Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic spice help Next Topic  

walrissa
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Larissa
Anchorage AK
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  1:19:49 PM  Show Profile
I have A LOT of spices, most of which were given to us by people moving out of state and limited amount of storage space so it is always hard to find what I actually need. How do I figure out what is still fresh and what should be tossed?
Thanks for your suggestions!

http://web.mac.com/lwrightelson/iWeb/Cormac%27s%20World/Welcome.html

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  1:43:26 PM  Show Profile
Most folks recommend keeping herbs and spices about six months. But I tend to go longer. Since what yields the unique flavor is an essential oil, I take the dried herb and crunch it between my palm and fingers, and use the sniff test. Older herbs still work just fine but since their scent is fading, I use a bit more. I just do it by smell and taste.

I've used things like organic basil leaves years after I grew them because I dried the leaves whole, and less of the oils are exposed to air for evaporation. I wouldn't try to make a pesto with them, but they do fine in soups.

I would toss those that obviously have a lot of age (no scent when opening the bottle, or when crushed) or anything with mold or off color.
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  2:00:06 PM  Show Profile
Penzeys recommends one year for herbs and ground spices, two years if they're whole. They are a wonderful company to buy from and I love their catalogs. www.penzeys.com If you should have any that are vintage cans or bottles, they have value as decoration. My daughter has all my mothers and MIL's except the few I chose to keep here. The sniff test, as Mary Ann said, is a good test. Good spices are a cooks best friend.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
the mountainside of the Chugach in Alaska
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  2:06:34 PM  Show Profile
There is a spice store down on Huffman and Old Seward that is awesome, have lots of teas and she has lots of whole spices. I do think they keep alot bettern and you can buy a small bit at a time. I grind it with a mortar and pedestal. Plus she's super nice!!! jo

north to alaska.....
Go to Top of Page

walrissa
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Larissa
Anchorage AK
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  2:15:16 PM  Show Profile
Good tips! I'll start going through things now b/c Cormac and Kevin are off watching football. It's snowing again so I guess it's time for spring cleaning! ;) Ick. I don't think I have anything with mold! I have a lot that I will never use though and probably most of it will get tossed today because it's likely all old. I think I'll keep track of what I toss so I don't go looking for something I think I have.
Jo- is it where Little Gym and Sushi Garden are? Or across the street by Kaladi Bros? Or further down O.S.? I can't picture it...
I will drive home that way one afternoon this week and take a peek. I have a feeling I will need a new, yet smaller, supply.

Go to Top of Page

walrissa
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Larissa
Anchorage AK
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  4:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Okay, I tossed more than half. Ah, it feels good!

Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  4:49:33 PM  Show Profile
It's called Summit Seasonings, yep right in by Little Gym and Sushi Garden! We've just gotten in from skiing up at the top of O'Malley trailhead, it was wonderful. I'm pooped!! jo

north to alaska.....
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  4:50:58 PM  Show Profile
Larissa, I have some organic oregano if you would like some, it's from a program called sustainable resources, the natives pick it it's unbelievable and I need to share it soon, I have some for others if you'd like! jo

north to alaska.....
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  5:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Jo, I'd love to have some if you have enough to share. Oregano gets used a lot here, for Italian and Mexican dishes.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

jo Thompson
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jo
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile
I would be very happy to send some off to you Ronna! It's wonderful stuff! jo

north to alaska.....
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Great, thanks. If you don't have my address, it will be on the book package that should be at your house really soon. See, we did barter after all!!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

walrissa
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Larissa
Anchorage AK
30 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2007 :  5:12:14 PM  Show Profile
I'd love some. Okay, that name sounds familiar. I must have seen the sign from the road. I usually head home down O'Malley and when I head to school I go O'Malley to N.S. to Huffman but every once in a while I go down Old Seward. Especially if I go to Carrs in the morning or we've had breakfast at Judy's Cafe! That was long-winded...

My "boys" are still out watching the end of the Patriots game and I cleaned out lots of stuff from the bedroom. One huge leaf bag of clothes to donate. Now I have to find someplace to store all of my maternity clothes until baby #2.

We love snowshoeing "up" there. Our dog breeder lives up there too. Were you at Prospect Heights?

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic spice help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page