Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  10:31:43 AM  Show Profile
I guess Friday is the day to go to the thrift store, I had to tear myself away from there. Got so many cute things, The dishwasher is running now as is the washing machine getting everything clean. Well not the paper goods, or the paper dolls, but they were all wraped so will be fine without a bath. So take a look on my blog if you want to see where my spending money went this week.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  10:36:59 AM  Show Profile
Wow Nancy, our thrift stores are certainly nothing like yours. What great finds! Gorgeous stuff.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  11:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Wow Nancy!! If only we had a good thrift store here!! I have to do some traveling to get to a good one. I am due to do that soon too!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  11:33:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow! You DO have an awesome shop! I finally made it into the nearest Goodwill Store last weekend. They had a very nice selection of clothes, but I don't buy clothes for myself much, will keep in mind for my kids. I really wanted to go for housewares and there was barely any. I bought a little cut out victorian angel for 20 cents!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

berries
True Blue Farmgirl

475 Posts

gloria g
Florida
USA
475 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  11:38:29 AM  Show Profile
We should just send our spending money to Nancy Jo, and she could shop for us too! Wow, what a find!!!!! So beautiful!

I'm with the others, I have never seen a thrift store with that many cool items!

farmgirl hugs, gloria g. Richards, TX

strawberry fields forever and ever!

www.strawberryhousequilting.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:44:51 PM  Show Profile
Holy Cow! Those paper dolls are amazing and the china to boot?!?! You are a thrifting goddess!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:46:15 PM  Show Profile
If you ladies ever thrift shopped in Reno, you'd think you were in heaven. Not enough space to list even a portion of the killer deals I've found over the years. I've shopped for others for years. My sister used to send me $$ to buy her clothes. I send designer silks and suits to a lady in Canada who sent me her Birkenstocks. My kids will tell me what they're looking for and I can usually find it in a week or less. This is why my house is so cluttered and my storage filled to the brim; all the good finds that are worth more than the price marked. There's an art to finding the good stuff, can't just make a quick walk through and think there's nothing to buy. From dollar wedding dresses to Gloria's $200 juicer for $50, I've found about anything. Even a stack of real silver dollars one day, which amazed me. The most spectacular antique christening dress and slip I have was on a $20 porcelain doll in one store-nice than the $400 ones on Ebay and paid $70. Recently bought a huge very vintage lavender and yellow yoyo quilt for $100 that would be $500 in an antique store or on eBay. Cindy Lee can back me up on my finds. Wanna come visit in Reno? Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  12:50:24 PM  Show Profile
wow! you have a cool thrift shop to haunt. what fun.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  1:47:24 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, Nancy, you have a cool thrift store. Do you call in and order stuff so when you go it will be there. We have nothing like that here or I just don't know where to go. We can enjoy your stuff and just save our pennies. MORE PICTURES PLEASE. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  1:57:13 PM  Show Profile
It was an extra good day thats for sure. Mary Beth you come see me and we will go. Just come on a Friday.
Ronna, sounds like all the rich people out there leave all their stuff there for you to buy. You have some pretty high end things that you have bought.
Hey Girls, did you see the Mary Iron on transfers for clothes? Who wants them????
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  2:51:00 PM  Show Profile
Gosh Nancy! Great day!! My friend and I hit a Goodwill on the north side of town and got some nice wool sweaters to felt. I love good thrift stire day.

Karin
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  3:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Nancy Jo is my hero.
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  3:53:08 PM  Show Profile
What a haul. Congratulations! I wish my thrift stores were as good.

Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  6:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Ronna's right, we do have great thrift shops in Reno and I hit several of them this week!!! Yep, I did manage to buy a few things!

Cindy
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2007 :  7:07:40 PM  Show Profile
Nancy I bow down at your feet... We have good thrift stores here too, but I haven't been getting there much since school started. Glass and household are still pretty easy to come by, but I NEVER see old paper at our shops (you lucky girl!)! I go to one little church shop that always has great sewing and crafting stuff. I think those are the best kind of shops. Our Goodwill tends leans towards nicer clothing & "Target" leftovers. It's kind of fussy for me. I like to rummage through big piles of things to see what might be long forgotten. Great, now I'm itching to go thrifting! Thanks Nancy!
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.
Go to Top of Page

horse
True Blue Farmgirl

371 Posts

laura
pontotoc mississippi
USA
371 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  06:01:04 AM  Show Profile
You done good, Nancy. Sure wished they had thrift stores like that where I lived. Only thing here is a antique store and the prices are way to high for this small town.
Laura
www.2lmzfarms.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  06:04:43 AM  Show Profile
I love thrift stores, vintage & flea markets. I can't remember the last time I went to a department store.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  09:43:36 AM  Show Profile
I agree wholeheartedly! Nance Jo lives near the best thrift store in the US, at least! Good job, Nancy Jo: Nance
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2007 :  5:08:52 PM  Show Profile
It is hard to go to a reg. store after going to a thrift store, they want real money and a lot of it. Sometimes you have to of course, shoes, underwear, pj's, but most stuff can be found at thrift stores. And if nothing else its just fun.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  5:21:49 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to piggy-back on Nancy Jo's post and tell you of my Super Thrift Store Day:

Went to Sisters Resale today (which supports retired nuns) and found many fun things: two old round tins -- one from Marshall Field's which no longer exists (sob); a cool 1970s plastic powder jar that I'll keep ribbons in. Also a 'snack set' in it's original box: rectangular glass plates with glass cups -- so cute -- circle designs on the plates! There's something about those old sets that I just love, and this is my second set in the last 4 months!

My best find: a large framed print of magnolia blossoms in a round pink vase. Very wonderful and old and delicate-looking. My husband just loves magnolias -- he kind of 'collects' magnolia trees -- so I knew he would love this as well. It's already hanging in the livingroom, giving us an early look at spring. Ahhhh!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Katie-ell, Would love to see a picture of that print you got.Where are you going to put it?
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  5:38:08 PM  Show Profile
Katie- Sounds like you have a great resale shop too! What nice things you found. It's always fun to find treasures when you aren't expecting them! Are magnolias hardy where you live? They can get zapped by frost just as they are blooming here, it happens about 50% of the time. I think of you as colder than us, am I right? I am bordering zone 5/6, most of the time we err on the side of caution and our Spring frost date is Mother's Day. This has gone from thrifting to gardening...oops! Does it count that I got two floral pillowcases (RL) still packaged, an embroidered tablecloth and a creamcolored dutchgirl planter for under $10.00 yesterday?! And I have been trying to be so good...now I have to get rid of some things I like less! That's the rule I am trying this year! We shall see...anyway, good for all of us. I am convinced that anything you may have ever thought you wanted to buy retail will eventually show up at a thrift store. Happy hunting girls!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

candismom
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Elizabeth

560 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  8:56:40 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy Jo,
I crown you the Queen of shopping. LOL I am decluttering and you are adding to your stash. LOL I love looking at your blog. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  9:12:29 PM  Show Profile
Love the thrifting too. Haven't done too much of it lately until I got hooked on hunting down the wool sweaters. Today, I found a blue velvet dress to fit one of my girls...which I will cut up when they are done with it and repurpose it into a gypsy skirt, then one silver plated chalice...very nice one and a pewter candlestick. Paid less than $4 for the three items. I'll try to snap a photo of them and place on my blog.
Katie-ell....your thrift store finds from today sound wonderful!! I go to the place called "The Thrifty Quaker"
My neighbor's highschool aged sone asked if he can go with me on my next thrifting rounds. She said he loves to shop thrift stores for his clothing. My son is the same way. He hasn't bought new in about 5 years and he always looks really nice and very up to date in his stylings!!

G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2007 :  9:16:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Nancy Jo -- The magnolia print is already on the wall in our livingroom, above the oak schoolmaster's desk. I didn't even have to move the nail -- just need to find a spot for the picture that was there.

Bramble -- Re: magnolias -- we are zone 5 here, and our saucer magnolias and star magnolias do sometimes get hit with frost. But there are other cultivars that bloom later and so don't get affected by frost -- we have 'Yellow Bird' and 'Gold Star', which are both yellow magnolias, and 'Susan', a pink. And some others, too, which I can't remember right now.

Love your finds, Bramble. I like your rule about 'out with the old' when you bring in the new finds!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic HUGE THRIFT STORE DAY! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page