True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2016 :  3:19:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

I am both pleased and yet very sheepish to say that the mattress set my husband and I share is now over 20 years old (closer to 25). We have taken very good care of it, and have had no problems with it whatsoever until last winter, when I woke up one morning barely able to move. Since then, it's been getting worse - I feel like my body is literally broken during the night and all day afterwards, so today I decided to bite the bullet and go mattress shopping.

Not fun.

Not fun. At all.

So, the first place we go, after we got over the sticker shock, we asked the salesperson to explain about the different mattresses... They've got so many newfangled things that I can't even remember them all. There are soft, medium and firm... Then some have soft pillow tops, gel foam pillow tops, no pillow tops, extra padding, memory foam... Others use mostly natural fibers and materials, but not quite completely. Some have fabric covered individual coils (some have more of these coils than others), some have metal wrapped and connected coils. Some are completely made of foam that you can literally walk on with your wine glass right next to you, and the wine won't spill and the mattress will spring right back into shape! The list goes on and on. All of them seem wonderful as you first lie down on them, and then suddenly you break into a sweat as you notice you're being watched not only by a somewhat impatient sales person, but also that the store cameras are all over you. And they all want you to lie there for anywhere between 6 and 15 minutes to be sure the mattress you are lying on is the right fit! Eghads. How embarrassing.

One salesperson started telling us horror stories of all the class action lawsuits against various mattress companies online. He said with one brand, in particular, they have a HUGE lawsuit because they kept finding mold growing in the mattresses! Eghads!

Then, apparently, because I'm "of a certain age," I should be THRILLED about the new gel technology. They say it will keep me cool on flashy nights and one person said it will make me so comfortable, I will find that there is less stress on my kidneys and bladder, so I'll be running to the bathroom a lot less in the middle of the night. (Talk about an ASSUMPTION! He was right, of course, but still...)

One guy tried to make me fully aware of the sales tactics of other unscrupulous mattress salespeople out there. I actually kind of appreciated his insight, until, that is, he started using some on me himself. Like pointing the fingers at others would distract me from seeing what he was doing. Good grief. Now I'm dealing with politicians! LOL!

And unless we specifically go to a store that custom makes mattresses for people, apparently we will be more than hard pressed to find a good mattress that can be maintained with regular flipping!

And don't even get me started about the warranty... One guy went on and on about how IF we WERE to ever need to have the mattress replaced during the warranty, they would have to come out and inspect our bed frame, our box spring (to make sure IT wasn't broken), and then, finally the mattress. He said the mattress would have to be spotless, with no stains from things like - are you ready for this? - blood, vomit, urine, your baby's juice, wine, body fluids (because, he said, AIDS is a concern), there can be no bedbugs, etc., etc. Eghads, I thought I was going to puke just thinking about all those things!

I could go on and on - OH could I go on and on - but you get the idea.

Needless to say, we didn't purchase a mattress yet, and I am feeling a little traumatized by the whole thing.

Here's the thing: All I want is a mattress that makes me feel like I'm being hugged by the angels - is that really too much to ask?

I would love not to have chemicals in them like formaldehyde and gel... The gel sounds great when they explain it to you, but I have a very vivid imagination and can picture the infused gel seeping out of the mattress during the night and then me waking up looking like someone from the Blue Man Group. Yikes.

I would love to go with the mostly natural fibers and materials, but I just can't afford it... I mean... $3000+ just for the mattress? Who am I? The Queen of England? Why does it cost so much more to use materials that can be processed from natural products over the stuff they have to concoct in the chemistry lab? Oy vey!

Anyhow, as broken as my body feels, I really can't wait much longer, and need to buy a new mattress. I would SO appreciate your help with this, girls. This is absolutely no fun!

Any suggestions? What brand, kind, type, style of mattress do you have? Why did you choose it? Any recommendations - or anything to recommend that I should keep in mind while shopping?

Thanks so much, girls. I really appreciate any insight you can offer!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13640 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13640 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  09:45:19 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Wish I could offer suggestions/recommendations, but I can't! Good luck on your hunt! We probably need to do the same thing.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2016 :  10:46:03 AM  Show Profile
Nini, we went through the same thing! Finally got a Sealy Posturpedic Mattress/FIRM
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9384 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9384 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2016 :  07:18:55 AM  Show Profile
My next one will be a sleep number. Recommended by my chiropractor. He bought one because...his wife has back problems. He recommended it to me right after I told him we had bought a new one. So, when the time comes. I have used one at my cousins while visiting and I have to say, I do get a great nights sleep there.

~Denise~
Farmgirl Sister #43

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
http://www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  09:29:30 AM  Show Profile
We have a Sleep Number that we have had for 20 years now and it is as good now as the day we bought it. Like it so much we put one in our guest room and everyone that has slept one it loves it too. They are pricey but then again we haven't had to replace it either.

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2016 :  5:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh Nini,,, I so get what you are feeling,,, when did 'mattress' shopping become as technical a buying a car? Yikes!
Sticker shock, models, this that and everything in between!
We ended up buying a Sealy-Serta pillow top medium firmness... 9 years later we are still ok,,, but we do turn our mattress about 2-3 times a year... and I have a 2" memory foam pad on the mattress....
I would much rather spend my money at the local fabric shop then the mattress shop! loL!
Sweet dreams ...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

3102 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
3102 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  12:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Nini,

My suggestion is to not get a pillow top. We got one, but you can't flip it. Now it's getting worn down in certain spots and if I rotated it it's really uncomfortable. I'm not looking forward to the day we get a new one. Best of luck to you :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month
http://nndairy.blogspot.com/

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2016 :  3:05:39 PM  Show Profile
Dear Nini,
I have been there done that. I am not a thrifty person by nature, but when it comes to bed, mattress, sofa's, overstuffed chairs, I become thrifty queen. I got the lesson in buying a new $2500.00 bed when I was a lot younger, we had it one year when we moved, and found you can't sell or give used mattress away, I guess that's why so many end up on the road side. The bed frame I managed to get #50.00 for. I decided from then on never buy from big named stores. We bought our next mattress, pillow top, from a discount store, it had water stain on side corner where plastic was torn. We had about 15 years, then this past spring I like you started looking and was stunned with the $$ for a mattress that I would need to replace in 8 to 10 years. Again I found a nice little discount store where I got a nice Sealy mattress for a whole lot less than at the name stores.
I do have to say that my new lesson is the box spring is just a box, no springs anymore, I guess they are actually no good on your back. So why do they still call it box spring? If I had known that I would have kept my old box spring. Live and learn. Hugs Karla
Go to Top of Page

Charlayne Knapp
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Charlayne
Okanogan Washington
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2016 :  6:43:58 PM  Show Profile
I remember the shock at the prices. For that price you want to be able to drive it around the block. We have a sleep number
that we have had for close to 20 years. It as good as the day we bought it. Worth every penny
Good Luck

Charlayne Knapp
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Mattress Recommendations? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page