Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New from New Zealand Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Kaye
Hamilton
2 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  03:34:25 AM  Show Profile
Hello I'm Kaye from New Zealand, I found MJF's site while I was searching for help to get rid of an orange juice stain on our carpet. I no it is almost impossible, I am just forever hopeful!!
Any help there would be appreciated. Aside from that, I along with my husband and 2 preschool children live on a 12 acre block in Hamilton New Zealand. We moved rural just over a year ago, my husband was bought up in this area, but I love our space, and the children love it too. We work from home rearing day old chickens to point of lay for free range egg farms around the north island. So it will be interesting to compare some of our lifestyle with some of yours.
I had to smile when I read about the use of clothesline or rather lack of due to various reasons, nz is full of clotheslines and I don't know what I would do if I couldn't use mine. It would cost us a fortune to put everything in the drier over here. Having said that we are now into winter and most of the drying for the last 10 days has been done on the clothes rack in the lounge by the fire, we must be going to get a fine day soon. Forever hopeful.

Queenie

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  05:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Welcome,
I'm new to the Farmgirl Connection too, I found MJF about 1 year ago and have been amazed at the website with all the different foods, stories, etc.
Great products, and have just ordered the book (waiting by the mailbox).
I'm in Wisconsin, what is your winter like?
Do you get snow at all?
Tell us more about your area.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  07:18:23 AM  Show Profile
A big Washington state welcome to our new Kiwi friend, Kaye! I'm glad you found us! Isn't technology just amazing in that regard?
I am lucky enough to have visited New Zealand - both the North and South islands in the mid-80's, and I loved it!! What a beautiful pastoral country! I truly hope that it stays that way and doesn't get all developed with housing projects like our country is wont to do lately. Yes, please tell us more about your life in the country there. So nice to get other perspectives!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  3:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Hello new Zealand, nice to have you with us. Please tell us more about your country and lifestyle. looking forward to getting to know you. michele

"she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands". prov. 31:13
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to you in New Zealand from faraway Florida, USA. It will be great to hear about your farm life, and the raising of your day old chicks. I did not know they were raised in one place and then transported for free range sale. Tell us more about your farm!
jpbluesky

Heaven gives its glimpses only to those
Not in position to look too close.
from "A Passing Glimpse" by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 30 2005 :  4:27:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi and Welcome Kaye! So glad you are here from New Zealand. I have seen pictures of your country and it is spectacular! I would love to visit there someday. I look forward to hearing about life there and your farm! I live in the heart of the U.S. in Kansas. I just hung my wash out to dry in the wind. We have lots of BIG winds where I live! Again a warm welcome to you Kaye! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  06:45:58 AM  Show Profile
Welcome, Kaye!! My husband and I dream of vacationing in New Zealand (especially after watching Lord of the Rings....the scenery is, well, there's no words for it!) Can't wait to get to know you!

Take care,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  09:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning to you Kaye from another Washington state resident! Welcome, so glad you found us.
Your question abut an orange juice stain on the carpet.
I have used this trick for all types of fruit juice stains and have had really good results with most. First, what type of carpet do you have? My carpet was a man made fiber but stained horribly and regular stain removal for me was a routine especially since the builder had put the same light beige carpet in the dining room too. We had no eat in kitchen so with three kids and a lot of their friends over I had a lot of stains to work on. I had a bissell hot water cleaner that did a great job of removing the liquid from the spills but the cleaning solution did not take out the stains so I decided one day to try boiling water. We had a huge grape juice stain in the middle of the carpet. I first sprinkled baking soda on the stain after I had sucked up most of the liquid then slowly poured a whole quart of boiling water over the entire stain I then immediately started the bissel up again to suck out the water. It would work with a shop vac or a rented carpet cleaner too. After living there for 9 years I decided I never again would have carpet in a dining room!
I had a friend who was a navy wife tell me that fruit juice stains come out with boiling water and that cold water sets fruit juice stains. I found her advise very useful during those 9 years.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - May 31 2005 :  11:10:04 AM  Show Profile
Howdy Kaye Will look forward to hearing about your life in New Zealand. I have a friend named Helen who lived there in the 80's; her husband worked for a large computer company that had offices in NZ.

They eventually came back to the U.S., but she loved NZ so much that they plan to retire in New Zealand and actually give up their US citizenship to become citizens of NZ.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Kaye
Hamilton
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  04:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Hello Everyone, my apologies for not replying sooner, I don't always get the opportunity to get on the net, I only get the chance to do so at night, but Lisa my youngest one has put paid to that the last few nights. It is nice to know that some of you have visited here it is a beautiful country, the South Island is gorgeous and I haven't even seen it all myself. We have had rain on and off continuously, here in hamilton we are known for the occasional -3 degrees very frosty mornings or fog that will sometimes last all day, we don't get snow in Hamilton, but if you drive south for about 3 hours you will find some I think the mountain has had a good snowfall just recently, that will make the skiers happy.
For the chickens - this is a business started on a small scale about 30 years ago by my husbands father and he had always leased his sheds last year the property went on the market so it was decided we would purchase our own farm and build our own sheds, so here we are on the same road as grandad with 2 90m x 12 m sheds and another one only 50m x 12 just getting built, they will hold up to 43,000 birds. And we still have the use of the old sheds. We rear for farms who want anything from say 300 - 7000 birds reared at any one time. We then deliver them at the age the farmer wants them generally 16weeks but some time earlier, the truck has parts of the sides cut out to allow for air flow the birds are then caught in the small wee hours, long distance trips means they will start at 2am cause they are calmer, they are put in plastic crates and off they go. They all sit down for the trip, and there have never been any lost on a trip, amazing really. This city girl was amazed at the start process so she could have here egg for breakfast.
And then just because they don't think they have enough to do, they then make chaff cutter, grain crushers, calf feeders, chook houses, and egg washers. On the 15th of this month we have the Mystery Creek field days, a huge agricultural show, they have a site there. I look forward to going for a day each year, although it is quite a blokey thing with the occasional stuff of interest to me.
I am sure I have gone on far too much for one sitting, I talk a lot too!!
Eileen thanks for your help with my orange juice stain, I will have to try something soon, I think the carpet may be wool it had only just been put down by the last owners so it is only about 16months old. I do have a Bissell 'Little Green' and when I get a moment I was going to have a read of the book, when I bought the cleaning fluid they seemed to have only one sort available for this model.
Kaye

Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2005 :  09:34:36 AM  Show Profile
Hello Kaye! Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing your life with us. Keep toasty warm by your fire!
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic New from New Zealand Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page