Page: of 2

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  6:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
As I have gotten older, it seems like "society" think I need more to "stay" current or young. I don't get this and I find it quite overwhelming at times. Listen, I ain't 25 but I am darn cute and perky and I have nice skin. SO I up and quit the beauty industry standards as of January 1st. What does this mean?

I left out 1 mascara, some blush, lip balm and my favorite eye palette and lip gloss. I am not even using primer or foundation or even BB/CC cream. I even gave up..DUM DUM DUMMMMMMM Concealer!!! WOOT WOOT!! I don't wear all of this everyday but the rest is now all stored in a pretty box in a cool, dry, light prohibiting part of my closet. To be continued on that at a later dat....

Hair- this is my crux. I started coloring my hair again about a year ago and now...dum dum DUMMMMMMM...I am giving it up and going natural AGAIN but this time, I am much more confident. I have been using extra conditioning hair mask once a week and it helps keep my silver and white lovely.

I am tired of being told that I look old with silver hair, that my wrinkles DO matter- from a vain point of view, that I have to have a gallon of make up on to HIDE my age- not from a I enjoy wearing it or applying point of view...

I am tired of being told I need all these acids and scrubs to make me younger or youthful. Why would I want to burn my skin off in the name of trying to fit into what society wants?!?

I also gave away all of my dressy/fancy clothes except 1 dress and 1 pair of kitten heels. I bought myself some "Hippy" (I guess boho is the right world now) jeans at Target for $8- they have a let down hem and it's all frayed and wide and I love them!! I may go back and get a second pair. I wore them today with flip flops (it's been in the 70's here) and a loose t shirt. I pinned my hair away from my face with a short "bang" braid and some bobby pins. I felt so free and pretty!!!

So declare with me I QUIT THE BEAUTY INDUSTRY!! I AM BEAUTIFUL JUST AS I AM!!!!

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3933 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3933 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  8:25:41 PM  Show Profile
Yes! We all are beautiful as we are now. Thank you for joining the REVOLUTION!

Marie, Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.

Edited by - churunga on Jan 13 2017 8:26:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1029 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1029 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2017 :  10:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Way to go Heather. Or should we call you Feather you hippie girl. I stopped coloring my hair a few years ago because you could see the layers between each dye. I was striped. Cut my hair to a shorter length and kept cutting out the dye hair over the next few years. I have lighter brown hair naturally. Was dyeing it blonde. Last few years I been hosting some lovely silver streaks. I earned these and flaunt them proudly. I survived many near almost fatal accidents (hence Tumbleweed). I too wear little to none make up. I think we gals in our age group are comfortable with ourselves. We define who we are and who we want to be. And one last thing I want to buy the world a coke and keep it company. :)

TW

The fun begins where the pavement ends!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  06:00:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm right with you Feather! I allowed my natural "silver" highlights take over 4 years ago and haven't looked back. The funny thing is I get more compliments on my hair now then when it was blonde. I'm 56 and using less makeup then when I was under 50. For some odd reason I look better without concealer and eye shadow. The best beauty aide I've found is drinking lots of water every day plus a glass with a tablespoon of ACV in it. I use face and eye cream to keep my skin from getting dry, especially in the winter and that's it!

Feel good about yourself and your inner beauty will flow through for all to see & enjoy! Be happy!
Dawn in IL

"Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great, that somehow we need to make it great again" Michelle Obama
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  06:48:20 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
OMG FEATHER!!! Do you know that is what my friends called me when I was little? I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

I just got really angry at a woman we were in a group with. All she talked about was being youthful and ALL women need botox and hair color and blah blah blah. She was SOOOO miserable with HERSELF she was making me miserable. I had to get up and leave.

We are sold a bucket of bs, starting when we are little. I know mine was enforced by a Mother who expected girls to be girly, no matter what. Imagine her disappointment in her dirty loving, bare foot, bun wearing daughter.

I have never understood competition between women, especially when it came to finding a man or having to put on a face for society.

I understand having things "done" because of medical necessity, but now that I am in my 40's, I have friends who are really messing with their faces too much. It does not look natural or youthful. It looks like they messed with their faces. Sorry- I call it like I see it. I do have a friend who gets Botox for migraines and it works and the added benefit is a smoother forehead. I have another who had her eyes done because they were so hooded at 54, she could not see properly. Those things I get.

Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  07:32:05 AM  Show Profile
I am beautiful just as I am!
I have not used beauty products for years, I did try a BB cream but ended up giving it away.
I use Dove bath soap, baking soda shampoo, ACV hair rinse. DIY Earthpaste toothpaste.
I use coconut oil for a eye cream/ moisturizer. I use Burts Bees tinted lip balm or lipstick. I have a total of three tubes.

That's all :)

My guilty pleasure is my acrylic nails, I have horrible weak nails and I get tired of looking at my hands and feeling like they look like "man hands".
I have tried every home remedy and polish and treatment and my nails just will not be strong and pretty, as soon as they get any length they tear right off. So this is my gift to me to have pretty girly nails. Plus I have to look at my hands all the time, typing and stitching and they make me happy. I also get to support a longtime friends small business.

Funny story....I went on a week trip for work. I packed everything I need for the trip in one normal sized backpak, including my laptop. The gal that traveled with me, about fell over when we met at the airport. She stated I couldn't even get my hair care and toiletries in that!
The only thing I was worried about was that my little jar of baking soda might get me stip searched for drugs!! :O

Bridge
Farmgirl Sister #7277
Put your lipstick on & be Happy!
http://stitchthrifty.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  07:56:03 AM  Show Profile
I'm in my 30s... and have some natural makeup... that sits in a container and gets used about once a year. My hair is turning gray and white... and I'm okay with it! My mom asked me about dying it... and I realized then that the only reason I would, would be for my own vanity. The only thing I'd like to work on and change is my weight, as I am more shaped like a 50 gallon drum than anything, but that is partially for health reasons and partially vanity. This huge body of mine has birthed seven children! 4 naturally and three via cesareans. My nails are square shaped, so I keep them short. I'll never be described as attractive or beautiful, but I try to have a big heart and giving spirit.

~ Shannon, Sister # 5349
Farmgirl of the Month - January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  1:10:34 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Bridge- I can see you at the airport- little backpack and your bottle of "white" powder...LOL

Ya know, I am not vain but I think I am prettier more natural. I do like my mascara and lipgloss, but it's so light ,no one ever thinks I have it on. Nails- I paint 'em pinky natural and let them go!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  3:34:46 PM  Show Profile
Yep.... apple cider vinegar for the inside and coconut oil for the outside...
here is my 2cents worth... if it is healthy and good enough to go into my body... then it is healthy enough to go on the outside of my body..
yogurt, oatmeal , olive oil... you get the idea.

Like so many of you, I too belonged to the "Hair dye club of the month "...lol! In the course of 20 years I dyed my hair (every shade of) Red... yes, every shade... the standing joke around our house was... buy stock in Lady Clairol, i'd make you rich!...
Here it is, almost 10 years since I last dyed my hair... well except for a couple of relapses ... but I love my blond/silver/white hair...and love that I am not infusing my scalp with horrible toxic chemicals in the name of beauty or fashion .... tho' every once in a blue moon... I toy with the idea of going "Lucy Red" again! Lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  3:48:27 PM  Show Profile
I haven't used makeup since I was a teenager. Never got the hang of it. I tried coloring my hair a couple of times, but my kids worked so hard to give these gray hairs to me and I am proud of each of them. I do use conditioner on my hair because it is long and tangles easily. I'm not beautiful on the outside but I am on the inside and that's all that counts.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  4:39:52 PM  Show Profile
Nora, Yes You Are Beautiful..... all women are beautiful both inside and out....
Never let Society or Cosmetic companies dictate to you/us what beauty is.
And as for the grey hair... I tell both my hubby and daughter, no frofro Salon could create such fabulous color at any price!
Heeheehee...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2017 :  5:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I like the word "quirky" and I am going to live up to that!!!

Being a teacher now, I can get away with being "eccentric" a bit because they chalk it up to being creative..and I love that!!

Maybe I need a feather for my hair?!? :)

Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  08:13:21 AM  Show Profile
Tomorrow I'm off to the hair salon to have my many dyed colours stripped off my hair and to let the gray/black do it's own thing. My hairdresser will be dying it the gray/black but then from that point on it will grow out naturally. My hair is medium long and I have been leaving it alone for about six months so have about 2 inches of black/gray roots and a mix of brown and blond. I am so excited. I also don't wear a lot of makeup and never really have. Getting older is part of life and I don't want to be 50 something trying to pretend I'm 30 something because the so called "beauty" industry says we should. My mom was 90 when she passed away August 2016 and had gorgeous skin and she used Noxcema all her life and very little make up.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  10:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Ingrid!! I am so proud of you!! Sound beautiful!

I will say this. Supposedly, my hairdresser uses quality, hair friendly products, from color to shampoo/conditioner and whatever leave in product she uses. I have noticed my hair is not as thick as it was naturally and it looks dried out, even with the moisturizing shampoos and conditioners and products. YUCK!

So as of today, we start fresh.

Go to Top of Page

firecatinc
True Blue Farmgirl

1252 Posts

Lenora
Fulks Run VA
USA
1252 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2017 :  12:36:48 PM  Show Profile
Like that Grace.

Nora
Farmgirl Sister #7131
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2017
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2017 :  8:33:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm on board! I have never been a huge fan of makeup. I no longer wear any and I'm 27. If I go out in public I will put on mascara but that is it. I think the last time I wore lipstick or base makeup was my wedding! I haven't given up coloring my hair though because I love changing my look for myself!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  09:23:32 AM  Show Profile
I too am on board. I have never been a huge fan of makeup. In my youth I used mascara and eye shadow. In my 20's I got rid of the eye shadow and used a bit of natural colour lipsticks (dry lips). Now in my 50's I rarely use mascara ...

And I have canceled my membership of the "hair dye club of the month" as of May 2016. I love the new colour and how my hair feels. It is no longer dry and brittle. I call it "letting my wisdom shine" lol

Beauty comes from within and no amount of cosmetic will make you beautiful ... the inside comes to the surface ... I love what Michael Bernard Beckwith says "you have no secrets, it all shows up as your life"

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile
When I decided to free myself from hair color, my hair was cut very very short, so nobody even seemed to notice that it was growing out. A couple of people asked if I was having my hair frosted/highlighted -- I said yes, Mom Nature did it. I wash my face morning and evening, and I use moisturizer with sunscreen. In the wintertime I use a CC cream as well, because my face gets so dry being out in the cold. Coconut oil is the BEST body moisturizer I have encountered, and it is CHEAP, too!

I have worn bangs for years, mostly because my mother always said I had to. (Your forehead is too high, your hair is too straight, fine, limp.....blah blah blah) So the other evening I came home from a very trying day at work, pulled my hair back with a headband so I could wash my face and wash the day away. I didn't bother to take the headband off afterward -- just wore my hair back all evening. A few days later, Dude says "I really liked when you wore your hair all pulled back the other day -- would you be wearing it like that again? I like seeing more of your pretty face." YOU BET! The easiest thing in the world, Sir! So now I am even free from dealing with my bangs!!!!

Eat healthy food. Drink clean water. Keep your body clean. Get plenty of rest and plenty of exercise. VOILA! That is natural beauty, and you can't buy it.

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  10:55:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh Heather you Go Girl...as you can see many of us already gave up on the whole "You Must Look 20 years younger" to be beautiful thing a long
time ago!!! My first step was my Hair Coloring. About 10 years ago I decided I was not going to put Henna Red in my hair any more. I had Natural
Red Hair but in my Mid-30's I started getting a lot of gray in my hair. So, I started using two types of Henna to get my Natural Color back. I
loved my hair color and swore I would be 90 and still coloring it (Like Lucille Ball) but then in my 50's I came down with Fibro and it got
harder and harder to keep putting Henna in. Too hard to hold my arms up that long...even though I invented a new way to apply it. So, one day
I used a product my son was selling that stripped all the color from my hair and wa-la...in 15 minutes I went from a Vibrant Red Head to an Old
Gray Mare. BUT my Gray hair has all kinds of natural highlights in it. And I have had Women with salt & pepper gray and beautiful white hair
come up to me and ask me if I colored my hair this color. And they say, "Wow...I wish my gray looked like yours"...I think they are a little
Nuts as I like there's so much better...but isn't that Life? I don't care if women want to look younger or what-ever...I just know for myself
that I found FREEDOM in letting my hair go natural and I am all gray. I can do my make-up and my hair in 10 minutes or less and be ready to
go anywhere. My make up is just BB Cream, blush, my eyebrows and lipstick. And somedays even doing my face at all...is just a waste of good
make-up sooo I go all natural. I put a little bit of Clear 100% Aloa Vera Gel on My Face to keep it from getting dried out and that is it.

Three Cheers for The ALL NATURAL REVOLUTION!!!

Hugs and Smiles,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
Dec 2011-Farmgirl of the Month
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

Don't allow others to steal the Glitz from your *SPARKLE*

Life is too short to knit with ugly yarn!

Leave Your Cares Behind...Join Us On The Porch
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  12:44:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I rarely if ever put on make up. I keep it around for those times when I want to get dolled up for a special occasion. My office assistant who is 20 years older than me wears full on make up every day. She looks nice and she struggles with body image issues (pretty severe) so I'm glad she enjoys her routine. But just hearing out how much time she puts into flat ironing her hair every day (when she has awesome curls!!) and the make up etc- no thanks! I wear my hair the same almost every day. Sometimes for a change I might do a 10 minute flat iron so I can wear my hair down instead of up. Last time I was in my make up box was when I was on a business trip with my boss and I had to throw away several things that were all dried up and worthless anyway!

Wait- I take it back. I got my make up out on Halloween to do Nora's make up. She was a cracked doll!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  12:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That was the last time I used my make up- Nora's halloween costume that she thought up by herself... A cracked China Doll!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Carole
New York
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  12:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Alee, love the idea! Great costume!

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com
http://www.fibrejunction.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2017 :  1:13:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks! She came up with it all on her own! And the dress was calf length which was great! She had to wear a shirt under it because it was so cold out and the arm holes are a bit small for her, but I can alter that. I hope she wears it again but it was a good price on amazon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

Marilyn Hartman Sullivan
True Blue Farmgirl

1138 Posts

Marilyn
Oxford PA
USA
1138 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  07:27:34 AM  Show Profile
Interesting this happened today -- just after reading this board yesterday. I had a dental appointment this morning and the front desk gal kept looking and looking at my hair. She is a very pretty lady in probably ? her early 50s???? Just guessing. But she has a beautiful thick head of dark shiny hair. I know she colors it, because she has mentioned it to me before, but it looks nice all the time and she has a very sweet disposition with a smile to match, so anything would look great on her. Anyway, she said the other desk person -- "If my hair would be that nice salt-n-pepper like Marilyn's, I would stop coloring it, but I think it would just be white." It is always a compliment when someone says they like your hair, but when it's your natural grey color, it sort of takes you aback a little. My grandmother had beautiful silky tinselly silvery white hair and I had hoped mine would be that color, but it's still a kind of dark grey. I should just wait and let nature take its course, because I suppose my hair may be like Grandma's someday. In the meantime, it's really nice to see that women are beginning to value something other than whatever the Kardashywhatsises are selling. We are beautiful as little tomboy girls. We are beautiful as awkward teenagers. We are beautiful as young wives and mothers. We are beautiful as mature strong women. And we are beautiful as older ladies with purple dresses and red hats. We are individually gorgeous and as a group -- well, you had just better watch out! We know a lot, we have lived a lot, we are strong and valuable and we get things done. Keep in mind, Ginger Rodgers did everything Fred Astaire did -- while going backwards and wearing high heels!!!

Farmgirl #6318
"Where there's a will -- there's probably a family fight."

Edited by - Marilyn Hartman Sullivan on Jan 18 2017 07:28:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  09:45:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great compliment Marilyn!

I started getting silver hairs when I was in high school, and they are accelerating now. I call them my sparkle hairs. In another ten years I will be fairly salt and pepper- heavy on the salt, but I haven't dyed my hair in two years and am going to keep the streak going.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2017 :  6:15:10 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I went au natural with my hair 7 years ago, it was strong, not frizzy and had great tones. I gave in a year ago, because I wanted some pink..and it then other colors. I think I am going to go cold turkey and just let it grow out, maybe take some hair stripping to the colored parts but then maybe just cut it all off and start over. It grows quick. I even oops upped and put a clear coat in my hair and all I could see was this band as it grew out of hair that was mine but the texture and tone changed. YUCK! I also like to use all natural products and they do work without the color on there. My hairdresser is such an awesome stylist and colorist, but I a done with the color. She will work with me, though probably thinks I am nuts. :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I quit the beauty industry Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page