey, butter has a high content of fat in it (mostly fat!) so couldn't you make soap out of butter?

Has anyone tried this and what would the saponification value be?

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  8:30:41 PM  Show Profile
Where does everyone get their lye? I used to see it at Wal-mart when I didn't have the guts to try actual soapmaking, but now I can't find it. I still think that the melt and pour soap is fun. It's a project that I can do with my daughter or let her do on her own and not worry about explosions or burns. When I got remarried earlier this summer my daughter and I made (milled?) 100 glycerine soaps that we custom scented with essential oils. It was great.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  8:32:41 PM  Show Profile
OH! A little p.s., Melissa, do you sell any of your Venus of Willendorf soaps? I would love to buy some as gifts for friends sometime (and for myself, what could be better than washing with a fertility goddess... or, maybe not come to think of it, hee hee).

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  03:13:40 AM  Show Profile
I buy Red Devil Lye at the grocery store near the DRAINO etc.
If it's not on the shelf, I always ask if they will check in back or order it-No Problem!

It's been a while since I was at Wal-Mart Superstore, but they didn't carry any then.
(2 plus years ago now) I had bought Olive Oil at a great price and figured this would also be a great source for lye...not such luck.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  06:06:15 AM  Show Profile
I can always find Lye (red devil usually) at the grocery or hardware store too. For some reason Walmart isn't good about carrying it here either. I buy my lye in bulk sometimes too..at a soapmakers supply place I found in Provo and the price is alot better.
Olive oil I have found in bulk at costco, but it is still my most expensive ingredient by far. I get my coconut oil in bulk in a bucket too.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  07:13:24 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that Red Devil lye is no longer safe to use for soapmaking...that they've changed the formula. I called the company and they don't recommend using it. This is the information I have. I ordered my sodium hydroxide from Summer Bee Meadow off the internet www.summerbeemeadow.com.

I would be interested in knowing where people get their oils...such as coconut oil and palm oil. I am paying $5/pound, which seems high to me as it takes 2 pounds of oils to make a small batch of soap. (plus olive oil and add ins). Any suggestions? I am in the Chicago area, and have been ordering on-line.
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  07:30:22 AM  Show Profile
Darn. And I just bought Red Devil lye to try soapmaking. I guess I'll use it on the drains if the need ever arises. Thank goodness I hadn't gotten around to that yet.

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile
Judi: I got my coconut oil in a large bucket from a baking supply company. I don't remember what it cost but I know it was a lot less than $5/pound. Check in your phone book for baking supplies.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2005 :  11:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Laura check the label on the red devil lye and see if they still have a soap recipe on it. If so then it should still be good. No telling how long lye is on the shelf before it sells..I hadn't heard about the formula changing so it hasn't been too long. I have used red devil most of the time...found a source to get lye in buckets though and use that now...if I remember the name I will post it..it is in Orem Utah.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  12:37:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi! I just started making soap and have about 5 batches that are cured. I was wondering how you store your soap until use or sale.

I was also wondering how you put together labels? I'm working on one with my oldest son and will print directly on the paper. Do any of you use adhesive labels instead? I'm even having a hard time finding just plain old text paper in our town. We live in a big area and all the craft/scrapbooking stores only carry card stock and scrapbooking papers. I'm looking for plain, brown paper with a little bit of an aged look to it. I found some in Portland, but had to drive forever and it ended up being pretty expensive. I bought just enough to get me by. ugh!

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2005 :  5:35:21 PM  Show Profile
I have made 2 batches of soap in the last month using red devil lye that i bought in the safeway store. The soap still turned out fine. What has been changed to make it unsafe for soap?
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:15:11 AM  Show Profile
I just called the company that makes Red Devil lye. They said that the product contains only 100% sodium hydroxide (lye). I then went to several soapmaking websites and all call for 100% lye. Red Devil even says 100% lye on the front. However, the lady did tell me that they have discontinued making it so the supply that is in stores is all that is left. So it sounds like we're safe with the soap we've made using Red Devil but need to find another source.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:19:59 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps it is just their standard, "we don't want to get sued" answer when people ask if it's okay to make soap with. Thanks, Kay, for looking into it.

http://ljrenterprises.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
phew! I was nervous there...but I guess I will have to take the "plunge" and start ordering online....
Thanks for looking into it for us!

Ciao

Alee
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2005 :  07:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Laura -- I think you're right in the fact that they're not going to say it's ok to make soap with.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  11:51:39 AM  Show Profile
Ok ladies -- Missy found a source for wholesale lye in Portland, OR. Fortunately for us we can pick it up and not have to pay shipping. But I thought I'd pass the info along in case any of you get desperate and need to order. http://www.essentialwholesale.com/index.html

The cost is 2 lbs for $4 or 50 lbs for $45 (plus shipping). You can order as many of the 2 lb containers as you want.

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  2:14:54 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention to my Mom that it is pick-up only, so if there are any of you near the Portland, Or. area it's a great deal. I get a lot of my other supplies from them. They have very high quality products and some of it is a little more spendy, but for me, if I have to pay shipping to order on-line, it all balances out in the end.

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  3:51:18 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for the incorrect info -- I just got so excited about having a place to get lye that I wanted to share it with everyone!

I'm still hot...it just comes in flashes.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2005 :  4:13:55 PM  Show Profile
Missy...I don' think you question about soap curing got answered...2 weeks is how long I wait.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  5:14:29 PM  Show Profile
OK. I'm a total newbie at soapmaking but have always wanted to do it. Where do I start? (I do have a book by Country Living called Handmade Soap) and I've been reading your posted sites - where in New England do I find ingredients? So many thanks!
love Kat
Go to Top of Page

blanket of stars
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kat
Hancock NH
51 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  5:20:21 PM  Show Profile
PS/ I use body wash alot - does that fall into the same catagory as soapmaking or is it basically just mix-and-pour?
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2005 :  7:30:27 PM  Show Profile
We just started soap making and Millersoap.com is wonderful. It has every bit of info you need and has lots of recipes as well.

Good Luck and Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  1:33:50 PM  Show Profile
Ditto Missy about
http://millersoap.com/
Kathy Miller's site is where I started reading and learning.
I buy lye at the grocery store and olive oil or lard there too, or at a discount store.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  9:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can make home made body wash that is not melt and pour but you use a different type of lye than you do when making bar soap.
Go to Top of Page

amystew
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Amy
Eureka CA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  9:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Has anybody ever used eggs (whites or yolks or both) in soap or any other skin product? If you can add honey or milk to soap, I wonder what eggs would do. Of course, I'm happy to eat or give away all the eggs my hens lay, but I got to thinking...

Gardener, chicken lover, worm wrangler

http://humboldthens.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Make It Easy: Previous Topic Soap Making Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page