CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  12:33:45 PM  Show Profile
So my sister and I are finally (FINALLY) going to get away, just the two of us. We've been planning this for two years now!!! I am so excited! So we're going to..... Long Beach, WA in January!!! I know it will be cold, but I'm so excited.

Because we will be in a little cottage of our own and making all of our meals, I need meal suggestions. Any ideas??

Thanks!!!

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  12:46:29 PM  Show Profile
Clam chowder, crusty french bread, good bottle of wine

Seaside bake - clams, oysters, shrimp, (any kind of seafood), corn on cob, sausage links, potatoes (all layered in a deep pot and steamed.)Season with Old Bay seasoning and lots of butter.

crab cakes or seafood quiche for breakfast, served with bacon and slices of fresh melon and chilled grapes

shrimp scampi over pasta (fettuccini), garlic bread and salad

tuna salad (skip the mayo, just use lemon pepper and olive oil) on green leaf lettuce with sliced tomatoes, served with a mixed fruit salad and tiny whole wheat rolls

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jan 16 2007 12:47:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  1:13:08 PM  Show Profile
I always think lasagna is a good meal! You could make it in a smaller dish so you won't be eating it every day of the trip.

How long will you be gone?? Sounds like you will have fun! Some sister bonding time. My sis & me have talked about doing this. I would love to go on a MJ Farm stay! We haven't decided where yet... maybe to see family in NY, but hopefully it won't take us too long to actually do it! Either that or I may have to go visit her in CO.

Let us know how your trip goes!

"Work as if you were to live a hundred years, pray as if you were to die tomorrow." ~Benjamin Franklin~
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  1:19:27 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas Erin and Kelly!! Now I'm hungry...

I will be gone for a weekend. I really love her, but I think if we spent more time together than that ... it might not be all that wonderful... We are deffinetly sisters. :)

I wouldn't recommend seeing family if you and your sister are getting away. Go and do something fun and enjoy each other's company. Veronica and I see each other all the time at family functions, but we never get to spend time with just the two of us. So this will be perfect.

I'll deffinetly up date you on the trip!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  7:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Theresa - that sounds so wonderful!!! What about a quick and easy oven shrimp scampi - take an oven-proof casserole and preheat it on the broiler setting in the oven - high - for about 5 minutes. Have all of the shrimp (large, uncooked and peeled) ready before you do this, then mix 4-5 Tbs. olive oil, a little fresh garlic, 1 Tbs. dry sherry, 1 Tbs. lemon juice, 1 tsp. paprika and a few little hot pepper flakes if you like it a bit spicy in a bowl - just whisk it together and pour it inot the hot dish, then add the shrimp. Broil for 2-3 minutes and then turn the shrimp over and broil for another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot with some crusty bread for dipping. I just LOVE this - it's quick, easy and SO yummy! Then maybe for the other night(s) you could make a bit pot of clam chowder and a spinach salad... That sounds like so much fun!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  7:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Long Beach, WA is a nice place!
I haven't been there for 10 years, but there was a great bakery that we visited that was right downtown...yummy!

I have a recipe for coconut shrimp cakes that's so good, but it's not super simple...
E-mail me if you want it.

How about making crepes and filling them with crab salad or something delicious like that.
Now I'm starving!
Enjoy your trip!
Faith

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2007 :  8:14:27 PM  Show Profile
This whole topic is making me hungry, and making me homesick. I grew up on the Chesapeake Bay in Virginia and had relatives who vacationed on Martha's Vineyard. Some of my best memories involve seafood recipes!!!

I also worked in a seafood restaurant and always had to eat something there before I came home!

Another suggestion - seafood poorboys (breaded seafood, any kind) served on a crusty roll with cocktail sauce... Yummy!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Edited by - Bluewrenn on Jan 16 2007 8:16:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

CutiePatootieFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

75 Posts

Tess
Vancouver WA
USA
75 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  08:53:02 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Libbie, Erin and Faith! I keep thinking of all of these delicious recipes and get so excited! I think I'm going to use a lot of these for home too. I'm just learning how to cook and not very good at it yet. They sound so yummy!!!
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  1:55:31 PM  Show Profile
We love just putting a fish fillet(any light fresh fish) in a alumminum foil packet with a pat of butter and some fresh herbs in a 350 oven. They don't take long at all to cook. They are done when flake easily with a fork. I serve with a nice tossed salad in the summer or a baked potatoe and broccoli in the winter.
Have fun!
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams

Edited by - LadyCrystal on Jan 17 2007 1:56:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2007 :  3:24:37 PM  Show Profile
Theresa,
if your cooking in a cottage use your local ingrients like fish, clams, scallops etc. for things like chowder, white or red. Make great salads, they all dont have to be lettuce. I havent been to the west coast, I live on the east coast just a few miles from the ocean but there are tons of great quick & easy recipes for fresh seafood. Get a nice crusty loaf of bread, some local cheese & have fun. Sounds like a great w/end. Oh yeah, walking on the beach in winter is WONDERFUL, just dress warm & take it all in. Have a great time.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sea Side Menu Ideas?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page