Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 World's Easiest Whole Wheat Brown Bread!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic World's Easiest Whole Wheat Brown Bread! Next Topic
Page: of 2

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  6:47:15 PM  Show Profile
All you need is a 1/2 cup measuring cup, a 1 tsp, and a bowl, and a loaf pan! And something to stir with!!!

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup oil (I use olive)
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses

In large bowl combine all ingredients, beat until well moistened(i use a fork! )Pour into greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 40-50 mins.

Best of luck! I will make this stuff all the time now that I know how easy it is.

This bread is great warmed with butter or cream cheese!!

From my kitchen to yours,
Cristine :)

Love is to the heart what summer is to the farmer's year. It brings to harvest all the lovliest flowers of the soul. --Billy Graham

Edited by - MsCwick on Jan 16 2007 6:47:51 PM

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  10:04:51 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I thought the no knead bread was going to be easy, but I think this takes the prize. I could even do this on a night after work & save the more involved ones for the weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

I'm such a recipe collector. Just have to start making some of them & weeding out the ones I thought I would like but didn't turn out as I thought they would. I have 2 3-ring binders full, not including cookbooks, saved email recipes, or the recipes in my favorites. Sounds more like an addiction than a collection

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  12:21:42 PM  Show Profile
In the time to preheat the oven, the batter is mixed, and in it goes. It's like a 5 minute prep time, so I made two loaves before I went to bed and I mixed the batter on a commercial break!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  1:10:39 PM  Show Profile
I love brown bread! This recipe sounds easier than mine. I will have to try it this weekend!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  4:00:41 PM  Show Profile
Cristine!
I'll have to eat up my no-knead and give this a try
Thanks
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  8:15:14 PM  Show Profile
I made your bread today!! It looks so yummy. I'd post a picture if I could figure out how. Still new to all that. Anyway it is cooling now. You were right when you said it is the easist ever. Took me about 5 minutes to mix it up & get it in the oven. I sprinkled some oatmeal on the top. It looks & smells great!

Thanks for the recipe. Will let you know how we like it when we taste it!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  8:46:12 PM  Show Profile
Ok Kelly! Where is some bread for your wonderful little sister? Show me some loaf! YUM! Please tell me how it turns out, because I will for now on be making my own bread.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  8:48:06 PM  Show Profile
PS- I am going down to buy some whole wheat flour from the mennonite bakery this week. I believe it is all made and packaged by them too.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  9:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Jaime, You will have to come here & get the wonderful wheat bread!

It is yummy too! I had a slice with nothing on it & it is very good. Moist too! I will be making this bread a lot! No more getting the stuff from the store. I think my kids will like this a lot better than store bought wheat as well.

Thanks again for the recipe!

Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  9:48:01 PM  Show Profile
Well store bought wheat bread isnt good for you anyway unless it is bought from a health food store. Any wheat bread that says Enriched wheat flour is not good. Its been stripped of all its nutrients, and then enriched with stuff to make it better. So I will be making my own bread too. Wish I had done it sooner. I am glad it is good. I will make some this week.

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Yes your youngest niece tried some & she really likes it too! She is the one who hates wheat bread the most.

I know store bought isn't good, but usually don't have time to make my own. At least I didnt before this recipe. I usually buy the Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse one. It has all natural ingredients, whole wheat, & raisin juice in it instead of high fructose corn syrup which is so bad for you & found in so many things. That is the closest I could find to homemade. So many of the others have junk in them. Have fun making it. i tell you, you will be surprised how easy it is. I still am.

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:16:14 PM  Show Profile
shared the recipe with my mom in law, she really liked it. thanks. I'll have to try it soon too.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2007 :  10:41:10 PM  Show Profile
Well the kind I found in the stores that was the best was Sara Lee Heart Healthy wheat bread. It was the only one that didnt have Enriched wheat flour and it had no corn syrup or hugh fructose. But now with this recipe i wont need Sara Lee! Humph! I cant wait to make it!
By the way Kel, you are really catching up to me on the posts!

lilpunkin

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  11:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for this recipe...I am going to try some today. Do you need a large loaf pan, like for sandwich size? I guess I will see when I get the dough made!

Ephesians 1:17
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  12:22:40 PM  Show Profile
i just used a regular sized loaf pan. same as i use for meatloaf.

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  2:35:33 PM  Show Profile
I just made some No-Knead bread this weekend and now will try yours. Sounds like something I can make after work and eat it with dinner. Getting a bread machine may not be necessary after all! Thank you!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  3:34:30 PM  Show Profile
I tried the recipe yesterday. Very easy and quite good. Thanks for posting it. A little sweet though. Do you suppose it would alter much if I left out the molasses?
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2007 :  6:16:46 PM  Show Profile
I think if you left out the molasses, you could substitute just 1/8 cup sugar maybe? You'd have to experiment though.

This recipe came from a great cookbook I picked up at the farm supply store called Retro Baking.
This was the first recipe I tried, although there are many many more that are this simple and look delicious.

You can find this cookbook and more at collectorspress.com The baking one is part of a series.The others are desserts and cookery.

I was so shocked to see this recipe got a second page of responses! It's so healthy for you and SO EASY!!! I made several loaves and gave them away and everyone is just begging for more!

Love,
Cristine
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2007 :  3:21:37 PM  Show Profile
it is moister than other breads I have tried, but it turned out nicely. my kids liked it with cream cheese on it for breakfast.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  04:52:22 AM  Show Profile
I too had to try this one out, and it was a hit! So easy and moist, plus with the molassas and olive oil, its good for you too, in limits! I added oats on top for extra fiber. Thanks and keep these easy recipes coming! Loved it!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

momof2jrt
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Denise
grafton wv
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  4:04:16 PM  Show Profile
This was great...I made it and oh my it was yummy....thanks
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  6:10:46 PM  Show Profile
Since I have read a couple of posting from Lilpukin, I guess I do not need to do any adjustments to this bread for us High Altitude farmgirls? Let me know if there is - I can not wait to try this bread. It is great for the kids in the kitchen because it gives them extra warmth. Remember only three more days left before we will be picking their names. I also have new pictures and info from them posted today on my blogspot.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  6:59:11 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I just made bread yesterday and made no adjustments to the recipe for high altitude. i always find when adjustments are made things dont turn out quite the same. So I just bake away and everything turn out just fine.

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

fairview tx
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2007 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile
hi cristine - just made a loaf of this bread today for supper - it's cooling on the counter and I hope there will be some left by the time supper rolls around! Thanks for posting - great recipe and so quick and easy. sandi
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  07:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
Hello,
Do you think I could sub in Rye flour for wheat? My DH loves rye bread.

3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2007 :  10:26:55 AM  Show Profile
I dont see why not. There are no levening products in the whole wheat or the rye for that matter. The way that is rises and becomes fluffy comes from the all purpose and soda and powder. What's the worst that could happen? It it's a little too gooey, just take out some molasses. I kinda liked it because I could just break off a chunk and pick at it. It doesnt necessarily have to be like sandwhich slices.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic World's Easiest Whole Wheat Brown Bread! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page