shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  11:00:48 PM  Show Profile
DH and I are getting ready to order our manufactured home for new place in the country in the few few months (God willing) and we have had some pretty good discussions on what the colors should be. I wanted barn red and he wanted hunter green and naturally each of us were opposed to the others choice . I thought their version of hunter green looked more like a teal color which I dont like at all. DH thinks that the red might be too dark of a color. So we were at a stand still for awhile on color choices.

Anyhow I think that we have decided to go a completely different way and have agreed on an off-white color with two shades of gray for the trim. It just happens to be the color of the one on the lot. We both really liked it and it looks pretty classy I guess.

This got me to thinking about what colors everyone else has on their houses.

Shelle

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  01:09:34 AM  Show Profile
Well...we just bought our house in June and haven't gotten to painting the outside yet.
It is pale yellow with lime green and lavender trim....
It looks like the Easter bunny puked! LOL
We have some details and great carved posts on our porch so I'm REALLY looking forward to painting it nice when the weather gets better.

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  02:25:19 AM  Show Profile
Just plain old white w/green shutters and doors!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  05:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
We used a light gray siding on our farmhouse and white trim. At different times of the day, in different light, the gray will look nearly white. And on cloudy days, the gray looks darker. We have a green metal roof(I almost wish I had chosen barn red for the roof).

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:03:55 AM  Show Profile
Our house is light gray with white trim also! Great minds think alike. :)

Karin
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:14:50 AM  Show Profile
We have a medium-light terracotta-colored brick ranch house; door and trim are deep hunter green with lots of blue in it. Love it!

Go to Top of Page

momto6
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Valerie
Goltry OK
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  06:57:39 AM  Show Profile
We live in a manufactured home and really like it. Ours is tan with white trim. If we ever side it, I think I will either use the tan or blue permanent siding with white trim. I gotta admit, that barn red sounds lovely. I don't think I've ever seen one that color in Oklahoma!

Val
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  09:49:14 AM  Show Profile
I have "gobi dessert" trim (a beige color) with all doors on my house being done in a color called "red fox" very easy to remember if you say "the red fox lives in the gobi dessert"..ha on a ranch style brick home.
colors are easily found at your local home depot paint dept.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:16:39 AM  Show Profile
My house is a buttery yellow with crisp white trim and the shutters and doors were painted and medium blue green. After living with it for a year and a half, I painted the doors and shutters Rittenhouse Red from Old Village. I love it and so must people driving by because we get notes in the mailbox asking what is that "unusual color " red paint?!!! I loved the blue green color but we sit back from the road a bit and it just didn't "pop". The red has livened it up, and I have dk.green porch rockers on the front porch.

Shelle- White is about as neutral as you can get, atleast that leaves you open to change trim/shutter colors when you like. Remember that dark colors hold the heat more,so...that might not be what you were looking for anyway! Unless you're in Alaska like Jo!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

crittermama
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Jerri-Ann
Conway Arkansas
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  11:48:01 AM  Show Profile
Our house is rock with the larger wooden areas in a lichen green & darker shade of that for trim with deep red doors. But we just painted our garden shed turquoise with adobe red trim ,& the barn & house will be adobe red trimmed in turquoise. The doors will be a saffron yellow. I was just ready for a colorful change! Can't wait for it to warm up so we can get on with it!

It is a rule of nature that taking a day off on the farm sets a person back at least a week.
Jane Hamilton
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  12:28:33 PM  Show Profile
We're sitting in a classic Arts & Crafts tan stucco with maroon trim and roof and big oak door. We have a sun room that jets out front like an oversized bay window...I would just LOVE to build a whole front porch around it!

Fun to picture where you all live!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  2:50:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Shelle- White is about as neutral as you can get, atleast that leaves you open to change trim/shutter colors when you like. Remember that dark colors hold the heat more,so...that might not be what you were looking for anyway! Unless you're in Alaska like Jo!

Jo,
That is the exactly the reason hubby and I decided on the lighter colors because of the heat and the neutralness of the color combination. I really loved the barn red house though. I guess it is better to just be practical sometimes.

Our current house is a terra-cotta colored brick with dark brown accents and a light country blue trim on the eaves. It is 1700 sq feet. The new house will have 2600 sq feet which is funny because we were going to down size but we just kept coming back and looking at the bigger house because it had everything we wanted in it. Hubby said it is the last house that we will ever own so we might as well get the one that we really want. So now we will have this huge house with no one but us living there. But if my parents (his are deceased) need to come live with us in the future then we will have more than enough room for them. I just hate that we have to heat and cool that huge house though.

Shelle
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2007 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile
I just love reading about all of your house colors and styles - it IS fun to imagine all of the places we live! My 1870's farmhouse is a light tan/taupe with red trim with french blue accents and a slate-colored roof. It's pretty neutral - however, pretty soon it's going to need to be repainted, and I'll probably change the trim to charcoal gray. I just love for the actual "house" to look solid and plain, and for the colors to come from the plants and fields and other surroundings. That said - my friend has this wonderfully colorful house with red and light blue and deep plum and pale yellow and it's just stunning - I love it, too!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  1:44:32 PM  Show Profile
Shelle~
It is so hard to choose, I really struggled with all the wonderful colors out there. I had to take into consideration our roof shingles, white with speckle gray. I like the warmer colors but because our roof is cool, I needed to choose a cool body color. Anyway, I wish you the best. I blogged about it here.....
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/2006/11/painted-house.html

Farmgirl Blessings,
Theresa
http://theresaslavenderbox.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  08:47:38 AM  Show Profile
My house has tan siding and rich brown shutters and porch posts. I'm planning to paint the front door a deep rust color this Spring to bring in a little more color.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  3:51:27 PM  Show Profile
We have a pale buttery yellow house with white trim and forest green shutters and door. I picked those colors after a farm house in NY that I have lusted after since I was a young girl.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile
ours is light peach with dark peach trim..and very very badly in need of painting! I want to paint it white with dark green trim..we will see.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic house colors Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page