Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Found someone! 70 Rolls Undeveloped 35mm film
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Found someone! 70 Rolls Undeveloped 35mm film Next Topic
Page: of 2

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2016 :  5:59:56 PM  Show Profile
Rocky Mountain Film Lab will process the film at a 20% discount coming to about $30.00 a roll---I have SEVENTY rolls. They do not guarantee anything and the turn around time is 6-months to ONE year.

This is so frustrating.

Made the huge mistake of taking 2 random rolls of 35 mm film to our local walgreen's After waiting patiently for almost two weeks we have learned that the order was canceled (Fuji Film) and no negatives. They claim they do not process 'professional' film. I am so mad! Thank goodness we only brought in two random rolls. But, to destroy the negatives? OUCH. I had no idea they did that.

So, I am back to square one---Does any farmgirl process vintage film or know of a reliable site online that can process all this historic film I have?

I am at my wits end.....

Won at auction a vintage 35 mm Cannon Camera, Movie-maker camera, two HUGE lenses (still with lens caps)-Movie cutting devices, a tripod, and cool foam lined metal attache case to hold all the goodies..... and 70 rolls of undeveloped 35 mm film! Paid a whopping $32.00 for the whole shebang.

Any photographers out there? I don't know a thing about cameras let alone vintage cameras and 35 mm film. Do you think it can still be developed? The owner was meticulous about all the photography equipment and the cameras and all the film is stored in the little lidded containers still...

Would appreciate hearing from our resident camera buffs-

Melody

Edited by - melody on Aug 11 2016 4:18:59 PM

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2016 :  6:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Take it to a professional camera store, not just a Walgreens or something. Talk to the workers there, they should be able to help. Really cool to see what is one there!!!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2016 :  6:06:53 PM  Show Profile
I wonder why so many rolls went undeveloped? It's a mystery.....

Melody
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2016 :  6:09:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Probably forgot about them? I am a photographer and I know I have to force myself to download and organize them every week or else I get in trouble. LOL

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2016 :  6:13:34 PM  Show Profile
I just can't imagine not processing the rolls. I am hoping there is a possibility that some of what is on there can be developed. I very curious to see! The stamp on the attache case that holds all the lenses and cameras says the address is based in Lubbock, TX. I wonder how it ended up here in the Great North Woods?

Melod
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7492 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7492 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2016 :  7:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
What is Nam? Viet Nam? Have you tried to contact the Lubbock address to try and find the previous owner?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  07:34:22 AM  Show Profile
WOWSA, Melody! What a find and deal! Kudos to you, sister! I would love to know what you end up doing about that film... I recently found a small wooden box with a few instant cameras inside from when our son was a baby... I would be so thrilled to be able to salvage the pictures!!! I wonder what pictures you will find on that film!!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  09:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Last night my husband and I randomly picked 2 rolls out the bunch and he brought them into be developed. They will be ready in one week. Fingers crossed!!

I also contacted the auctioneer regarding where the 'lot' came from and he apparently knows the guy. He said he will give him my number and let him know that I am interested in finding out more about the camera and if he is the original owner or whether he purchased this lot at a previous auction.

The trail begins.......

Melody
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13626 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13626 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  09:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody,
I'll be you'll have a great adventure with this.

I have an Olympus 35mm camera with a wonderful wide-angle zoom lens. I love the camera but it went haywire. Between my hubby and me, I think we have 4-5 different Olympus cameras. But we also have our own digital cameras.
I used my 35 mm on all of our trips to Scotland/Ireland/Wales (total of three trips) and on our middle one, which was to all three countries, we were gone for a bit over a month. I came back with over 100 rolls of film to be developed! It cost a pretty penny but I knew it would and had it in my plan. I had numbered all the rolls and kept a log in a little spiral notebook and logged pics taken for each roll. When time to turn them in for developing I put a numbered label on the envelopes, with label stating that the photos for that roll needed to be returned to the envelope the roll came out of. It worked well! Probably wouldn't do it that way again . . I don't like sending all that film through security machines! And it was a lot of film to keep track of! But we have some wonderful photos!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Jul 22 2016 09:35:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  10:23:05 AM  Show Profile
What an awesome find, Melody! I'm super curious to see what is on the film. I hope you share what the pictures are when you get them back. Good luck with your adventure in finding the original owner!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  6:30:41 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Melody! My husband and I just found out about this: http://www.rescuedfilm.com/ I think you might enjoy checking it out!

Farmgirl Sister #5392

By His Grace, For His Glory
~Sharon

http://amerryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2016 :  7:38:06 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the link Sharon! I'll check it out.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13626 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13626 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2016 :  07:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Sharon, That is an interesting link . . have only taken a peek!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

my aprons - http://www.facebook.com/FarmFreshAprons

living life - www.snippetscja.blogspot.com

from my heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

from my hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

rachelbee
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Rachel
Carmel IN
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2016 :  06:20:42 AM  Show Profile
Please take it to a camera store and not a drugstore with a photo department. The workers at camera stores tend to be more knowledgeable and careful and will probably get excited about your find.

Rachel, #6992
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  6:43:25 PM  Show Profile
Ugh... I do not understand... They didn't give you ANYTHING back? That sounds very, very wrong! You would think they would simply give you back the negatives, as they ARE your property! I would have to make more waves about this. I wonder what the heck was on that film, Melody! Must've been some heavy stuff! SO sorry this happened to you. Do you know anyone who develops film as a hobby??? Maybe if you contact a local college and speak with their art or history department they can help. I am so upset for you! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  09:24:58 AM  Show Profile
That's not fair! I don't understand why they would take the film knowing they can't process it and then destroy it instead of giving it back to you. That makes me so mad for you. I hope you can find a place that can properly take care of your pictures.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  10:48:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm looking, but still no luck---Makes me very sad. Makes me wonder how many undeveloped rolls of 35 mm film are out there sitting in boxes never to be processed.

I'm pretty tenacious---I'm not going to give up.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  10:30:58 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
I'll check with my daughter, she's a photographer and shoots some film. She's in a group of film photographers and some of them process their own. She may have some ideas on where to get this developed. Is the film black & white or is it color?

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2016 :  04:43:45 AM  Show Profile
Both Kathy....Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

KathyC
True Blue Farmgirl

583 Posts

Kathy
Gastonia NC
USA
583 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2016 :  11:45:37 AM  Show Profile
Melody,

Stephanie May be able to help, sent you a PM with her contact info...call, text, or email her.
Good luck.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2016 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Kathy!

I just sent an email to Stephanie......

Melody
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2016 :  1:03:26 PM  Show Profile
What an adventure! I am shocked about the way the that store treated you. I know it is hard to find a camera store anymore, they are all gone. How about calling a college or a gallery? Keep us posted...this is such an interesting saga!

Farmgirl Hugs,
Nicole

PS What a cool find you have!!!

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters
Farmgirl of the Month, January 2013

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/

www.facebook.com/suburbanfarmgirlblogger
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  10:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Melody, have you decided to go with the Rocky Mountain Film Lab?

Krista
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2016 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh... $30.00 a roll? Makes me sick to my stomach. Here is all this historical film more than likely shot in Viet Nam-and who knows what else is there-and I find only ONE place that will process it without any guarantees-up to a year to develop and at that price... I don't know what I am going to do. Makes me very sad.

Melody
Go to Top of Page

NAGarcia
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Natalie
Gresham OR
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  06:38:49 AM  Show Profile
You might be better off trying at a HS or something? I know one of my daughters took a photography class last year and they learned how to process film.

Natalie

Farmgirl Sister #7004 May 2016
^*^ We are the weirdos, mister. ^*^
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

6951 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
6951 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2016 :  10:38:22 AM  Show Profile
I agree Melody. It's super crazy to wrap your mind around. I wish I knew how and could develop them for you. Maybe keep looking to see if by chance there is something else out there.

Krista
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Found someone! 70 Rolls Undeveloped 35mm film Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page