KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  3:58:39 PM  Show Profile
Our bedroom needs painting, has anyone used MILK PAINT?
I have heard it's non-toxic and no fumes.
Just wondering if it's easy to use or not.
Thanks for any info.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - May 29 2005 :  8:12:02 PM  Show Profile
I have used milk paint for furniture and I have inadvertently tried to strip milk paint from furniture(nearly impossible).I have never heard of it being used on walls. Some of the major paint companies have fume free kidsroom paints that come in any color you could imagine. Maybe that's what your looking for? Milk paint is a sort of watery pigmented wash that allows the grain to show through on bare wood and on prepped wood many coats are necessary to get a good saturation of color. It becomes part of the wood grain when put on bare wood and cannot be removed no matter what you do. Hope that helps!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  4:25:28 PM  Show Profile
hi I'm a new farmgirl sister and leaning lots from you all. In my goat milk book. (Goats Produce Too! The Udder Real Thing Volume II)
I haven't tried it yet but would like to in my milking parlor this summer. Here is a receipt for you from this book.

Goat milk paint,
1 gal goat milk
6lb slake lime,
1/2 cup linseed oil,
3 oz calcim carbonate

mix all the ingredients in the order they are listed, mixing each ingredient thoroughly before adding the next. Recipe makes one gallon. Store in a tightly covered container. Mix thoroughly before using. Can be used inside on barn walls or in the house.
Slake lime and Calcium Cargonate can be purchased through a local hardware store or grain elevator. Color can be added by using a point pigment powder, available at an artist supply shop.
This paint is durable and safe for the house and the barn. Goat milk whitewash is great for those miling parlor walls! It has a clean scent and seems to help repel flies and insects.

Hope this help alittle for you. If you try it let me know how and what you think of it.
farmgirl sister #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
www.thenaturalabode.com sells milk paint for your interior decorating (walls). It's great stuff!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2009 :  09:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karen,

You're right! Milk paint is a "green" alternative to conventional paints. My husband is a painter and will be using soy based paints as much as people are receptive to it here in the Chippewa Valley, and one of the vendors we were looking at does carry a milk based paint.

If you need any more info, let me know, we can try and get you some info!

Jana
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Milk Paint Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page